Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Oh yeah...the friggin' imperial measurement system. Helping your kid with their homework when the answer is in ft/sec, or square inches, or yards, or pounds. FFS! Get into the 21st century!
.....yes....and most Americans can not tell time. Give them 21:20, and most do not have a clue (except soldiers)
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
By far the best one I've heard is 'we also celebrate the 4th of July in the UK. We call it Thanksgiving ...'
I look at them with a puzzled expression and say Why, we lost.

Or point out would you say that to a Frenchman on Cinco de Mayo.

Which has the plus point as very few know the history.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
.....yes....and most Americans can not tell time. Give them 21:20, and most do not have a clue (except soldiers)
Aye, I remember when I was first visiting my future wife, I was sitting around the flat by myself while she was at work and though I'd be really helpful and reset the clocks on the stove and the microwave for her to the right time. Then I got yelled at when she was making dinner later on though: "why does it say nineteen for the time ..."

I set my cell phone's to 24-hour format, just to be secretly subversive
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I say "Happy Bourgeoisie Revolution, next step Communism"
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

I have to be honest I've ever one face to face encounter with someone thinking 4th July was a 'thing' - my frustration comes more from the higher official places. Having applied for citizenship I looked at the citizenship questions and raised my eyebrows at a few - mainly the prospect of having to give an answer I know/consider to be incorrect if I want to pass.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:00 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Egon
I have to be honest I've ever one face to face encounter with someone thinking 4th July was a 'thing' - my frustration comes more from the higher official places. Having applied for citizenship I looked at the citizenship questions and raised my eyebrows at a few - mainly the prospect of having to give an answer I know/consider to be incorrect if I want to pass.
Can you elaborate?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I'm too busy enjoying what is usually my only day off in the summer to talk to anyone about the finer points ...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Can you elaborate?
For example (from USCIS website given as multiple choice)

'Why did the colonists fight the British?
a) because they didn't have self-government
b) all of these answers
c) because the British army stayed in their houses
d) because of high taxes'

The 'correct' answer is 'b) all of these' - which leaves me wondering if I were to get that question and I gave an answer of 'Because George III established the Proclamation Line stopping them from taking more native lands' would I be marked as wrong? It's not on their sheet presumably but it is a reason.

I acknowledge that I'm nitpicking somewhat.

[EDIT TO ADD: That's a bad example actually as the 'correct' answers are still correct, just that it excludes other correct answers]

Last edited by Egon; Jun 13th 2012 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
For example (from USCIS website given as multiple choice)

'Why did the colonists fight the British?
a) because they didn't have self-government
b) all of these answers
c) because the British army stayed in their houses
d) because of high taxes'

The 'correct' answer is 'b) all of these' - which leaves me wondering if I were to get that question and I gave an answer of 'Because George III established the Proclamation Line stopping them from taking more native lands' would I be marked as wrong? It's not on their sheet presumably but it is a reason.

I acknowledge that I'm nitpicking somewhat.

[EDIT TO ADD: That's a bad example actually as the 'correct' answers are still correct, just that it excludes other correct answers]
No you aren't nitpicking.. I had similar misgivings when I was preparing for citizenship back in 2006. In the event, in my citizenship interview, my questions were all of the "Who lives in the White House?" variety so the question did not arise.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

Holy crap - there was a banner ad for 'tea party patriots' at the top of the page. Quite disturbing
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
No you aren't nitpicking.. I had similar misgivings when I was preparing for citizenship back in 2006. In the event, in my citizenship interview, my questions were all of the "Who lives in the White House?" variety so the question did not arise.
Thank goodness it wasn't just me! The other one that jumped out was the 'why did colonists come to America' which was accompanied by the usual 'to practice their religion', etc etc - and the best answer the catch all 'freedom'.

That was actually the one where I felt some of the given answers were actually and demonstrably wrong.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap - there was a banner ad for 'tea party patriots' at the top of the page. Quite disturbing
Really? Lol...in that case I'm really thankful I have a good ad blocker!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:53 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Dan725
Really? Lol...in that case I'm really thankful I have a good ad blocker!
I just noticed it as I was about to click back to 'My Profile'. I can't think of a less well-placed ad.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of a less well-placed ad.
Me neither. And that reminds me, to answer this thread....one of my least favorite things in the US - rabid mentalist Republican offshoots, such as that

I've thought long and hard about the whole "Freedom" concept here in the US...I can't for the life of me think of one single thing where it is "free-er" than the UK....in fact I can think of more aspects which makes the the US less free (tying of health insurance to work and "trapping" people in jobs being a big one).

The whole Freedom concept appears to based solely and utterly around the fact you can own guns here without any hassle....which is what these tea party lunatics exploit for their own ends.

Last edited by Dan725; Jun 13th 2012 at 4:06 pm. Reason: *sp
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

"Do you have the time on yer, cock?" goes right over their heads, too.

Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.