Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Leader of the Free World never bothered me too much - I'd agree with you gradboy that it makes a general sort of sense, or did until the 1990s as you said.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
George III was a terrible man
Reminds me of the story (true I think.)
The film The Madness of King George was based on Alan Bennett's The Madness of George III. Why the title change for the film? Because Americans would think that the film was a sequel, and they'd somehow missed The Madness of George I and The Madness of George II.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Reminds me of the story (true I think.)
The film The Madness of King George was based on Alan Bennett's The Madness of George III. Why the title change for the film? Because Americans would think that the film was a sequel, and they'd somehow missed The Madness of George I and The Madness of George II.
that's good.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gradboy
I suppose one thing that slightly gets on my tits is the extent to which people overlook the fact that the US is, by most standards, an empire. I'm not talking about overseas colonies, but the American west.

Between Kansas and Nevada, up to Oregon, what do you have? A vast, sparsely populated land, ruled from afar, where the native population has been killed, moved, or subjugated, and a new population moved in. It's really no different than the British in Australia, or the Russians in Siberia.
And China and lots of other countries, it is interesting how contiguous expanded countries are often not called empires.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
It wasn't Nasty Nick, was it?
Darn. Lost track of this thread. Old age catching up with me. It was Tom McDermott, the Irish guy who ended up having a kid with Nasty Nick's replacement Claire. His sister lived next door but one to us back in the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

gradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud ofgradboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
And China and lots of other countries, it is interesting how contiguous expanded countries are often not called empires.
You're right about China - though its current attitude towards Tibet might be called imperialism.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:49 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about China - though its current attitude towards Tibet might be called imperialism.
Tibet is an interesting one, should a hand full of million people live on lands half the size of Han Chinese China, with 1.2 billion. I intrinsically think it wrong for the Han to move in to Tibetan lands, but 1.2 billion do need living space.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Darn. Lost track of this thread. Old age catching up with me. It was Tom McDermott, the Irish guy who ended up having a kid with Nasty Nick's replacement Claire. His sister lived next door but one to us back in the UK.
Aha. Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:19 am
He/him

Can't even buy pencils in America without finding they have their own funny system. I just found this out with the school supply list. So a#2 is a HB, and a #4 is a 2H
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

The bit in bold is the key here and reminds me of my main grumble with the US (as in you reminded me, not that I'm directing this moan at you) - the way so much gets brushed under the carpet so the sanitized story remains intact, and the way it's regurgitated so frequently; the colonists fled religious persecution, George III was a terrible man, The War of 1812 was both a British invasion and a US victory, etc. At every turn the 'Americans' are the victims, which in a story that includes genocide and slavery is quite a stretch of the imagination.

The most annoying bit is how often an entire world view is then extrapolated from this one mythologized event; if America = free then Britain must then have been tyranny. No mention American slavery. No mention (or knowledge) of the English Bill of Rights. Everything is so binary and it's everywhere to be seen - document greeting new permanent residents, questions to gain your citizenship. It's why anytime the British government talks about new tests for new British citizens I dread to think what they'll add, what 'facts' become the official history.

I grew up thinking the amendments were New American Ideas. I was in my 30s before I knew that under King George people were given a jury trial and were innocent until proven guilty. We were taught that the monarchs have absolute power and the king could say off with their head and that was it. They were New Ideas in response to British policies.

To their credit some make sense that they would be a response, like not allowing soldiers to live in the homes of citizens, the British did do that. The founding fathers coming up with new justice theory that in reality took centuries to develop is a bit of a stretch though.

Law students study British law but children do not learn that American law is based on British law.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
2) My husband was making me laugh saying there are some people who have an extremely long wash and hawk in the sinks at work - I think it is a cultural thing.

4) Same here except they are just 'Mexicans'. If they all left one day, the scenes of Americans wandering around helplessly unable to perform any menial tasks would be priceless.
2- my experience is this is cultural, largely far eastern

4- I agree. I'd pay good money to see that. Perhaps we have the beginnings of a new reality tv show. Let's do the first series from one of the southern states that has been really unamerican about the whole race/immigration thing...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The bit in bold is the key here and reminds me of my main grumble with the US (as in you reminded me, not that I'm directing this moan at you) - the way so much gets brushed under the carpet so the sanitized story remains intact, and the way it's regurgitated so frequently; the colonists fled religious persecution, George III was a terrible man, The War of 1812 was both a British invasion and a US victory, etc. At every turn the 'Americans' are the victims, which in a story that includes genocide and slavery is quite a stretch of the imagination.

The most annoying bit is how often an entire world view is then extrapolated from this one mythologized event; if America = free then Britain must then have been tyranny. No mention American slavery. No mention (or knowledge) of the English Bill of Rights. Everything is so binary and it's everywhere to be seen - document greeting new permanent residents, questions to gain your citizenship. It's why anytime the British government talks about new tests for new British citizens I dread to think what they'll add, what 'facts' become the official history.
Originally Posted by tuxedocat
I grew up thinking the amendments were New American Ideas. I was in my 30s before I knew that under King George people were given a jury trial and were innocent until proven guilty. We were taught that the monarchs have absolute power and the king could say off with their head and that was it. They were New Ideas in response to British policies.

To their credit some make sense that they would be a response, like not allowing soldiers to live in the homes of citizens, the British did do that. The founding fathers coming up with new justice theory that in reality took centuries to develop is a bit of a stretch though.

Law students study British law but children do not learn that American law is based on British law.
Another way to look at it is that the American view of history is still dominated by what British historiographers call the Whig Interpretation of History, the view that the past is an inevitable progression towards ever greater liberty and enlightenment, culminating in modern forms of liberal democracy. In the US version of this world view, England carried the torch of progress up until 1776 then it was passed to America that has exclusively borne it ever since. Thus England is credited with Magna Carta and the Glorious Revolution (for instance,) but no liberal democratic progress since then can be allowed the English. Abolition of the Slave Trade? Extension of the franchise? Votes for women? No mention of these, since they happened after 1776.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

On a final note, I think the comparison with certain quarter of the UK is fair - I'd hate to be a German in England when a Germany-England World Cup game is on with all the inevitable WWII rhetoric. (That said, being English when a Germany-England game isn't much fun either when getting knocked out on penalties is your best hope.)
Well, I'm half Brit, half Kraut... I get to win no matter what in these situations!!!

Actually, I grew up in the West Country from age 5, carry a Brit passport, struggle to speak German and served in the British air force. So I usually deal with the football question by claiming football is wank and is just about team A's east European/African imports playing team B's east European/African imports and real men play rugby anyway...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose one thing that slightly gets on my tits is the extent to which people overlook the fact that the US is, by most standards, an empire. I'm not talking about overseas colonies, but the American west.

Between Kansas and Nevada, up to Oregon, what do you have? A vast, sparsely populated land, ruled from afar, where the native population has been killed, moved, or subjugated, and a new population moved in. It's really no different than the British in Australia, or the Russians in Siberia.
Except that in Australia most things there will kill you, and in Siberia a hot summer's day reaches as high as minus eleventy billion... Making the west American colonists & their descendants a bunch of Jessies... (steps back, waits for flame war to begin...)
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Tibet is an interesting one, should a hand full of million people live on lands half the size of Han Chinese China, with 1.2 billion. I intrinsically think it wrong for the Han to move in to Tibetan lands, but 1.2 billion do need living space.
Yup. That was Hitler's argument, I seem to recall.

China is big.

And 1.2 billion people is actually not so big.

Give each person on the planet standing room and you fit the entire population of the planet on to the Isle of Wight.

Besides, china is doing its best to keep the population down by building lots of really shoddy rail and bridge projects that collapse as soon as a small rat skitters across them, crushing the dense housing below...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.