Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When can i leave the usa

When can i leave the usa

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all
Default When can i leave the usa

Hello all

We are very new to the forum and here is our question,

My hubby is from the United Kingdom and wishes to enter the United states on a K1 visa , on entering the we understand we have to file for an
I-131 Application For Travel Document and pay a whopping $110 fee to leave the country , if we get an approval

1) How many times can he go back and forth
2) Do we have to pay the fee again if we make another request
3) When will he be able to leave the country freely to travel for a holiday

Any help would be nice..
Old Jun 3rd 2002, 10:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When can i leave the usa

At the time of filing for AOS your husband can submit an I-131 and request multi-entry. Normally it is issued for one year or for the length of months (within that year) that the local INS office you are using feels it will take for the AOS interview to be scheduled.

A multi-entry A/P can be used for an unlimited number of trips. It can be renewed prior to its expiration for another fee. This is the same for the EAD. You pay again when it expires.

He is free to travel whenever he likes. He will be free to travel and return to the US without INS considering his AOS abandoned as soon as he has the A/P in his hands.

R
Old Jun 3rd 2002, 12:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Help wrote:
    > My hubby is from the United Kingdom and wishes to enter the United states on a K1
    > visa , on entering the we understand we have to file for an I-131 Application For
    > Travel Document and pay a whopping $110 fee to leave the country , if we get an
    > approval
    >
    > 1) How many times can he go back and forth
    > 2) Do we have to pay the fee again if we make another request
    > 3) When will he be able to leave the country freely to travel for a holiday
    >
When you file the I-131, specify that he wants advance parole with 'Multiple
re-entry', which allows him to leave and re-enter as many times as he wishes, for the
life of the advance parole docs. Most offices grant it for one year when they issue,
however it's at the office's discretion and sometimes they only issue for six months
validity. How long it takes to get it depends on the local office. If you respond
with the name of your local office, some of those using that office might be able to
tell you their experience.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 2:20 pm
Des

Hi there,

if you are already married, a K-1 visa is NOT an option because that it is intended
for _the fiance_ of a USC only.

1. if you are living in the UK with him (legally & for more than 6 months), file for
DCF (direct consular filing) and have him enter the US with as a permanent
resident (conditional if married less than 2 years) - no AP papers etc. necessary.
He can work and travel without restrictions immediately.

2. if you are living in the US, and he is in the UK, file for a K-3 visa to be
together. Once in the US, you have to go through the adjustment process, of which
the I-131 is a part. You can apply for a multiple AP, leave and return as often
as you like during the validity of your AP (usually one year). After that, the AP
has to be renewed, as has the EAD, if you have not had the final adjustment
interview yet.

Check out Alvena's or Rete's signatures - they have very helpful links.

- Des

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all

Thanks A Mill

You have solved me questions
Old Jun 3rd 2002, 3:20 pm
Michele Sharik

Help <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hello all

Hi!

> My hubby is from the United Kingdom and wishes to enter the United states on a K1
    > visa , on entering the we understand we have to file for an I-131 Application For
    > Travel Document and pay a whopping $110 fee to leave the country , if we get an
    > approval
    >
    > 1) How many times can he go back and forth

If you state on your application for Advance Parole (the I-131) that he needs it for
multiple entries, then he can go back & forth as many times as he wants, as long as
he shows his papers each time.

> 2) Do we have to pay the fee again if we make another request

Yes, to renew an AP, you must pay the fee again.

> 3) When will he be able to leave the country freely to travel for a holiday

Once he has the AP document, he should be able to travel freely. Just make sure to
have the documents with him while travelling.

-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met (in person) in Dallas, TX June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10,
2001: submitted I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17,
2001: fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May
28, 2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1,
2002: INS Medical Exam