Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Never thought Id say this but living surrounded by Giant Redwood trees is amazing
As is the view of SanFran from the Golden Gate bridge
The light hitting the hills in San Fran - cant explain it but it just seems so pure and clear and bright - odd really! (DH thinks im taking the "living in Humboldt hippy thing" rather too far!)
Nordstroms
Old Town Eureka - The Victorian houses and the "mom and pop" stores
The fact that if i wanted to I could go out shopping in my jammies and noone would bat an eyelid!! (I dont by the way! The standard dress is jeans and a hoodie cos its so cold half the time!)
Eureka library - best library ever (I do voluntary work there)
The customer service - I love being asked how i am and being told to "have a beautiful day, stay safe out there" when ive only gone in to buy a pint of milk!
I love this response!!

Coming from San Diego, and living on the East Coast, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss California. In my life I've lived all over Europe, all over the US, and even in Japan, but I've never found a place that comes close to the redwood forest, it's in my opinion the best place on Earth, no competition. I spent 2 days in the avenue of the giants this summer, and it was as close to heaven as you can ever be on Earth, I loved it so much.

sidenote- Glad everyone is mentioning the nature, I think the nature is what truly makes the US a unique place. So many varying landscapes, all beautiful in their respective ways. New England in the fall, the rainforests of the PAC Northwest, the valleys of southern california, the deserts of the west, the redwoods of Northern Cali, it's all spectacular, and just one reason to love the US.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Seriously I have never understood this at all. Seems like a really stupid idea. I wonder how many more crimes would be solved if license plates were required front & back in those states that only require one?
I really don't give a shit about whether more crimes would be solved... I like not having holes drilled into the front of my Mustang for an ugly front bracket... which I'd have to do if I was living, say, in Ohio... or Maryland!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 11th 2012 at 1:18 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
and all the birds: American robins, falcons, eagles.
Not to mention the Red Cardinals and the hummingbirds. I was never into bird watching but it's great sitting out on the deck in the sunshine and hearing a hummingbird hover past - or seeing two of them fighting over the feeder.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The Freedom above all....

To go for a trip to Cuba, or even say something nice about the leader of said neighbouring country, and get suspended from job with calls for you to be fired, and made to make a silly apology, and possibly still getting the sack.

(Re: Ozzie Guillen of the Miami Marlins baseball franchise)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/us/flo...tro/index.html
Yeah but since he's a South American immigrant being persecuted by a bunch of Cuban immigrants it does speak to the whole diversity thing.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The landscapes and wild areas.

Not where I live of course. Where I live it was all scoured off by an iceberg and there is nothing but flatness and fast food restaurants and cornfields for at least 500 miles in every direction.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

International airports.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:32 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

As an American, I'll agree with the responses here that say that the true trump card of life in the US is the beauty and diversity of the landscape. Everything else is debatable, but it's undeniable that the US has many natural treasures that are truly world class. For example, I can't think of too many other countries that have a collection of landscapes as diverse as:
- the Everglades
- the Grand Tetons
- Kauai
- The Pacific Coast Highway north of Monterrey
- Mount Washington
- Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks
- Olympic National Park
- Death Valley
- Boundary Waters, Minnesota
- Moab and the surrounding area, Utah
- Denali
- The Badlands
- The Pine Barrens
- etc

...it's pretty incredible how much there is to see in one country. Once you get a chance to travel around a bit and get an appreciation for the diversity, it's hard not to be impressed.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Turn right on red
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33

I think too much sun would be just as bad. Maybe.
It's not.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
But what about the other 51 weeks of the year?
Well they'll be a bit shit, yes
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
Turn right on red
Oh yeah, that is rather handy...unless you're a pedestrian, but who sees any of those anyway
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I don't know about Maryland, but out west in Oregon we have lots of photo radar which photos your front plate and frowning mug. Same goes for red light cameras.
Do you know how many cities in Oregon are authorized by the State to use photo radar? It's 5 and 2 of them do not deploy it. So there is hardly lots in Oregon, and only a very few cities, mainly Beaverton and Portland, have red light cameras.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:06 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

My wife!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
My wife!
That's sweet I could basically live anywhere and be happy as long as my hubby was a part of my life. But you know what ? I think we are all taken in my what's different about each country and then wonder what it's like to live elsewhere. We've moved around, both hubby and I since we were kids, and once we have made our money would like to give good old blighty a try to see what it's like. He's English and I'm a hybrid. We've been on holiday and the memories of how small and pretty everything is, tugs at my heartstrings when I think about it. I wanna go back even for a bit.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
..... the US is the beauty and diversity of the landscape. ..... undeniable that the US has many natural treasures... collection of landscapes as diverse......
I am calling bollox on the landscape diversity! Its true there are amazing landscapes (so I believe, sadly I have seen few of them) but any large country has a wide variety of landscape; India, China. If you overlaid a map of America on Europe and placed my home now on where it was; then I could claim to have as easy access to desert and sub sahara landscape. Just being in a country does not mean you get to waltz over every weekend.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...pe_usjuxv3.jpg

On a positive note: Dentistry (just got back) It might be unfair of me to compare my dentist now with what I had then and extrapolate as being representative of the nations, but I will anyway. I am a very resistive patient I tense up, looking back I see that my old dentist used to just give up on me and let me go. Here they have worked hard to get my mouth back to being healthy. I no longer tense up and find it almost a relaxing experience. The dodgy root canal, dodgy filling and the dodgy cap are all being addressed. (I might also be the victim of over treatment, who knows)

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 11th 2012 at 7:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.