Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am calling bollox on the landscape diversity! Its true there are amazing landscapes (so I believe, sadly I have seen few of them) but any large country has a wide variety of landscape; India, China. If you overlaid a map of America on Europe and placed my home now on where it was; then I could claim to have as easy access to desert and sub sahara landscape. Just being in a country does not mean you get to waltz over every weekend.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...pe_usjuxv3.jpg
Yes I was thinking that but you have actually taken the trouble to express it properly.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that the people in the town where I live have treated me as an equal since I arrived, and not as a newcomer with no right to be part of the town until I've lived here 40 years.

Also that Oregon is as big as the UK but with just under 4 million people living here.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

1. The weather
2. Being close to skiing and to the beach
3. The choice of foods
4. People are very friendly
5. The trusting nature of the people in the area I live
6. Lack of doormen and scallies :-)
7. Right turn on red
8. The crazy cars you get like massive customised F350s etc
9. Being close to the beautiful city of San Francisco
10. Golf is brilliant
11. Price of petrol (gas:-) still cheap for a brit
12. Actually like American Football and Ice Hockey (never thought I would get into American sport but am hooked)
13. When its sunny people go walking/hiking not just sit in a beer garden
14. Walking past a park and seeing families playing not just graffiti and broken bottles

Off the top of my head thats it I will think of more though :-)
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tilz
1. The weather
3. The choice of foods
7. Right turn on red
10. Golf is brilliant
12. Actually like American Football and Ice Hockey (never thought I would get into American sport but am hooked)
14. Walking past a park and seeing families playing not just graffiti and broken bottles

A lot of those are not because it is America,
some maybe your state (e.g. #2), others are your neighbourhood (e.g. #6)

edit: On #6 - I have never been asked to deposit a bag by the security in a large grocery store in the UK. I have in the US

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 11th 2012 at 8:36 pm. Reason: add anecdote
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
A lot of those are not because it is America,
some maybe your state (e.g. #2), others are your neighbourhood (e.g. #6)
Number 2 can be had in France and Italy quite easily I'd imagine.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

When it's sunny in New England I sit in my garden and drink beer. You are obviously a lot more health conscious than I am.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

1. The weather
3. The choice of foods
7. Right turn on red
10. Golf is brilliant

Somewhat selective vision, the beautiful city of San Francisco has a huge number of unfortunate homeless people not playing with their families in the parks.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Somewhat selective vision, the beautiful city of San Francisco has a huge number of unfortunate homeless people not playing with their families in the parks.
Inconsiderate so and sos ...

You'll be telling us there's gay bars there next
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

What happened to the OP asking for a positive thread !!
Yes there are lots of bad things too but the ask was to point out the positive ...
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:43 pm
I have a comma problem

What happened to the OP asking for a positive thread !!
Yes there are lots of bad things too but the ask was to point out the positive ...
I did. Airports ...
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Number 2 can be had in France and Italy quite easily I'd imagine.
True (in Northern Italy and south Eastern France) - and both are beautiful countries - but then you have the language barrier and the difficulty of an outsider breaking into the local economy (which are huge as my brother found living in France). Still if you can overcome those then great.

It's an obvious point but I will say Europe kicks North America's ass by several orders of magnitude when it comes to historic cities and diverse cultures; Prague, London, Paris, Istanbul etc etc... What I like about my part of the US, is the wild untamed aspect to it - the vast forests stretching off into the distance which are comparatively rare in Western Europe (I wouldn't say it's superior to the bucolic landscapes I grew up with in the South east of England but just different in a good way).

I guess something else I like about the country (and again this won't apply everywhere) is the diversity of people. I live in a dumpy town off the beaten path and yet the ethnic diversity and the number of different restaurants (esp Asian food) is not far off what I used to have in my old neighborhood in London. Course some people round here think that's a very bad thing indeed but I beg to differ.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I did. Airports ...
People talking things up.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Mountain biking mate. It gets you through the hard times until the snow comes round again. This year I intend to add kayaking to the list of things that make summer palatable.

Are you a fellow Highlander?
I am, teuchter through and through.

I'm not a great biker, I do it occasionally but it's not really my thing. I'd rather hike, but tend to overheat here in the summer!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Few drunks looking for a fight
Ordered crowd at the footy
Dicks burgers
Child friendly drinking establishments
(As a >21) the lack of <21 on a bender in the pub
Old Apr 11th 2012, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
Where in Colorado are you living?

I don't ski but I do climb and the couloir season has been poor this year.

Summer isn't too bad, you get to take the weight of the snow gear off you back and enjoy some nice class 3/4 traverses. FWIW, there are still a few steep lines that are still in for skiing (Hopeful, Dead-dog, Arkansas to name a few).

Anyway, back to the topic.

I just love living in Colorado, I love living just 45min away from the mountains and that I can enjoy them 365 days a year if I choose: everything from ice/snow/rock climbing to mountain biking to fly-fishing high alpine lakes.

I also adore the small mountain towns with only one road in and out that may just have a gas station and a convenience store and even the slightly more populated towns such as Buena Vista and Salida.
Colorado is a fab state. I'm a bit further south than you. I used to do a bit of climbing in Scotland but haven't for years - maybe I should take it up again. I do miss the sea though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.