British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's your story? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-your-story-710974/)

Infowarrior Mar 26th 2011 9:52 pm

What's your story?

Hello guys.

I just thought it might be interesting to start a thread where you can share your stories on how you got to the USA, or for those who haven't made it yet a progress update. And for those who've been in the USA a long time, how you feel about your decision now.

I'll start, my story isn't that exciting really but... it was 2008 when I realised that the USA was where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Things here in the UK have been winding me up for years and I couldn't really put my finger on why until I visited the USA.

It seemed that for the first time I could go visit a bar or restaurant and not feel like I've been ripped off. I could buy clothes and electronics without paying the 'Britain tax'. The first time I filled up my rental car tank for $20 was awesome. And of course, they love the accent which I assume helps to open doors. Oh and the California weather, wow!

It was just so refreshing to be away from our nanny state and to experience a culture that doesn't rely on government hand outs to exist. It seems here in the UK we are virtually taxed out of existence. Just the other day they threw us a bone in the budget, 1p off petrol which most garages haven't even bothered passing on to the motorist. I don't know, perhaps I read too many newspapers but everything about this country just winds me up!!

Anyway I was over in CA on a work visa for a few months and got a feel for the culture and was very unhappy to return to England which was an inevitability that could not be put off any further. On the flipside I did get romantically involved with a very nice young lady out there during that time and I returned about a month later for a wonderful Xmas holiday in Santa Cruz with her.

Seeing as she had just left her job I offered to let her stay with me in England for a couple of months. She flew out a couple of weeks after I left with the intention of staying two months then flying back. Well as it turned out, she never actually left! We ended up getting married nearly two years ago and filed for my green card a few months later.

Well, 1.5 years of waiting and the green card was received last week. My application was a fiasco start to finish thanks to my US immigration attorney. Now we're about to make that momentous decision to emigrate. We have so much to do before then its really daunting. So here we are now in a house full of cardboard boxes struggling to decide on exactly what date we ship ourselves and our two kittens out of here!

Hopefully it will not be a decision I come to regret, I'm very positive about the leap that we are about to make. I have only really my family here that I'll miss but I know a 13 hour plane journey is something I can only do so often.

Over to you...

marketlegend Mar 27th 2011 12:47 am

Re: What's your story?

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9266539)
Hello guys.

I just thought it might be interesting to start a thread where you can share your stories on how you got to the USA, or for those who haven't made it yet a progress update. And for those who've been in the USA a long time, how you feel about your decision now.

I'll start, my story isn't that exciting really but... it was 2008 when I realised that the USA was where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Things here in the UK have been winding me up for years and I couldn't really put my finger on why until I visited the USA.

It seemed that for the first time I could go visit a bar or restaurant and not feel like I've been ripped off. I could buy clothes and electronics without paying the 'Britain tax'. The first time I filled up my rental car tank for $20 was awesome. And of course, they love the accent which I assume helps to open doors. Oh and the California weather, wow!

It was just so refreshing to be away from our nanny state and to experience a culture that doesn't rely on government hand outs to exist. It seems here in the UK we are virtually taxed out of existence. Just the other day they threw us a bone in the budget, 1p off petrol which most garages haven't even bothered passing on to the motorist. I don't know, perhaps I read too many newspapers but everything about this country just winds me up!!

Anyway I was over in CA on a work visa for a few months and got a feel for the culture and was very unhappy to return to England which was an inevitability that could not be put off any further. On the flipside I did get romantically involved with a very nice young lady out there during that time and I returned about a month later for a wonderful Xmas holiday in Santa Cruz with her.

Seeing as she had just left her job I offered to let her stay with me in England for a couple of months. She flew out a couple of weeks after I left with the intention of staying two months then flying back. Well as it turned out, she never actually left! We ended up getting married nearly two years ago and filed for my green card a few months later.

Well, 1.5 years of waiting and the green card was received last week. My application was a fiasco start to finish thanks to my US immigration attorney. Now we're about to make that momentous decision to emigrate. We have so much to do before then its really daunting. So here we are now in a house full of cardboard boxes struggling to decide on exactly what date we ship ourselves and our two kittens out of here!

Hopefully it will not be a decision I come to regret, I'm very positive about the leap that we are about to make. I have only really my family here that I'll miss but I know a 13 hour plane journey is something I can only do so often.

Over to you...

After living here for almost a decade blighty isn't that bad, it's just the people that run it who are clueless interfering morons who are out of touch with the general public! I split my time between the US and GB and love and hate them both equally lol
One thing i do prefer about the states is the fact it is nothing to do with the EU and it is far away from France haha

Cape Blue Mar 27th 2011 1:15 am

Hello guys.

Over to you...

It's quite normal for those intending to leave a country to start finding holes in it and whinging about taxes and politicians - but you do realize you are moving to California right? Give it 12 months and you'll be complaining about the taxes, lack of healthcare, gas prices and inept politics here. Wait till you see the property taxes over here when you look to buy a place - a nice 3 bed house in Santa Cruz at $700K will cost you around $700 pcm in property tax.

I find people who abuse the benefits system to be equally bad as those who avoid paying their dues in the first place and try to leg it without paying their taxes ;) In the UK you pay your tax but you have a social safety net, in the US that net is a lot thinner - its amazing how many people get bankrupted over healthcare etc - something that is not an issue in the UK with their.

SF Bay Area, including Santa Cruz etc is a great place to live, but not cheap, good luck with your move.

Jools-Ann Mar 27th 2011 1:17 am

We have been here in GA 6 months and love it. Our story started 13 years ago! My now husband applied for his green card with his previous partner before he met me. His sister is a US citizen. Ten years later the case came up and we nearly missed the boat. In spite of notifying US Immigration of a new UK address, they sent it to our old one and the new owner binned the paperwork as she didn't think it was important!!

One year later my hubby's sister called US Immigration to find out what was happening and they informed her they were about to close the file as they had not heard back from us! We were on vacation in the Maldives at the time so when we got back to the UK we each had 5 voicemails on our mobiles from his sister begging us to contact her! It then took a further 2 years to sort out the green cards and sell our house in the UK. But it all came together and now we are here. I was made redundant in March last year but wasn't worried as I got enough of a pay out to tide me over for a year. Hubby resigned his job and we decided to come over and give it 6 months. Now, 6 months on, we both have excellent jobs, both have cars and have just moved into our own house. We feel very lucky that it all fell in place for us.

Would we go back to the UK, hell no!

Derrygal Mar 27th 2011 2:08 am

Hello guys.

It was just so refreshing to be away from our nanny state and to experience a culture that doesn't rely on government hand outs to exist. It seems here in the UK we are virtually taxed out of existence. Just the other day they threw us a bone in the budget, 1p off petrol which most garages haven't even bothered passing on to the motorist. I don't know, perhaps I read too many newspapers but everything about this country just winds me up!!Anyway I was over in CA on a work visa for a few months and got a feel for the culture and was very unhappy to return to England which was an inevitability that could not be put off any further. On the flipside I did get romantically involved with a very nice young lady out there during that time and I returned about a month later for a wonderful Xmas holiday in Santa Cruz with her.

Over to you...

Originally Posted by Jools-Ann (Post 9266770)
We have been here in GA 6 months and love it. Our story started 13 years ago! My now husband applied for his green card with his previous partner before he met me. His sister is a US citizen. Ten years later the case came up and we nearly missed the boat. In spite of notifying US Immigration of a new UK address, they sent it to our old one and the new owner binned the paperwork as she didn't think it was important!!

One year later my hubby's sister called US Immigration to find out what was happening and they informed her they were about to close the file as they had not heard back from us! We were on vacation in the Maldives at the time so when we got back to the UK we each had 5 voicemails on our mobiles from his sister begging us to contact her! It then took a further 2 years to sort out the green cards and sell our house in the UK. But it all came together and now we are here. I was made redundant in March last year but wasn't worried as I got enough of a pay out to tide me over for a year. Hubby resigned his job and we decided to come over and give it 6 months. Now, 6 months on, we both have excellent jobs, both have cars and have just moved into our own house. We feel very lucky that it all fell in place for us.

The US is okay if you have a good job and good health insurance - if you don't you're screwed - and that's the way it is - sounds like you're both in the "honeymoon phase" here right now. Hope it works out for both of you, but don't be too quick to criticize the UK. At least there is a safety net there if you lose your job. It's now all bad there - and it's not all wonderful here either.

Sally Redux Mar 27th 2011 2:31 am

Unless something goes wrong :rolleyes:

C_C Mar 27th 2011 10:56 am

We're about to move to the US (Southern California) in early June this year.
My husband is American and I'm moving over with him on a spouse visa (to become a green card once inside the country). Our visa process went quite smoothly and took 6 months (we did it all in the UK, as he's been living here for the past 4 years). At the moment we're shutting down our life in the UK and getting ready to go. I'm not originally from the UK, so for me it's not the first time I'm moving away from "my country", but in my 4 years here I've made some good friends who I'm definitely going to miss, and I'm also going to miss some amazing work colleagues (although not my actual job :p).

I like to think that I'm not moving over with rose tinted glasses, although I certainly love the place (have been there twice for about a month each time - but yes, I know, visiting is very different to living somewhere :p).
I'm not looking forward to the California taxes (which outrage me as much as the UK taxes do :p). I'm not happy about house prices over there - although, to be fair, the same money that can buy you a 3-bedroom house over there would buy you a 3-bedroom apartment in London (at best), so it's still much better value for money. And I'm not looking forward to the costs of health care either (which hubby and I will be paying ourselves as we're setting up our own business and will be getting small group coverage - so no employer paying for our health care :(). Speaking of health care, I feel half optimistic and half skeptical about the impact of Obamacare reforms from 2014 onwards. While it's great that pre-existing conditions won't be an issue anymore for coverage, I'm terribly concerned that this may make the already high premiums simply unaffordable. Making everyone purchase health coverage by law is one way of trying to keep premiums from going up to extortionate levels, but I have my doubts as to how this is going to work in practice.

On the other hand, I simply can't wait for the Southern California weather which is so similar to that of my home country, and which I've missed so much living in the UK in the past 4 years. I'm looking forward to a better lifestyle thanks to that and the sheer amount of space that we'll be enjoying over there, which - quite frankly - can't be found in any European city. I'm thrilled about the potential for outdoor activities we'll be able to enjoy there which we've been forced to reduce in the UK, due to the unpredictability of the weather.
And while taxes and living costs can still be high over there, the truth is that earnings are generally quite higher than in the UK and the cost of living is relatively cheaper in general, therefore your money in the US takes you further than in the UK. I also dare say that, although the US has definitely lost some of its past glory in recent years, it still is "a land of opportunity" in the sense that you're much more likely to get out as much as you put in in effort, much more so than in most other places in the world.

Infowarrior Mar 27th 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9266768)
I find people who abuse the benefits system to be equally bad as those who avoid paying their dues in the first place and try to leg it without paying their taxes ;)

Heh, I see what you did there. In my case they're trying to screw me on a technicality which means that they want me to pay almost double. If they were being reasonable I'd pay as I've done in the past. As it is I say screw them!

But yes I am sure in time I'll be complaining about CA, the place is virtually bankrupt so I'm sure something is going to give sooner or later. I do tend to find it easy to find things to complain about too, perhaps I am just a grumpy old man.

I realise that I'm looking at the thing with rose tinted specs right now, but to be honest I can't help it.

Thanks for all the replies so far, very interesting! :)

Infowarrior Mar 27th 2011 12:06 pm

Wow, I'd been thinking about applying to get my sister a green card but I'm not sure if she can wait 12 years. Is that typical for sibling visas?

tonrob Mar 27th 2011 12:12 pm

This bit made me laugh/cringe. Word of advice - if you bang on like this on here you will come across as a right plonker (which you're probably not). Wait until you've spend more than five minutes in the US and then come back with a balanced comparison. Plenty to feel ripped off about in the USA that doesn't get reported in the Daily Mail.

tonrob Mar 27th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9267354)
Wow, I'd been thinking about applying to get my sister a green card but I'm not sure if she can wait 12 years. Is that typical for sibling visas?

It's a moving target, but if not 12 then still closer to that number than zero from where you stand now.

Infowarrior Mar 27th 2011 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9267361)
This bit made me laugh/cringe. Word of advice - if you bang on like this on here you will come across as a right plonker (which you're probably not). Wait until you've spend more than five minutes in the US and then come back with a balanced comparison. Plenty to feel ripped off about in the USA that doesn't get reported in the Daily Mail.

Thanks, I'm not planning on spouting about the UK when I'm over there. I've lived there for several months on a work assignment although I didn't have any exposure to taxes, property or otherwise out there. Way I see it is worst case scenario I'll be paying roughly the same as in the UK but will have a better standard of living, plus weather!

In fact, already had an experience of being ripped off. We applied for a credit card in my USC wife's name, went for one of those 'credit builder' cards can't remember what bank it was, First Premier or something. Anyway, the card arrives with a $250 limit with fees tacked on for opening the account. The upshot of this is that we had I think $90 available for use plus some ridiculous APR and monthly fees on top of that!

Basically I just paid it off and closed the account there and then. You'd probably not get away with that sort of practice in the UK.

tonrob Mar 27th 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9267394)
Thanks, I'm not planning on spouting about the UK when I'm over there. I've lived there for several months on a work assignment although I didn't have any exposure to taxes, property or otherwise out there. Way I see it is worst case scenario I'll be paying roughly the same as in the UK but will have a better standard of living, plus weather!

In fact, already had an experience of being ripped off. We applied for a credit card in my USC wife's name, went for one of those 'credit builder' cards can't remember what bank it was, First Premier or something. Anyway, the card arrives with a $250 limit with fees tacked on for opening the account. The upshot of this is that we had I think $90 available for use plus some ridiculous APR and monthly fees on top of that!

Basically I just paid it off and closed the account there and then. You'd probably not get away with that sort of practice in the UK.

Yes - no "nanny state" here to protect you. Regulation around consumer rights/protection (and the same as an employee for that matter) tend to be either non-existent or a complete joke. You will be astounded what companies can get away with here that wouldn't fly in the UK. You really do need to read the small print and not make any assumptions based on a UK-centric frame of reference.

Regarding standard of living being better - that statement seems a bit of a stretch given that you're not here and set up yet. I'd be interested to see if you still make that statement a year from now. Many people have improved their standard of living compared to the UK, and for many others the complete opposite is true.

Infowarrior Mar 27th 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9267431)
Yes - no "nanny state" here to protect you. Regulation around consumer rights/protection (and the same as an employee for that matter) tend to be either non-existent or a complete joke. You will be astounded what companies can get away with here that wouldn't fly in the UK. You really do need to read the small print and not make any assumptions based on a UK-centric frame of reference.

Regarding standard of living being better - that statement seems a bit of a stretch given that you're not here and set up yet. I'd be interested to see if you still make that statement a year from now. Many people have improved their standard of living compared to the UK, and for many others the complete opposite is true.

Yes I'll admit I went for that credit card without reading any small print, assuming that it would be the same as here. I sure got a nasty surprise when it arrived. As for the standard of living thing, by that I refer to even the little things like being able to actually park outside a store I want to visit and the concept of customer service etc.

I guess you are right, I shall reassess the situation a year from now.

tonrob Mar 27th 2011 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9267449)
Yes I'll admit I went for that credit card without reading any small print, assuming that it would be the same as here. I sure got a nasty surprise when it arrived. As for the standard of living thing, by that I refer to even the little things like being able to actually park outside a store I want to visit and the concept of customer service etc.

I guess you are right, I shall reassess the situation a year from now.

Oh boy are you in for a shock! :lol:

meauxna Mar 27th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9267464)
Oh boy are you in for a shock! :lol:

If I was spoiling for a fight this morning, I'd pick this one. :frown:

I suppose everyone has their individual definition of customer service.
BUT, we are not going to jack this thread. Back to the stories, and all you oldies, try and tap into some of the optimism and excitement of a newcomer. It might be good for you. You don't have to point out to them that their opinions might change after arrival; everyone knows that intellectually. Right now, movers are in a state of emotional excitement. Why not let them enjoy it.

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 27th 2011 6:08 pm

Over to you...

You can read my Blog if you want to know my story;)

It has been 22 years now since we arrived and life has certainly got a lot easier from our first few years here but all the same it is still worrisome especially the cost health wise.

I don't regret the move, it has been quite a journey and I really feel this is home now but I do still miss a lot about the UK. You will find there are pro's and con's for both places!

Good luck to you on your new life!

Hawkini Mar 27th 2011 6:33 pm

I would be considered a newbie in the US - having only got off the plane exactly one month and a day ago.

Both myself and my wife work for the same company, and both had the opportunity job wise with our company of moving to the US office - which we grabbed - and 6 months later with our L-1B Visas in our passports we're here. Only last Friday did we receive our SSN - next step driving license. Next Wednesday we're supposed to be closing on our house (now a reality we have our SSN!) which is quite ludicrously 4 times the size of our house in the UK but only about 10% more expensive (it has 4 floors, a dedicated home cinema, and the sellers are leaving pretty much everything because they are downgrading). So our standard of living I would say has definitely increased.

Our kids are about 100 times happier with the schools they are in compared to the UK, but I think that's because its easier work wise for them, more homework but they have made some very good friends which helps.

Health care - we have already found - is a major downer - my pay packet monthly has a massive HSA black hole - which I hope will be filled quickly and NOBODY in our family gets ill. But hey, at least we have pretty good insurance which covers pretty much everything 100% apart from our enormous HSA deductible (hey ho!).

If you are going to buy a house - btw - make sure you have 20% deposit - anything less and the lender will shove their own mortgage insurance on!

The amount of choice, grocery/electrical/restaurants is fantastic, and to be able to drive up and park up right outside I agree is great. It's the little local places you need to scout out - we found a great little Indian Restaurant, that when they find out your British they do "British" curry!!

Still, as a Brit, I find it embarrassing tipping, and still haven't figured it out right - I don't mind the fact that you have to, it's just if you forget your change, or you don't tip the "expected" amount it's means your a deadbeat, have been really rude and don't show your face again!!

I will have to post once we have our new house and driving license, then I guess the "holiday" will be over and we'll call it home - living in rented houses and living out of a suitcase (our household stuff is still on the Atlantic) doesn't help!!

dunroving Mar 27th 2011 6:33 pm

I left the UK in 1983, when things were much as they are today (difficult to get a job as a newly-minted PE teacher, I went through three years of temporary work until I eventually got a PE job in the Bahamas).

In 1990 decided to go back to school and so began a 6-year postgrad experience that was absolutely fascinating and changed my life. I also spent 9 years teaching college which was also a very rewarding, fulfilling experience.

For me, the best parts of being in the States were the positive, can-do attitude, the consistent lack of rain, and (I thought) the better standard of living (since moving back I'd say there's not much in it, generally, depending on your housing situation).

I will never regret my US experience and in fact have been trying to get back for a while now. I was lucky to have institutional health coverage, but I think my biggest concerns have been the lack of health care for others and the ultra-conservative politics. But heck, you can't have it all.

tonrob Mar 27th 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9267837)
If I was spoiling for a fight this morning, I'd pick this one. :frown:

I suppose everyone has their individual definition of customer service.
BUT, we are not going to jack this thread. Back to the stories, and all you oldies, try and tap into some of the optimism and excitement of a newcomer. It might be good for you. You don't have to point out to them that their opinions might change after arrival; everyone knows that intellectually. Right now, movers are in a state of emotional excitement. Why not let them enjoy it.

The place this came from was not about pissing on OP's excitement, moreso a reaction to the 'slagging off the UK' element in the belief that the US is somehow better (it isn't - it's just different).

meauxna Mar 27th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9267912)
The place this came from was not about pissing on OP's excitement, moreso a reaction to the 'slagging off the UK' element in the belief that the US is somehow better (it isn't - it's just different).

I know, mine was a general comment. :)
xx

Jools-Ann Mar 28th 2011 12:32 am

Derrygal, I didn't criticize the UK, I just said hell I wouldn't go back, not unless I absolutely had to, I have no reason to. Both countries in my opinion have good and bad points. I lived near London in the UK, traffic was a nightmare, now I live just outside Atlanta, and guess what, traffic is a nightmare!! I knew that was going to be the case, I don't like it but deal with it. The weather is still better (apart from the tornadoes!), I have more living space, my job is much better than the one I had in the UK and is with a very large company with prospects, I recognize and appreciate that I have been very lucky in that respect. And our money does go further. Granted I know I could be fired tomorrow, but I will try my best to perform in a manner that means I stay. Banking practices in our experience are a little archaic, we are with BoA. Another thing we discovered, I bought a brand new car a month ago and the interest rate and term changed the next day in spite of me signing the paperwork. I don't think that would happen in the UK. Going from 30 days holiday not including sick days to 16 days including sick days was a bit of a shock too even though we had been warned. We also know the issues around healthcare and how important good insurance is.

Both me and my husband are realists. We want to make the best of it here and will try our best to work out solutions to problems before quitting. Sally Redux, it would have to be a really big something go wrong for us to go back, not because we hate the UK, but because we want to make our life here work. I don't think we are in the honeymoon phase, that was the first 3 months when we weren't working, it was like being on vacation. Now we work 8-5 Monday to Friday, we have a house to run, we have bills to pay, just like life in the UK, just in a different country with a better standard of living in our case. The honeymoon is definitely over for us!

Derrygal Mar 28th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Jools-Ann (Post 9268385)
Derrygal, I didn't criticize the UK, I just said hell I wouldn't go back, not unless I absolutely had to, I have no reason to. Both countries in my opinion have good and bad points. I lived near London in the UK, traffic was a nightmare, now I live just outside Atlanta, and guess what, traffic is a nightmare!! I knew that was going to be the case, I don't like it but deal with it. The weather is still better (apart from the tornadoes!), I have more living space, my job is much better than the one I had in the UK and is with a very large company with prospects, I recognize and appreciate that I have been very lucky in that respect. And our money does go further. Granted I know I could be fired tomorrow, but I will try my best to perform in a manner that means I stay. Banking practices in our experience are a little archaic, we are with BoA. Another thing we discovered, I bought a brand new car a month ago and the interest rate and term changed the next day in spite of me signing the paperwork. I don't think that would happen in the UK. Going from 30 days holiday not including sick days to 16 days including sick days was a bit of a shock too even though we had been warned. We also know the issues around healthcare and how important good insurance is.

Both me and my husband are realists. We want to make the best of it here and will try our best to work out solutions to problems before quitting. Sally Redux, it would have to be a really big something go wrong for us to go back, not because we hate the UK, but because we want to make our life here work. I don't think we are in the honeymoon phase, that was the first 3 months when we weren't working, it was like being on vacation. Now we work 8-5 Monday to Friday, we have a house to run, we have bills to pay, just like life in the UK, just in a different country with a better standard of living in our case. The honeymoon is definitely over for us!

Actually you've done very well for vacation for a newcomer. A lot of American firms make their employees work a full year to get one week off - I kid you not!! I get 3 weeks - but I have been with this company 12 years - it took me 10 years tenure to get the 3 weeks!! All the best to you - I used to live in Georgia - but not in the Atlanta area. I lived in a very small town with one high school in the Bible Belt!! Very different from the UK - I was there for 3 years - a long time ago.

MadRad Mar 28th 2011 3:16 am

Okay, I've been here a year. It has been far from an easy move and although we've come a long way (in every sense), I wouldn't call the USA home yet.

We came over because of my husband's job. It was a very difficult decision because I had a good job and had also just been offered my dream job. The actual process from it first being mooted to actually getting here took a year. The paperwork was relatively straighforward, at least until we got here.

The first few weeks were an exciting time of finding our way around, passing the driving test, buying a car, skiing etc etc. After the initial whirlwind reality started to kick in. We had to return to the UK after three months to get new visas. Seeing our UK house again was upsetting, as it was beautiful and it brought home that we were living in a small, basic and expensive condo with very few of our own possessions. We also became aware that selling our UK house was going to be a slow process because the economy was in such dire straits. Our quality of life in the UK had been great, but in the US it was pretty poor. We literally lived for the weekends, as hubby works horrendous hours during the week. Bureaucracy started to let us down too, as we discovered we'd been misinformed by the lawyers about my EAD. It took months to sort out, and in fact I only received my EAD last week.

Getting UK visitors really helped, and we did road trips with them which were great. We decided early on that we would go home for Christmas, which was absolutely the right thing to do. We managed to sell our house so the Christmas trip coincided with packing and shipping our stuff. That was hard work, but it all seemed worth it when we found a house to buy over here just days after getting back. All was great until we got the inspection done, which was a total horror story and we had to pull out. Since then, we've been actively looking at houses but there isn't anything out there that works for us which is especially annoying when you're paying hundreds of dollars each month to store your stuff.

This sounds like it's all doom and gloom but it's not. Admittedly, I've lived in our condo for a year but can't call it home - at best, I refer to it as the apartment. The town we live in is nice enough. Tax is fairly low (although they raised it recently which is annoying). I have made one very good friend who is also an expat. The skiing is fantastic which has undoubtedly been the highlight of my year.

I've never been one to think of the USA as some sort of utopia. Blighty has an awful lot going for it and I think it will always be home. The customer service thing here is a bit of an urban myth. It's generally fine, but I don't think it's any better than the UK and sometimes it's worse. The weather is good here but I do miss the rain. I miss having decent roads (especially rural roads) as I loved driving back home - here it's just dull, frustrating and the standard of driving where we live is shocking. The healthcare we've utilised here is poorer than in the UK. The culture is old-fashioned which is both a good and a bad thing. I don't have a job and have no idea what I'll end up doing, as the plans I had in the UK are only open to citizens here.

In saying that, overall this has been life-enhancing experience. Yes it could have been easier but I'm hopeful it will become so in time. But I certainly don't expect or plan to be here forever.

MsElui Mar 28th 2011 3:56 am

the nanny state thing isnt so with medicine. I had 2 kids in the uk and 1 here and found the pregnancy and labour system here to be far more decided by some bigwig consultant from up high and automated to be done 'THE' way - far far more than the UK.

I was shocked by the lack of consumer protection - ie the lies that are able to be told and misleading stuff that is just 'normal' here is just such a waste of time - but i guess some people fall for it or it wouldnt be so popular.

I was shocked by the lack of pavements etc- but then when i realised how far some places are (ie places are genuinely spread out and at much greater distances apart than in the uk towns) that who really is going to walk that far anyway? (besides its often baking roasting hot here in the summer - or knee deep in snow most of the winter so walking isnt a year round activity like it is in the UK). Cities are the same here and there but the burbs are different. The lack of traffic here and straight roads was a refreshing change after driving around greater London for years.

I do find it very confusing the 'im alright Jack' attitude is so prevelent with a nation that supposedly is very godly. It doesnt make sense to me. I dont want a nanny state by any means but would want to ensure a very basic standard of health care and education for all. It just seems so shortsighted to keep large parts of the population poorly educated.

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Hawkini (Post 9267906)

If you are going to buy a house - btw - make sure you have 20% deposit - anything less and the lender will shove their own mortgage insurance on!

The amount of choice, grocery/electrical/restaurants is fantastic, and to be able to drive up and park up right outside I agree is great. It's the little local places you need to scout out - we found a great little Indian Restaurant, that when they find out your British they do "British" curry!!

Thank you for your great story! I am just wondering, since I have only been to one Indian restaurant in the US how a British curry differs from a US one? I have to admit the quality was a bit lacking and there was no mango chutney provided with my poppadoms (my favourite appetizer).

But aside from that I can't remember, it was years ago. I think I'm going to miss a decent curry; Mexican food seems to take the place of curry over there at least in CA and I really don't like it.

But on the other hand my wife is a great cook and she has an Indian recipe book! :)

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9267912)

Just don't like it here anymore, anything has to be better than here right now. I've thought long and hard recently about what I'll miss when I leave and apart from my family, my list features two items: Peperami's and the quintessential British country pub.

It seems to be quite a prevalent opinion too. Whenever my wife opens her mouth here and people notice she's American the second question (after asking if she's Canadian) is virtually always "what on earth are you doing here then?".

tonrob Mar 28th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9269115)
Thank you for your great story! I am just wondering, since I have only been to one Indian restaurant in the US how a British curry differs from a US one? I have to admit the quality was a bit lacking and there was no mango chutney provided with my poppadoms (my favourite appetizer).

But aside from that I can't remember, it was years ago. I think I'm going to miss a decent curry; Mexican food seems to take the place of curry over there at least in CA and I really don't like it.

But on the other hand my wife is a great cook and she has an Indian recipe book! :)

British Indian is a very insular style of Indian-inspired cuisine that grew up in the UK - not authentic but gorgeous nonetheless. A parallel would be Tex-Mex food found in the majority of Mexican restaurants in the US. Is US Indian food more "authentic" than British Indian. I've spent 3 weeks in India and I'm still not sure (although India's a big place...)

The dishes, spicing etc. are definitely different US vs. UK, and the menu choices are too. Vegetable side dishes are rare to find (they're served and priced as main meals), boiled rice comes with everything as standard (so rice dishes are limited on the menu and are not available in single, side-dish portions), poppadoms are always spicy and rarely plain and don't come with lime pickle. There are exceptions but this is what I've found wherever I've been. I love my long weekend trips to Montreal where there's a place run by a guy from Ealing that does British-style curry! (Although I actually get to go to London more often than I do Montreal to be honest).

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9269131)
Just don't like it here anymore, anything has to be better than here right now. I've thought long and hard recently about what I'll miss when I leave and apart from my family, my list features two items: Peperami's and the quintessential British country pub.

It seems to be quite a prevalent opinion too. Whenever my wife opens her mouth here and people notice she's American the second question (after asking if she's Canadian) is virtually always "what on earth are you doing here then?".

Hmmmm..... those people though.... aren't they also usually the ones that have no experience living in another country so just assume where they are is worse? I live in a gorgeous part of New England, and I have met many Americans who are aghast that anyone from the UK would want to move here. They've never even been to the UK. Stereotypes always fall apart when put under scrutiny, and there is always much more underneath what you see at first when you start scratching at the veneer.

HumphreyC Mar 28th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9269188)
I live in a gorgeous part of New England, and I have met many Americans who are aghast that anyone from the UK would want to move here. They've never even been to the UK. Stereotypes always fall apart when put under scrutiny, and there is always much more underneath what you see at first when you start scratching at the veneer.

Yes, when I go for a wander around town on my lunch break I sometimes end up striking up conversations with people and a few of them have said 'what the hell are you doing here !?! , I would much rather be in the UK'.

Mind you I live in Fitchburg MA which is a pretty shite part of New England - so I can kinda see their point.

SultanOfSwing Mar 28th 2011 4:59 pm

My story is I have been here just about 5 1/2 years. I came here on a K1 fiance visa in 2005 and got married shortly thereafter. Went through all the various Green Card stages and did naturalisation last year so I'm finally done forking money over to USCIS for the rest of my life :lol:

Even after this amount of time I don't really call it 'home', rather just 'where I live.' I don't bear any grudges with the UK, and I seem to have come from some weird singularity back home, in that nobody I know who still lives there thinks it is as awful in the UK as some seem to think (none of us read the Daily Mail as well of course :p), so I do still miss it and always wonder what it would be like to live back there again, and how my children might enjoy it if we did but they're only dreams really. That's just me though, I've always got my head in the clouds :lol:. Because I didn't do a work visa, I wasn't coming out here to chase a dream or whatever, it was just the most practical choice for us to do it that way, honestly I'd never considered leaving the UK at all before then. For the most part it worked out. I certainly don't consider the US to be the land of milk and honey, or even (no offense intended) to be anywhere near on a par with the UK in my mind, but again, that's just me. I had a great childhood, and early adulthood back home and I'll always have that. At the same time, there's nothing really wrong with the US - it's just different. I can handle that so here I stay, I've been quite good at finding a workaround for most things I miss from home so I can make do reasonably well.

sallysimmons Mar 28th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9267394)
TWay I see it is worst case scenario I'll be paying roughly the same as in the UK

I think you'll find the cost of living quite a bit higher in California. Property taxes and utilities will be a lot more expensive than they are in the UK and your health care costs will be high and will increase by 20% every year. Currently we pay $1,400 a month for 2 people. 7 years ago, we paid $600 :( And every time we need drugs or a doctor's visit, we have to pay again.

I'm not sure if you're setting up your new business with your husband, but if you are, you will be dinged on self-employment taxes. (A married couple working together really get hosed on this). Add those to Federal tax, state tax and sales tax, and your tax burden will be higher here. (Not the case for people who are not married and self-employed by the way).

I hope things work out for you - lots of people love it here as you can tell!

As for my story, I came to the US 13 years ago with my job and loved it at first. Now I'm done and ready to leave. There are lots of positives but for me the extreme right-wing culture is just too much. Don't like guns, don't believe in God and don't think 'safety net' is a dirty word.

HumphreyC Mar 28th 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9269837)
I don't bear any grudges with the UK, and I seem to have come from some weird singularity back home, in that nobody I know who still lives there thinks it is as awful in the UK as some seem to think (none of us read the Daily Mail as well of course :p), so I do still miss it and always wonder what it would be like to live back there again, and how my children might enjoy it if we did but they're only dreams really.

Speaking of which, here is a great 'Broken Britain' quote from the comments section of the Torygraph. It starts off fairly sensible but goes rapidly downhill by the end of the second paragraph.

"England, Europe and America are already bankrupt whilst continuing to print/borrow more money.

We have a declining worker demographic and an ever growing elderly generation to support. We also have to fund a growing welfare claim for indigenous chavs and imported foreigners who have no intention of working.

Economically, we are more or less finished. If there is a glimmer of hope, it is that things always get better in the end. Not this time. IF the economy recovered over the next decade, we can then look forward to civil unrest; possibly even religious civil war"

:thumbsup: I'd better start stockpiling weapons then!

SultanOfSwing Mar 28th 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by HumphreyC (Post 9270199)
Speaking of which, here is a great 'Broken Britain' quote from the comments section of the Torygraph. It starts off fairly sensible but goes rapidly downhill by the end of the second paragraph.

"England, Europe and America are already bankrupt whilst continuing to print/borrow more money.

We have a declining worker demographic and an ever growing elderly generation to support. We also have to fund a growing welfare claim for indigenous chavs and imported foreigners who have no intention of working.

Economically, we are more or less finished. If there is a glimmer of hope, it is that things always get better in the end. Not this time. IF the economy recovered over the next decade, we can then look forward to civil unrest; possibly even religious civil war"

:thumbsup: I'd better start stockpiling weapons then!

I doubt they'd notice back home - civil unrest in Northern Ireland? Unlikely :p

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9270017)
I think you'll find the cost of living quite a bit higher in California. Property taxes and utilities will be a lot more expensive than they are in the UK and your health care costs will be high and will increase by 20% every year. Currently we pay $1,400 a month for 2 people. 7 years ago, we paid $600 :( And every time we need drugs or a doctor's visit, we have to pay again.

Thanks for replying. My wife is astonished by your healthcare costs. She used to be in the insurance game, or 'racket' I'd call it. She's wondering if you've moved healthcare providers a bunch of times or had some medical issues. Is that really a realistic monthly fee for healthcare?

Why is California healthcare more expensive than other states?

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by HumphreyC (Post 9270199)
...indigenous chavs...

Well that's one thing I am truly not going to miss when I leave here ;)

SultanOfSwing Mar 28th 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9270213)
Well that's one thing I am truly not going to miss when I leave here ;)

One thing that is true the world over, there'll always be a bunch of dickheads to annoy you. If it's not chavs it'll be something else :lol:

I was suprised to find so many rednecks this far north . . .

N1cky Mar 28th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9270208)
Thanks for replying. My wife is astonished by your healthcare costs. She used to be in the insurance game, or 'racket' I'd call it. She's wondering if you've moved healthcare providers a bunch of times or had some medical issues. Is that really a realistic monthly fee for healthcare?

Why is California healthcare more expensive than other states?

California healthcare costs are reportedly the most expensive in the country, if you go to the doctor with a headache they will send you for a head scan before testing your eyes, as everyone sues. Apparantly more tests are run in CA than anywhere else because they are so scared of litigation, hence the premiums are so high.

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9270217)
One thing that is true the world over, there'll always be a bunch of dickheads to annoy you. If it's not chavs it'll be something else :lol:

I was suprised to find so many rednecks this far north . . .

I agree with you on the first point, but I was really surprised that everyone in CA that I came across just behaved themselves, even the kids. Mind you I didn't go near any deprived areas so I accept this probably isn't the norm.

I was out tending my garden the other day and some hooligan kid saw me and shouted abuse at me as he rode past on his bike! The nerve of some people!

SultanOfSwing Mar 28th 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Infowarrior (Post 9270309)
I agree with you on the first point, but I was really surprised that everyone in CA that I came across just behaved themselves, even the kids. Mind you I didn't go near any deprived areas so I accept this probably isn't the norm.

I was out tending my garden the other day and some hooligan kid saw me and shouted abuse at me as he rode past on his bike! The nerve of some people!

You should have thrown a rock at the little scrote. If no-one teached these oiks a lesson that is what happens . . .

Infowarrior Mar 28th 2011 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9270348)
You should have thrown a rock at the little scrote. If no-one teached these oiks a lesson that is what happens . . .

Haha, I would but it was only as he shot off around the corner that he decided he was brave enough to shout an expletive at me! Bless him...