Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

My very favorite thing to do in the USA is camping. I love the whole concept and the weather in the summer is nearly always good.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
My very favorite thing to do in the USA is camping. I love the whole concept and the weather in the summer is nearly always good.
Now if you can only destroy the mozzies, it might actually be fun to do

Saying that, FIL took me out to one of his log sites to look for moose, fantastic landscape, but in a lot of the nice spots along the river, people had dumped their campers to keep a spot.

He said it got to be such a problem with people keeping their campers in the best spots all summer long for the odd weekend visit that the state and some land owners were now actively only allowing a 2 week maximum stay before the campers get turfed, which is a lot fairer, especially as these were free spots, along the rivers or around lakes.

Way out in the boonies, amazing views.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Now if you can only destroy the mozzies, it might actually be fun to do

Saying that, FIL took me out to one of his log sites to look for moose, fantastic landscape, but in a lot of the nice spots along the river, people had dumped their campers to keep a spot.

He said it got to be such a problem with people keeping their campers in the best spots all summer long for the odd weekend visit that the state and some land owners were now actively only allowing a 2 week maximum stay before the campers get turfed, which is a lot fairer, especially as these were free spots, along the rivers or around lakes.

Way out in the boonies, amazing views.
I actually rarely camp in ME for that very reason; mozzies. We like the White mountains as they seem dry and amazingly bug free. The campgrounds we go to seem to cater more to tent campers so they get the best spots. I avoid those massive campsites filled with huge campers. All the lakes, swimming holes and hiking are pretty nice too. All in all something I'd miss if I moved back home.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I actually rarely camp in ME for that very reason; mozzies. We like the White mountains as they seem dry and amazingly bug free. The campgrounds we go to seem to cater more to tent campers so they get the best spots. I avoid those massive campsites filled with huge campers. All the lakes, swimming holes and hiking are pretty nice too. All in all something I'd miss if I moved back home.
I've done a KOA the once, that was enough...nightmare.

It is much more fun finding a log road and finding a quiet spot...less convenient with kids I suppose those
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, the KOA ones can be a bit dire. Finding a nice wilderness spot is fun too but since the kids came we've passed into the mini-van camping stage with lots and lots of crap to unload!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the KOA ones can be a bit dire. Finding a nice wilderness spot is fun too but since the kids came we've passed into the mini-van camping stage with lots and lots of crap to unload!
True.. the crap to unload is one of the serious downsides to wilderness camping.