Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your mortgage term and Interest rate?

What's your mortgage term and Interest rate?

Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default What's your mortgage term and Interest rate?

What's considered a good interest rate in the US at the moment?

I have had a look at some real estate agent sites and they offer a calculator for working out your possible re-payments but the % they put in varies widely - I have seen from 4% to 8%... anyone got some words of wisdom on this subject?

Many Thank you's.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

just bought a good 3 bedroom house (for 50k )
30 years 6%
mortgage including escrow, $396 per month.

awesome.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by manc1976
30 years 6%

awesome.

$50??????????????????????????????

Where are the other noughts?
Where do you live??????
Old Sep 6th 2003, 12:44 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's your mortgage term and Interest rate?

Originally posted by whatever

I have had a look at some real estate agent sites and they offer a calculator for working out your possible re-payments but the % they put in varies widely - I have seen from 4% to 8%... anyone got some words of wisdom on this subject?
Many Thank you's.
Here's is a link which should give you an idea.
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-b...ness-headlines
We were very lucky to refinance at 4.5% for 15 years when the market bottomed out around June this year...
Old Sep 6th 2003, 4:55 am
Just Joined

shakermaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Refinanced recently - 5.375% / 30 years. Which was nice.

Many Thank you's.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thank you's.
The rate depends on the term, and which type of mortgage you qualify for - there are special deals for ex-military (veterans), first time buyers, low income, etc.

The standard terms are 15 or 30 years, 10 and 20 are also available. There are also "ARMs" (adjustable rate mortgages), which are for example "3/1", "5/1" which means the rate is locked for the first 3 or 5 years, and is then adjusted annually to the current market rate. At the moment the ARMs are vvery low, but the rate you could be paying when you reach the end of the fixed period may be much higher.

Taking a thirty year mortgage and paying down a little extra each month/ year can be a good way to shorten the term. If you are buying in a low cost part of the US (aren't expecting to "max out" on your mortgage payments) do check out the 15 and 20 year mortgages too, as you'll get a rate that is significantly lower and the extra cost per month migh be a surprisingly small price to pay for being free of debt (a novelty in the US!) 10-15 years earlier.

You can find more about mortgages, and see current rates, at this link from realtor.com.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 6th 2003 at 1:11 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live??????
Give you a clue. K= 1000

NC Penguin
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 3.85% ARM 5/1 with a 2% cap annually and 6% cap over life of loan (30 yrs). At the end of 5 years our principal will have been reduced *much* more with an ARM mortgage and with the lower rate now, we can pay extra off each month as well. So even accounting for a possible full 2% a year increase after 5 years- we should pay off our mortgage in 8-9 years total.

30 yr fixed rate morgages are the most expensive really, considering most people move well before they really benefit from the "higher" 15 or 30 yr fixed rate.

Unless you plan to live in the house you buy for 30 years, take a look at ARMs and do your sums.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live??????
that's right, I bought a $50,000 house. 3 bedrooms finished basement. 2 storey 800 (ground floor) sq foot.

I live in Northern Michigan, the house is in a small village near the town of Manistee.

All you fools out in New Jersey and the rest of the east / west coast paying $10,000 per year in taxes, mine are $500 per year.

told you it was wonderful!

Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:05 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

that's right, I bought a $50,000 house. 3 bedrooms finished basement. 2 storey 800 (ground floor) sq foot.

I live in Northern Michigan, the house is in a small village near the town of Manistee.

All you fools out in New Jersey and the rest of the east / west coast paying $10,000 per year in taxes, mine are $500 per year.

told you it was wonderful!

Do you have a long commute to work? We have a house down in a small town, but had to buy another in the city as commuting 1 hr. one way in winter can be quite deadly. Get rent from the other house, so it has worked out.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:33 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Ranjini
Do you have a long commute to work? We have a house down in a small town, but had to buy another in the city as commuting 1 hr. one way in winter can be quite deadly. Get rent from the other house, so it has worked out.
No, we work about 20 miles away.
we do have one of the few 'good' jobs in the area. very seasonal and low income area.
crime is virtually non existent, just not much to do here without driving 2 hours to Grand Rapids (back into civilisation)
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, we work about 20 miles away.
we do have one of the few 'good' jobs in the area. very seasonal and low income area.
crime is virtually non existent, just not much to do here without driving 2 hours to Grand Rapids (back into civilisation)
Do you work in Grand Rapids? Not for Haworth or Herman Miller by any chance??
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:48 pm
@matthewb76

Do you work in Grand Rapids? Not for Haworth or Herman Miller by any chance??
nope, work in Manistee Mich.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

If you do not have a credit rating here, depend on coming in on around 8% maybe more. The longer you have been here, the lower the credit rate is. We have been here 3 years and have an excellent credit rate (in my mind-never paid anything late and always pay extra) and we have only just managed to get 6% and had to fight hard for it.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

30 years 6%

awesome.
We have friends in Clearfield Pennsylvania, that paid $56,000 for a lovely 3 story, 3br 2bth house. lucky buggers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.