Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:25 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Yep, but I wanted to avoid any confusion about where to use the comma. It would be a disaster if anyone, were, to, use, it, in, the, wrong, place, on, an, internet, forum,

tom
now, just admit it, you have become toooooo American, and didn't read the post, properly
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:30 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ben
You do put a comma before 'and' if you are linking what can be two separate sentences together. where you would take a natural breath

Not true. If you've put a comma before "and" then the chances are you have incorrectly structured your sentence, in a purely grammtical sense, as opposed to a natural speech sense.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
now, just admit it, you have become toooooo American, and didn't read the post, properly
admit what?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
anotherlimey - aren't you just saying the same as the comment I made regarding British English. However, as was asked - it is not optional in American English and American teachers are supposed to teach children in school that the comma (called here series commas) has to come before the 'and' when you are listing 3 or more items. Optional in British English, not optional in American English.

Just another one of those grammar differences between the two languages that some like to believe doesn't exist

I've read, more than once, that the use of this comma is optional in the UK and the US - that both are correct and that it is more a case of personal preference than anything else. Today this comma is still more widely used in American English than British English, but it isn't always used by American writers, just as it isn't always omitted by British writers. Of course, there will be teachers who will insist upon only one method being correct, but I wonder whether this stems more from how they were taught? To add further confusion, this comma is also known as the "Harvard Comma" (US).

Another example of different names for the same thing!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:27 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
If you aks me, Febuary was a particularly successful month.

AKS ????? are you taking the Michael out of an ethnic minority's mode of speech ?

Eubonics, Bubonics...........
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:43 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Not true. If you've put a comma before "and" then the chances are you have incorrectly structured your sentence, in a purely grammtical sense, as opposed to a natural speech sense.

Coordinating Conjunction (CC)

The seven coordinating conjunctions used as connecting words at the beginning of an independent clause are and, but, for, or, nor, so, and yet. When the second independent clause in a sentence begins with a coordinating conjunction, a comma is needed before the coordinating conjunction:
Example: Jim studied in the Sweet Shop for his chemistry quiz, but it was hard to concentrate because of the noise. (CC)

And just to confirm - quote from 7th grade English grammar and composition book:

"Compound Sentences - use a comma before and, but, or, nor, for, and yet when they join independent clauses in a compound sentence;

for example: Betty offered to get the tickets, and I accepted.

As I said, when you are linking what can be two seperate sentences (or independent clauses - didn't use this way because many may not understand exactly what it means ) you put a comma in American English.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:48 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I've read, more than once, that the use of this comma is optional in the UK and the US - that both are correct and that it is more a case of personal preference than anything else. Today this comma is still more widely used in American English than British English, but it isn't always used by American writers, just as it isn't always omitted by British writers. Of course, there will be teachers who will insist upon only one method being correct, but I wonder whether this stems more from how they were taught? To add further confusion, this comma is also known as the "Harvard Comma" (US).
That maybe the case and I always remember at school being taught that you never put a comma before 'and'. However, it isn't just something that teachers learnt at school and therefore pass on to their pupils. If you look at any of the sites I have already posted, which are used for undergraduate and graduate students writing final papers (therefore showing it isn't just teachers in schools) you will see they all recommend using the comma when stringing 3 or more item together with an 'and' between second to last and last item

And to quote from 7th grade text book again;

"Use commas to separate items in a series. A series is threee or more items written one after another. The items may be words, groups of words, phrases, or clauses.

example: December, January, and February are all summer months.

NOTE - some writers omit the comma before the 'and' between the last two items of a series. Nevertheless, you should form the habit of including this comma, since a comma is sometimes necessary to make your meaning clear. etc.

If you are taking English in college, it is important that it is right because a professor will mark it wrong and at that level will gladly deduct marks showing that you need to learn this point - and I think that is why you will find teachers try and instill this point in their pupils at school. Hoping one day they will go onto college Fat bloody chance with some, I know, but there you go

Just as a lot of things in this life, for everyday use it isn't a be all and end all - and I am even at that point with some spelling too. If someone spells something phonetically, then fine. As long as we can read and understand it then leave it alone because you never know that one day that spelling may just become the norm (or back into fashion like rime instead of rhyme). However, if you are needing the american English for college work, unfortunately you do need to know and use the correct form. although I have on occasion forced our own spelling on American professors just waiting for them to correct it No one has yet
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:49 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
AKS ????? are you taking the Michael out of an ethnic minority's mode of speech ?

Eubonics, Bubonics...........
erm, this is normal speech for people from Brooklyn - got nothing to do with ethnicity. And the worst thing is when you hear a teacher actually say it! Oh well, maybe in 10 years time I might actually pick this habit up
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
That maybe the case and I always remember at school being taught that you never put a comma before 'and'. However, it isn't just something that teachers learnt at school and therefore pass on to their pupils. If you look at any of the sites I have already posted, which are used for undergraduate and graduate students writing final papers (therefore showing it isn't just teachers in schools) you will see they all recommend using the comma when stringing 3 or more item together with an 'and' between second to last and last item

And to quote from 7th grade text book again;

"Use commas to separate items in a series. A series is threee or more items written one after another. The items may be words, groups of words, phrases, or clauses.

example: December, January, and February are all summer months.

NOTE - some writers omit the comma before the 'and' between the last two items of a series. Nevertheless, you should form the habit of including this comma, since a comma is sometimes necessary to make your meaning clear. etc.

If you are taking English in college, it is important that it is right because a professor will mark it wrong and at that level will gladly deduct marks showing that you need to learn this point - and I think that is why you will find teachers try and instill this point in their pupils at school. Hoping one day they will go onto college Fat bloody chance with some, I know, but there you go

Just as a lot of things in this life, for everyday use it isn't a be all and end all - and I am even at that point with some spelling too. If someone spells something phonetically, then fine. As long as we can read and understand it then leave it alone because you never know that one day that spelling may just become the norm (or back into fashion like rime instead of rhyme). However, if you are needing the american English for college work, unfortunately you do need to know and use the correct form. although I have on occasion forced our own spelling on American professors just waiting for them to correct it No one has yet

I'm sure people pay lots of money to have dinner with you....

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 7th 2005 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would, but I'd also pay to have dinner with you too, anotherlimey
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:14 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

lol - pretty sad really, isn't it

just full of these useless bit of information
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
I take it you're married? Please clone yourself and send either copy to me

Amy, full of trivia that rarely comes in handy but when it does, it *really* does!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ben

Are you single? If not please clone yourself, send me a copy, and we'll happily discuss arcana for many years
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:26 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Are you hedging your bets there, snowbunny - married, single, ooooooh now lets see.

My other half is also full of useless information. Would you like two clones
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:25 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ben

Whereas I am a veritable font of forgetfulness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.