Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

Originally Posted by ImHere
I think you'll find jelly, in the UK at least, is more something made with hot water and sugar plus a load of artifical colourings and flavours...normally shovelled down kids throats in abundance with cream at parties.
Yes, there is that meaning too. aka jello.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:28 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
But isn't the usage the same in both the UK and the US. That is:
a preserve made with whole fruit = jam / conserve
a preserve made with juice but no whole fruit = jelly
Nope - unless they've been 'americanized' I don't think anyone in the UK would say jelly instead of jam as the stuff that goes on toast would they? Least, not round our way. Jelly's the stuff you have at kids parties with ice cream...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:31 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nope - unless they've been 'americanized' I don't think anyone in the UK would say jelly instead of jam as the stuff that goes on toast would they? Least, not round our way. Jelly's the stuff you have at kids parties with ice cream...
Ah the perils of replying as I read rather than waiting till I catch up with the end of the thread.....must be time for bed
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I offer you this BBC food recipe as an example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ly_13698.shtml
You will notice that the method calls for filtering the fruit out of the mixture - the difference between jelly and jam. All I know is that I was knowingly eating both jellies and jams before I ever boarded an aerocraft to the US.

Even better: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/news_and_e...nalglut3.shtml

Last edited by AdobePinon; Mar 7th 2005 at 5:00 am.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:35 am

I offer you this BBC food recipe as an example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ly_13698.shtml
You will notice that the method calls for filtering the fruit out of the mixture - the difference between jelly and jam. All I know is that I was knowingly eating both jellies and jams before I ever boarded an aerocraft to the US.

Even better: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/news_and_e...nalglut3.shtml
But they do put it in jam jars
and you also get jelly in pork pies, on eels, in lubricants and all sorts of things, but if asked, I'd lay odds that 9/10 (non-americanized) brits would say they'd have jelly with cream/ice-cream rather than on their toast.... guess you're the 1 in 10
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:52 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mediaguru
This isn't a troll, I just remember that I used to use the word "aeroplane" and even remember learning how to spell it back in England, but at some point I switched to using and saying "airplane". When did it switch? Everyone I know, both from the UK and America says "airplane" now which has only 2 syllables. Does anyone use the 3-syllable "aeroplane" anymore? Has it died out like the way that "luggage" is being replaced by "baggage"?
changing to Airplane is just one of many words...i've forgot what's U.k and what's U.S
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What is the Oxford comma? Same as the penultimate comma (next to last item in a list, eg cherries, bananas(,) and apples)?

!
Yes, apparently the British omit that comma, whilst Americans include it. But the confusion came about when some Brits started including the comma and some Americans started excluding it. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule in place anymore, both are considered to be correct - but I still have to resist the urge to correct the childrens homework when they include it! lol
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:39 pm
ImHere

I always learnt it as never put a comma before and. I believe that was the correct grammar at the time I was in school.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:58 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

The correct rule here (and one the teachers are supposed to enforce) is if you are listing 3 or more items you put a comma before the 'and', always. Known as series commas. Even if the school aren't a stickler for this one, you go to college and you may just find a pain in the neck professor that likes the correct use of the American English language

http://www.writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipoct96.htm

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...ommaproof.html the purdue site is very commonly used for college writing centers.

It is optional in the UK (in other words it wouldn't be wrong if you did use it although a teacher may disagree and correct the use before 'and'), but rarely used in this way.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:59 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I always learnt it as never put a comma before and. I believe that was the correct grammar at the time I was in school.
You do put a comma before 'and' if you are linking what can be two separate sentences together. where you would take a natural breath
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:00 pm
Powder Maggot

That's how I learned it too. But I understand and appreciate the American way. For example:

"There were buckets containing apples, pears and grapes, bananas, oranges and strawberries and peaches."

Is that four buckets or five?

You end up substituting to clarify:

"There were buckets containing apples, pears with grapes, bananas, oranges with strawberries and peaches."

Or inserting the comma. Or learning to write more carefully.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't understand why so many people are surprised that English in the US is spelled and pronounced differently than it is in Britain, or that the vocabulary is different. I mean, seriously, they are two different countries separated by an ocean.

Language is fluid, flexible. It will change and adapt over time and distance. Even though I am a native US citizen, there are times when I've heard other native US citizens talk, who are from other parts of the country (especially those from the deep, DEEP south) and I can't understand them to save my life. So what?

The same holds true for other languages as well. I remember years ago befriending a couple from Argentina while on a cruise. I was living in Chile at the time, and since my Spanish was better than their English, we conversed in Spanish. During one conversation, I mentioned that I like to collect t-shirts from the countries I travel to. When I told them that I had lots of t-shirts -- "tengo muchas poleras" -- their eyes got very wide and their mouths dropped open.

With very confused looks on their faces, they asked me to repeat myself, and I said "Tengo muchas poleras... erm, camisetas" -- and upon hearing me say camisetas they looked a bit relieved and started laughing. It turned out that while polera means "t-shirt" in Chile, in Argentina polera means "a slit throat"!! Does that mean that Chilean Spanish is better than Argentine Spanish, or vice versa? No -- it just means their dialects are different.

Same goes for American vs British English. To me, lorry will always, first and foremost, be a girl's name -- not a truck. To you, hearing someone use the word pants to describe the trousers they're wearing sounds odd. YOU may think American English sounds strange, just like WE think your British English sounds strange, but it doesn't mean one is better than the other.

~ Jenney
You seem to be missing the point.
When using the exact same English words, not different words for same object:

English: Lorry American: Lory
English: Trousers American: Trousirs

It's one thing to create new words for the dictionary; it's a completely different thing to change the spelling of an existing word in the dictionary (misspelling).
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

That's how I learned it too. But I understand and appreciate the American way. For example:

"There were buckets containing apples, pears and grapes, bananas, oranges and strawberries and peaches."

Is that four buckets or five?

You end up substituting to clarify:

"There were buckets containing apples, pears with grapes, bananas, oranges with strawberries and peaches."

Or inserting the comma. Or learning to write more carefully.
Just for clarification, here's the askoxford.com definition:

The 'Oxford comma' is an optional comma before the word 'and' at the end of a list:
We sell books, videos, and magazines.
It is so called because it was traditionally used by printer's readers and editors at Oxford University Press. Sometimes it can be necessary for clarity when the items in the list are not single words:
These items are available in black and white, red and yellow, and blue and green.
Some people do not realize that the Oxford comma is acceptable, possibly because they were brought up with the supposed rule (which Fowler would call a 'superstition') about putting punctuation marks before and.

And, here is their guide to using a comma:

Comma

The comma marks a slight break between words, phrases, etc. In particular, it is used:

to separate items in a list, e.g.

• We bought some shoes, socks, gloves, and handkerchiefs
  • red, white, and blue (or red, white and blue)
  • potatoes, peas, or carrots (or potatoes, peas or carrots).
to separate adjectives that describe something in the same way, e.g.>

• It is a hot, dry, dusty place
but not if they describe it in different ways, e.g.

• a distinguished foreign author
or if one adjective adds to or alters the meaning of another, e.g.

• a bright red tie.
to separate main clauses, e.g.

• Cars will park here, and coaches will turn left.
to separate a name or word used to address someone, e.g.

• David, I'm here
  • Well, Mr Jones, we meet again
  • Have you seen this, my friend?
to separate a phrase, e.g.

• Having had lunch, we went back to work.
especially in order to clarify meaning, e.g.

• In the valley below, the village looked very small.
after words that introduce direct speech, or after direct speech where there is no question mark or exclamation mark, e.g.

• They answered, `Here we are.'
  • `Here we are,' they answered.
after Dear Sir, Dear Sara, etc., and Yours faithfully, Yours sincerely, etc. in letters.

to separate a word, phrase, or clause that is secondary or adds information or a comment, e.g.

• I am sure, however, that it will not happen
  • Fred, who is bald, complained of the cold.
but not with a relative clause (one usually beginning with who, which, or that) that restricts the meaning of the noun it follows, e.g.

• Men who are bald should wear hats.
No comma is needed between a month and a year in dates, e.g.

• in December 1999
or between a number and a road in addresses, e.g.

• 45 Lake Street
It's all very interesting isn't it

-tom
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:06 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

anotherlimey - aren't you just saying the same as the comment I made regarding British English. However, as was asked - it is not optional in American English and American teachers are supposed to teach children in school that the comma (called here series commas) has to come before the 'and' when you are listing 3 or more items. Optional in British English, not optional in American English.

Just another one of those grammar differences between the two languages that some like to believe doesn't exist
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
anotherlimey - aren't you just saying the same as the comment I made regarding British English. However, as was asked - it is not optional in American English and American teachers are supposed to teach children in school that the comma (called here series commas) has to come before the 'and' when you are listing 3 or more items. Optional in British English, not optional in American English.

Just another one of those grammar differences between the two languages that some like to believe doesn't exist
Yep, but I wanted to avoid any confusion about where to use the comma. It would be a disaster if anyone, were, to, use, it, in, the, wrong, place, on, an, internet, forum,

tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.