Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When to apply for Green Card through marriage?

When to apply for Green Card through marriage?

Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Emily894 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to apply for Green Card through marriage?

Yeah I think that's what we'll do. I find it all so confusing and just want to get it right !
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My mistake --- forget the divorce part.

Why not marry in the US now and adjust status?
Ha, my first thought was exactly the same as yours.

OP, the first thing that came up when I googled "O2 visa" indicates that they are not dual intent (whereas O1s are). Assuming that the internet is correct on that point, you have to be careful: if you marry a USC abroad and then enter on the O2 with intent to adjust status, you can get in trouble. If you marry now and immediately file for adjustment, you only have to be able to convincingly argue that this plan has come up since you last entered on the O2. (I think.) While you probably wouldn't get your green card by September, you should be able to get advance parole and an EAD within about three months of filing, so you'd still be able to go back to the UK as planned.

EDIT: Sensible-looking (ie written by lawyers) page 1 Google results are split roughly 50-50 on whether O2 holders have to maintain a foreign domicile to which they intend to return.

Last edited by zerlesen; Mar 15th 2012 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
... it depends on whether an O-2 is a dual intent visa.
Well, no - not really... it doesn't. You know my standard response in this situation... however, I agree that an attorney may be able to explain the nuances to her.

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily894
Even if I have a valid 02 visa? I don't see how if I have a visa that says I work over here, I'm the only one that can do that job, then they could turn me away at immigration?
It's a non-immigrant visa, but you're coming to stay and adjust status to a resident. May be an issue, may not. As Noorah says, speak to a lawyer. But don't rule out having a quick wedding now and a big ceremony in the UK in September -- sometimes you have to bend a little to make immigration laws work for you.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's what I'm starting to realise. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.... I'll speak to our lawyer and see what he suggests. If that's what we have to do then that's what we'll do....
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Right. Who is the O-1 visa holder, I wonder?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The O2 is for support personnel... like the road crew for a band.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

How would that affect the situation?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't. I'm just wondering.

Regards, JEff

How would that affect the situation?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's what I'm starting to realise. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.... I'll speak to our lawyer and see what he suggests. If that's what we have to do then that's what we'll do....
Nobody has to know (except your lawyer and USCIS of course) that you had a quickie wedding. My DH and I had a first quickie wedding, then a big family wedding later on. To this day (4 years on) our families are none the wiser for it.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some 'been there done that' advice please. I'm currently in the US on an 02 visa (expires 2013). My fiance and I are getting married in the UK on September 1st 2012. He's Californian and we live here (California) together at the moment. I'm just trying to find out when's the best time to apply for my green card - do I do it after we get married in the UK, can I apply beforehand, or could I (ideal situation) apply from the US when we come back after getting married?
I know there are so many hoops to jump through regarding immigration and I don't want to mess anything up and hold it back. I just want it to run as smoothly as possible, if anyone has any experience / advice with this it would be much appreciated - Thank You!

Emily
Why do I hear Kris Kristofferson [or Janis Joplin] crooning "Somewhere near Salinas, I let him slip away...?"

Consultation with immigration counsel is advised. Quite competent immigration attorneys are just up the road in San Jose or in the City.

"Dual intent" is a subject of debate. There has long been a debate on what "intent" really means.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

UPDATE: I've briefly spoken to our lawyer about this and yes, it looks like we need to get married here, apply for adjustment of status, then go ahead and have the big ceremony / blessing in the UK as planned. Thank you all for your help.

So the next question is... when do they ask all the questions about the legitimacy of our relationship? I assume it's as the adjustment of status is being processed, rather than the actual marriage ceremony? Our relationship is 100% legitimate, we just want to be prepared..... Again, any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So the next question is... when do they ask all the questions about the legitimacy of our relationship? I assume it's as the adjustment of status is being processed, rather than the actual marriage ceremony? Our relationship is 100% legitimate, we just want to be prepared..... Again, any advice would be much appreciated.
The steps are as follows:

1. Get married (they don't ask any questions)
2. File AOS package (no questions during this phase except for answering all questions honestly on all the forms)
3. Appear in person for an AOS interview, if required (there isn't always an interview, sometimes you get approved without one). If you have an interview, this is where they will ask the questions and you will hand over copies of evidence of your joint life together.

It takes about 6 months to get from number 2 to number 3.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Great thanks Rene, that's very helpful.

Do you know if I will be able to travel anytime during this period? We currently have deposits on a reception venue for the 1st Sept in England, I just hope there's some way we can make that work....
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks Rene, that's very helpful.

Do you know if I will be able to travel anytime during this period? We currently have deposits on a reception venue for the 1st Sept in England, I just hope there's some way we can make that work....
As part of the AOS package, there will be form I-131 which is an application for Advance Parole. It takes about 90 days to get this in-hand after filing AOS. This is what enables you to travel outside the USA without abandoning your AOS process.

I do not know how having an O visa affects the AP document and travel...this would something to ask your lawyer. Ask *before* you leave the USA.

Also, I wouldn't make any definite marriage plans overseas, or book anything that can't be refunded, just in case you can't make that September date. If you file the AOS in March, you are possibly looking at a September AOS interview date. If that date falls during the time you're supposed to be in the UK, you will have to cancel the UK plan. It's not a good idea to reschedule an AOS interview, because there's no guarantee the cancellation will get to the right person in time, and you'll be a no-show at your AOS interview, which means an automatic denial.

Best bet is to wait until you have your green card in hand, and then make firm plans for the ceremony in the UK.

Rene