Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

when to apply for citizenship?

when to apply for citizenship?

Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:34 pm
laadla

bhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nice
Default when to apply for citizenship?

My experiece: in June 2005 we applied for I-751 removal of conditions on my 2 year card. I got a letter of approval this January.I went to the USIS office and they stamped my passport. Just afret that, I left US for 6 weeks with just the 551 stamp. Meanwhile my 10 yr card arrived.
On boarding, they did ask me about the Card but without a hassel i landed on the US. At POE, the ofiicer directed me to the other window, where after a short wait an officer asked me few Qs like why i went, what i do for living? how i'd reach home? why i dont have the card? etc ... I told him the card arrived after i left the US. and i was all set. In short, its Ok to travel out of US with just the 551 stamp but its better to have the GC. [ i lost my job though]
Now, I would like to know when i would be able to apply for my citizenship. Is it 5 yrs or 3 yrs or 10yrs?. My K1 case was appoved on june 2003. Also, do i have to read some books on American History or something?
Thanks guys for all your help so far...
b-hola
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:17 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to apply for citizenship?

Originally Posted by bhola
Is it 5 yrs or 3 yrs or 10yrs?. My K1 case was appoved on june 2003. Also, do i have to read some books on American History or something?
Thanks guys for all your help so far...
b-hola
If at the time you apply you are still married to and living with the same USC who sponsored your GC you can apply 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of the date you were approved for a GC (that is the dat on your first I-551 stamp). Look ehere: http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp for very brief details of tests you will have to pass. These may change between now and your application, so check regularly.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

skrbal537 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a little confused too.

When can a person who came under K3 apply for citizenship?

1- 3 years from the date they arrived in US

OR

2- 3 years from the date they received their greencard (2 year temp)
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skrbal537
I am a little confused too.

When can a person who came under K3 apply for citizenship?

1- 3 years from the date they arrived in US

OR

It doesn't matter under which visa you entered the USA, or how long you've been married. It depends on the date you became a PR (CPR or LPR, makes no difference).

IN GENERAL - 3 years if married to the same USC, 5 years if not. There are other requirements you need to meet, such as physical presence in the USA, etc., so each case will be different in that respect.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skrbal537
Anyone who received their GC through the sponsorship of a USC spouse, can apply for naturalization 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the date their PR status was approved as evidenced by the date on their GC - as long as they are still married to and still living with that USC spouse. It is irrelevant whether or not there are still conditions on the GC or whether you have filed to have those conditions removed, you can apply for naturalization when you are otherwise eligible.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:03 pm
laadla

bhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nicebhola is just really nice

My conditional PR case based on K1 visa was approved on june 2003.That means, correct me plz, I can apply now!!
Thanks again
b-hola
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My conditional PR case based on K1 visa was approved on june 2003.That means, correct me plz, I can apply now!!
Thanks again
b-hola
Yes, as long as you meet all the other requirements.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
b-hola
Yes you can .........
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Girona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant futureGirona40 has a brilliant future

Thanks again
b-hola
Yes it does.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:41 pm
Voltes34

"skrbal537" <member49377@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    |
    |
    | When can a person who came under K3 apply for citizenship?
    |

If you stay K3, you are not eligible for citizenship. If you changed status
to LPR then you are qualified for citizenship 3 years from the date you
become an LPR. You are allowed to submit the application for naturalization
(N-440) 90 days before the 3rd year anniversary of your becoming an LPR
provided you are still married to your sponsor US citizen spouse.

Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:44 pm
Voltes34

Default Correction (Re: when to apply for citizenship?)

"Voltes34" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] t...

I meant to say: "Form N-400"

Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Voltes34
" If you changed status
to LPR then you are qualified for citizenship 3 years from the date you
become an LPR. You are allowed to submit the application for naturalization
(N-440) 90 days before the 3rd year anniversary of your becoming an LPR
provided you are still married to your sponsor US citizen spouse.
.....or CPR. Either one.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Anyone who received their GC through the sponsorship of a USC spouse, can apply for naturalization 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the date their PR status was approved as evidenced by the date on their GC - as long as they are still married to and still living with that USC spouse. It is irrelevant whether or not there are still conditions on the GC or whether you have filed to have those conditions removed, you can apply for naturalization when you are otherwise eligible.

Ian

Only partially true. You are eligible on to apply 90 days before the third anniversary of your becoming a [c][p] resident and you have celebrated your third wedding anniversary.

But it does not have to be to the USC you were married too at the time that made you eligible for residency in the first place.

Suppose you married Mr. X and become a cpr 90 days after marriage. You divorced Mr. X 6 month after your residency approval. You know have to wait 5 years for eligibility for naturalization. HOWEVER, you turned around and married Mr. Y two days after your divorce from Mr. X. So instead of now having to wait 5 years for eligibility, you again only have to wait 3 years if Mr. Y is a USC. So instead of 5 years from the cpr date, for this petitioner it would be 3 years from the anniversary date of her second wedding to Mr. Y (which would be approximately 3 years and 9 months after cpr status is obtained).

Remember the 90 days early filing is only for the filing eligibility. It does NOT pertain to the wedding anniversary. You have to been married a FULL 3 YEARS on the day of your filing.

Rete
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
b-hola
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?showtopic=311

USCIS Fact Sheets For Naturalization

General Naturalization Requirements
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases
Family Members of U.S. Citizens
Spouses of U.S. Citizens
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/Special.htm

Frequently Asked Questions About Naturalization
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#Top

In general, if you have been a Permanent Resident for three years and have been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years AND you meet the other criteria (Residence and Physical Presence, Good Moral Character, Language etc), you are eligible for naturalization.

So called "conditional residents" are Permanent Residents nonetheless.

5. When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/samplePRC.pdf

Physical Presence Is Important!
"An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
-has resided within a state or district for at least three months"
(for spouses of US Citizens filing under the "3 year" exception rule, change all "5 year" notes to 3 years)

Note from me: From the day you become a Permanent Resident, start keeping track of ALL time spent out of the US, including dates and dates of travel. Keep this list in one place, where it is easy for you to get at, and it will make completing N-400 much, much easier! Especially good idea for Canadians who cross the border a lot. Everyone should save whatever travel documentation available should it be required.

Fun!
Test Yourself on U.S. History:http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp
100 Sample U.S. History Questions with Answers:http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenshi..._questions.pdf
These are the actual interview questions. Applicants should know all 100 questions, although a random 10 are selected and asked in the interview.

"There are also exceptions for lawful permanent residents married to U.S. citizens stationed or employed abroad. Some lawful permanent residents may not have to comply with the residence or physical presence requirements when the U.S. citizen spouse is employed by one of the following:"
(see this page for more info)
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/Special.htm

There are also special rules for children. Please see the preceding links for more information on children and naturalization.

Dual Citizenship FAQ
Dual Nationality and
United States Law
by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

------
Any missing links, please visit the linked post for details.
m
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Only partially true. You are eligible on to apply 90 days before the third anniversary of your becoming a [c][p] resident and you have celebrated your third wedding anniversary.

But it does not have to be to the USC you were married too at the time that made you eligible for residency in the first place.

Suppose you married Mr. X and become a cpr 90 days after marriage. You divorced Mr. X 6 month after your residency approval. You know have to wait 5 years for eligibility for naturalization. HOWEVER, you turned around and married Mr. Y two days after your divorce from Mr. X. So instead of now having to wait 5 years for eligibility, you again only have to wait 3 years if Mr. Y is a USC. So instead of 5 years from the cpr date, for this petitioner it would be 3 years from the anniversary date of her second wedding to Mr. Y (which would be approximately 3 years and 9 months after cpr status is obtained).

Remember the 90 days early filing is only for the filing eligibility. It does NOT pertain to the wedding anniversary. You have to been married a FULL 3 YEARS on the day of your filing.

Rete
Wow! I got it the second time and had a bit of a chuckle. Y's new bride would now be an X--X, and a jumper (cavaletti ... inside joke for the horsey sect) OK. I'll go back under my rock now folks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.