Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats your town famous for?

Whats your town famous for?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Rapids...

The first city in the US to add floride to its drinking water.

It was also home to Gerald R Ford... the 38th President.

Ash
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats your town famous for?

Originally posted by BritishInOhio

National Champions and only ever unbeaten season, Ohio State Buckeye's
Plenty of college teams go unbeaten and claim the national title, if thats what you're claiming? Its almost a must if you wish to win it.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally posted by PrincessofWales

Good things
The Fall
The Fall!?!?!? They're from Manchester, UK, not Washington, DC!

Sorry - couldn't resist...

Anyway - San Jose... EVERYONE in the UK asked me if I knew the way there when I told them I was moving.

Pat
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally posted by Maggs

I moved to the US from Nuneaton in Warwickshire...
Hey Maggs,

Whereabouts in Nuneaton did you live? I grew up in Collycroft (the Nuneaton end of Bedworth) and worked a couple of summers at the 'Eliot.

Dolly Winthrop ward - I'll never forget that...

Pat
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Scottsdale, AZ

We are the Florida of the Southwest. Retirement homes a plenty for all those snow birds from back east.

Also like Florida, we are home to baseball spring training, hosting teams like the Giants, A's and the Angels in the cactus league, which also has the Cubs, Royals and many more big league teams who are situated in other AZ towns.

If you are a golfer you will find paradise in Scottsdale. There are about 50 golf courses just in Scottsdale. Championship courses of all types can be found here, including the Scottsdale TPC where the Phoenix Open is played each January as the first PGA tournament event of the year.

Scottsdale, Arizona actually has a slogan: The West's Most Western Town. With a population of over 200,000 and more than 300 days of sunshine each year, Scottsdale continues to grow its population as well as its tourism. More than 7 million people visit Scottsdale each year.

I stole that last titbit from another website

Last edited by Pimpbot; Nov 7th 2003 at 3:58 am.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:17 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Eugene, Oregon...not much really...the delectable Rose McGowan is from here, Animal House was filmed here, Steve Irwin's wife is from here, he married her in Eugene too...strewth!...tons of hippies...Nike owner Phil Knight went to the UNI here, plows millions into the local "football" team and school when it's needed.
Elvis played here not long before he died on the shitter. I think the guy who wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest hailed from here.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Plenty of college teams go unbeaten and claim the national title, if thats what you're claiming? Its almost a must if you wish to win it.
Were the only team ever to go 14-0.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Manassas... 2 battles in the Civil War, both wins for the South.

The first was where Stonewall Jackson earned his nickname.

The second was the only battle where Massa Robert got wounded. A Yankee sniper grazed his cheek.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Grand Rapids...

The first city in the US to add floride to its drinking water.

It was also home to Gerald R Ford... the 38th President.

Ash
An arguement for not adding flouride to water ?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:38 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Paul Newman lives here!...

I'll brain storm this with Todd at breakfast!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I come from Brixton in London which is famous for being the center of race riots in the 70s and now live in Chatham NJ, which I am sure was the setting for the film "Pleasentville" or maybe the stepford wifes.

Quite a change

Originally posted by Patrick
I am keeping an eye on the Ian Huntley trial as we moved from Soham to the US and was obviously there last Summer (could explain my shitty mood this week) and I was thinking that no-one had heard of Soham before that. That got me thinking to what your town/city/metroplex is famous for in the USA.

The metro area where I live is on TV at least once a week, the WB show one tree hill is shot here and the basketball scenes in the park overlook Wilmington.

Dawsons Creek was also filmed here and in the credits the beach they are on is the town where I live.

The biggest sea battle of the civil war was fought just off the bottom of the island I live on just before the mouth of the Cape Fear river.

The film Cape Fear was filmed here, as was domestic disturbance (john Travolta) and that dumb film with Steven Segal where he is chef on a ship (filmed on the USS North Carolina).

We also have the second highest teen pregnancy rate in the state (one every 28 seconds apparently)

And finally (in the same vein) my favorite claim to fame for my area - The Shag was invented here!

Patrick
Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:25 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pat
I lived in Crowhill for 12 years then bought a house in Attleborough for my two grown up kids last December. I was born and brought up in Wales though. I've done a few shifts at the Eliot but I worked for 11 years at Cov & Warwick, 2 years at Walsgrave, and a year at Warwick hospitals. I used to drive through Collycroft when I took my kids to Bedworth Swimming Pool when they were little! Great to talk to you.

Maggie

!
Originally posted by superpat
Hey Maggs,

Whereabouts in Nuneaton did you live? I grew up in Collycroft (the Nuneaton end of Bedworth) and worked a couple of summers at the 'Eliot.

Dolly Winthrop ward - I'll never forget that...

Pat
Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Indian Head, Maryland

Famous for the Naval Surface Warfare Centre (where I work)
The Tomahawk Cruise Missile was developed here, but not by me or during my time here !!

Other then that the town is a shit hole !

I've been following the recent Soham trial, and Patrick I remember when we were both going through our applications
and you were still living there.
I still find it very sad what happened and the current trial brings it all back.

Patrick glad to see you back in good spirits after a couple of recent posts of yours. They reminded me of me when I was struggling with the application process.

Good luck.

My birthplace in the UK, Haslemere in Surrey not really famous for anything.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:25 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

I thought Henderson, then Vegas were the fastest growing?

Originally posted by edwords
Gilbert, Arizona: fastest-growing town in the U.S.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:43 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a little off the original thread here...but when I was living in Wimbledon I ran into Dirty Den outside the Sainsburys...God did I really have a crush on that guy in the 80s...ew.

Cerys Matthews of Catatonia went to my school in Wales.

Went to university in Liverpool, purely on basis that that's where the Beatles came from!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.