British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   When businesses are not regulated (appropriately) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/when-businesses-not-regulated-appropriately-768348/)

HarryTheSpider Aug 14th 2012 8:21 pm

When businesses are not regulated (appropriately)

I was staggered to hear about this - it would never even have occurred to me from a hiring standpoint to ask for Facebook login details during hiring...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19251616

What's the matter with some people/businesses?

md95065 Aug 15th 2012 12:56 am

Re: When businesses are not regulated (appropriately)

It is insane.

The employer can see whatever is visible to the public on a social media site without the need for any passwords (as can anybody else).

They have no more right to see private password protected information than they have to read your personal mail (be it email or snail mail) or to eavesdrop on conversations outside of the workplace ...

kimilseung Aug 15th 2012 1:10 am

If I was faced with this in an interview I could only treat it as a trick question and explain that if I was to breach my own security in such a way, I would be demonstrating myself as an inappropriate candidate for the job, as I would be a weak link in the company's security structure. Do not think I would work for someone who insisted I hand it over, as they would be demonstrating such ignorance of appropriate social boundaries.

Giantaxe Aug 15th 2012 2:13 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10227563)
I was staggered to hear about this - it would never even have occurred to me from a hiring standpoint to ask for Facebook login details during hiring...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19251616

What's the matter with some people/businesses?

Not just companies but government bodies as well apparently. The sad thing is that there are enough desperate people out there that some will go along with it.

Bob Aug 15th 2012 3:15 am

Another case of this happening?

It's daft because if you were desperate enough to take such a job, you'd change the password straight after anyway.

But it does cross the boundary.

md95065 Aug 15th 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10227931)
It's daft because if you were desperate enough to take such a job, you'd change the password straight after anyway.

Or you just keep two accounts - the real one and a one for showing to prospective employers ...

GeoffM Aug 15th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10227947)
Or you just keep two accounts - the real one and a one for showing to prospective employers ...

And when the employer finds out?

Bluegrass Lass Aug 15th 2012 12:53 pm

This is old news, at least a few months old. I don't think it's a different case (but I could always be wrong).

If any employer asks me for login details to any personal account, well I'll try to keep my reply polite. Suffice to say, they won't get the information. I'll be moving on from that job quicker than a heartbeat.

kimilseung Aug 15th 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10228587)
This is old news, at least a few months old. I don't think it's a different case (but I could always be wrong).

The new news is that in some jurisdictions it is being made illegal.

Giantaxe Aug 15th 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10229114)
The new news is that in some jurisdictions it is being made illegal.

Which also indicates that this practice is at least somewhat widespread.

sir_eccles Aug 15th 2012 7:05 pm

The big problem comes when HR reads information on your profile that legally they cannot ask you about during an interview. What if they suddenly find out your religion, race, or sexual orientation, perhaps you just posted that you are expecting a child, or you have a post complaining how hard it is to get around as a disabled person...

Wow I didn't get the job? You sounded so positive at the end of the interview. You said checking my Facebook was a formality before making the offer. What made you change your mind?

Lawsuit.

Bluegrass Lass Aug 15th 2012 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10229203)
The big problem comes when HR reads information on your profile that legally they cannot ask you about during an interview. What if they suddenly find out your religion, race, or sexual orientation, perhaps you just posted that you are expecting a child, or you have a post complaining how hard it is to get around as a disabled person...

Wow I didn't get the job? You sounded so positive at the end of the interview. You said checking my Facebook was a formality before making the offer. What made you change your mind?

Lawsuit.

That's why my profile is private. They couldn't see anything I post on my FB Wall, unless they use some kind of snooping software (which should be made illegal). But yes, if they use something on a person's page to decide whether to hire them or not, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 16th 2012 12:07 am

Why not just delete anything you do not want out there?

I do have a facebook page but nothing on it I would not want plastered on the front door.

kimilseung Aug 16th 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10229615)
Why not just delete anything you do not want out there?

I do have a facebook page but nothing on it I would not want plastered on the front door.

Then you are not gay, smoke dope, a wiccan; I do not know 1001 things that some HR busy body might object to. Why not give them the keys to your house?

I put on new underwear each day, but I am not letting anyone from HR inspect them.

Sally Redux Aug 16th 2012 12:17 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10229622)
Then you are not gay, smoke dope, a wiccan; I do not know 1001 things that some HR busy body might object to. Why not give them the keys to your house?

I put on new underwear each day, but I am not letting anyone from HR inspect them.

Viz :lol:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_448y6kVhnt...600/bottom.jpg