British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's on your list of swag for visitors to bring you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-your-list-swag-visitors-bring-you-753402/)

Bob Mar 31st 2012 7:45 pm

What's on your list of swag for visitors to bring you?

So what stuff do you lot ask your folks/friends or who ever that come to visit?

My mother is heading here towards the end of April for a week, she's already bringing clothes for the kids, especially coats I'm hoping as they're usually nice and birthday presents for the eldest as she'll be 4 on the 18th.

First on my list is PG Tips, she already has bought a load on sale.

Got mint and orange Aero bars on the list, Smarties, Pickled Onion Monster Munch, Bisto Gravy, Paxo stuffing are all there too.

She's only got the one suitcase and she's an old dear, so I probably shouldn't take the piss, but considering some chocolate easter eggs with the naff mugs.

So what glaringly obvious things are missing from my list here? :D

Ka Ora! Mar 31st 2012 7:52 pm

Re: What's on your list of swag for visitors to bring you?

Scampi Fries, Pork Scratchings

Karen68 Mar 31st 2012 7:53 pm

Any form of (preferably Cadburys) chocolate for the kids, Top Gear and Doctor Who magazines (again for the kids) and Kenco Instant decaf coffee for me. I don't have very sophisticated coffee tastes and we have loads of Brazilian coffee as OH gets given a huge bag of it every time he goes to visit his plant in Brazil. Sometimes though I just want to put the kettle on and make a quick coffee and I don't like American Instant coffee and I especially hate Nescafe as it tastes like liquid ashtray to me.

Going back to the UK myself next month and have got folks to get me coffee and Easter eggs to bring back with me (my kids are insistent that Easter egg chocolate tastes different).

Sally Redux Mar 31st 2012 7:55 pm

Sounds like her case is full already! :lol:

Love Hearts and Wine Gums, Walker's crisps.

My son wanted to know where his old Postman Pat egg cup had gone which came with an easter egg when he was little :(

Bob Mar 31st 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 9982314)
Scampi Fries, Pork Scratchings

Don't know about the scratchings, but yeah, Scampi Fries for the win! That and Bacon Fries...yum! :D

Bob Mar 31st 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9982317)
Sounds like her case is full already! :lol:

Love Hearts and Wine Gums, Walker's crisps.

Yup, she's been told to not bother bring clothes, she can borrow those, just as long as she brings her cozy and knickers :lol:

Wine Gums, now that's a thought, already asked for Fruit Pastels too.

Not a bad idea about the kids magazines...will have to ask about possibly getting Pepper Pig and Charlie and Lola type Annuals, if they have any...and anything to do with those shows as the little one loves them both.

Will also have to ask about Postman Pat, Thomas the Tank Engine and other DVD's, got a bunch already, but really like the old ones before they became CGI, and don't like the dubbed US versions.

Already have the complete Mr Men and Paddington Bear shows :D

Mummy in the foothills Mar 31st 2012 8:23 pm

Curry mix in a packet you know the ones you just add boiling water too, for dipping my chips in.
Sausage casserole mix
OXO's beef and Chicken
Kids vests. The ones here for my Dd's size are the tank tops with a shelf bra in! What 7 year old needs a shelf bra I ask!
Soft mints.
My Mum brings my 7 year old the Sparkle magazines.

Bob Mar 31st 2012 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Karen68 (Post 9982316)
...and Kenco Instant decaf coffee for me. I don't have very sophisticated coffee tastes and we have loads of Brazilian coffee as OH gets given a huge bag of it every time he goes to visit his plant in Brazil. Sometimes though I just want to put the kettle on and make a quick coffee and I don't like American Instant coffee and I especially hate Nescafe as it tastes like liquid ashtray to me....

Don't know if you've got a big Brazilian population down your way, but down here, we do and the they have UK style Nescafe and Kenco instant coffee in most grocery stores. Tad pricey though.

robin1234 Mar 31st 2012 8:26 pm

My son usually brings Mr. kiplings cakes, plus bramley apple pies (the six packs.) And tea. Christmas pud, if that time of year.

toopie28 Mar 31st 2012 8:37 pm

Whadabout some goodies from Marks? M&S Extremely Chco Rounds - shortbread and chocolate - heaven.

Oooo, Thorntons! Wagon Wheels. Viscount - mint ones. Irn Bru. Horlicks. Bon Bons! Ambrosia Cream Rice. Oh, gawd I'm starvin now...

Karen68 Mar 31st 2012 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9982350)
Don't know if you've got a big Brazilian population down your way, but down here, we do and the they have UK style Nescafe and Kenco instant coffee in most grocery stores. Tad pricey though.

There are some here with the auto companies, but unfortunately the foreign foods aisles in the local supermarkets have no Kenco. They do have imported Nescafe, but I'd rather not have coffee than drink that. Kind of like people who can drink Yorkshire Tea and the wussies like me that can only drink tea when it's the colour of dishwater :)

Tarkak9 Mar 31st 2012 11:06 pm

Royal Lochnager Single Malt.

Britishbees Mar 31st 2012 11:12 pm

Thorntons (yum yum); goose fat (for my roasties); Oxo cubes; Cadburys chocolate; M&S undies :) ; Clarks shoes; Sandwich Spread (yeuch - but OH loves it); Galaxy Choccie; Walkers Crisps (yes, crisps and NOT chips - lol); all my trashy UK mags like Reveal, Now, Best, Bella, etc; I am sure I could add more but can't think of anything else off hand :lol:

WEBlue Apr 1st 2012 12:58 am

The sugarless sweetener tablets in those wonderful little dispensers!! Splenda's my favourite, but I'll accept Hermesetas or Tescoes generic. Just a click & your tea is perfect.

Why this benighted country has not twigged to the simplicity of tablet sweeteners I'll never know! :frown: I hate that all the sweetener here comes in the fiddly paper sachets--they make a mess on the table & always tear/leak in my handbag. :thumbdown:

tonrob Apr 1st 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9982310)
She's only got the one suitcase and she's an old dear, so I probably shouldn't take the piss, but considering some chocolate easter eggs with the naff mugs.

Tell her to fly business class - her baggage allowance will be 2 or 3 suitcases in there.