Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
Yes, the people are much better here
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Here? Where is here? Do you mean the US? Which state? Which area of the state? And "much better" than where? Your response would be more believable if you were a bit more specific.

Ian
Why is it that folks are not allowed a little quiet irony until they have logged up 3,000 plus posts and been around for several years??
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKO

It's good here. You just have to want to enjoy it.
never was a truer word spoken
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:43 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why is it that folks are not allowed a little quiet irony until they have logged up 3,000 plus posts and been around for several years??

+1
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

I like not having to waste my breath saying "You're welcome" after holding a door open, helping someone carry their shopping, getting something off a high shelf for a short-arse, etc.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:03 pm
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I like not having to waste my breath saying "You're welcome" after holding a door open, helping someone carry their shopping, getting something off a high shelf for a short-arse, etc.
Yes, and whats this obsession with holding doors open for each other? You can be far from the door and the person stands there holding it for you for 15 seconds or more- forcing you almost run for it as to not inconvenience them any further.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you're going to get upset every time we post something negative about the US you're in for a rough ride. There must be loads of website for Americans to visit where you can all agree that everything about this country is the biggest and bestest in the world.
I don't mind bad things to say, but when everything you say is bad, it gets old. Especially when you post condescending remarks every few posts. If its that bad, go back.

I've quite enjoyed my time here, and I don't see how someone could be so miserable as to always post negative things...

You must live in Newark.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
Yes, and whats this obsession with holding doors open for each other? You can be far from the door and the person stands there holding it for you for 15 seconds or more- forcing you almost run for it as to not inconvenience them any further.
I rather like it, it's not all over the US though. When I'm in NYC, almost no one holds the door, same thing in a lot of California. I've actually only really noticed it in the South. It seems like a nice thing to do though.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:08 pm
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjreisen
I rather like it, it's not all over the US though. When I'm in NYC, almost no one holds the door, same thing in a lot of California. I've actually only really noticed it in the South. It seems like a nice thing to do though.
If i'm more than 10 metres away I just wave them on.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If its that bad, go back.
What a great idea! We've never heard that one before.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Simplicity of life
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is it not the truth?

I think if you're so miserable here, you've got bigger issues than needing to move back anyway. Come with me to visit my family in Hungary, then you'll be a little more thankful for what you have in the US. My aunt in Hungary is a teacher, with 4 years of college education, making under $500/month. Not so bad in the US compared to that is it? You can clean toilets here and make more than that.

All I'm saying is stop complaining, or take it off of this thread which asks "what you like about America." I never asked about your personal issues.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Is it not the truth?

I think if you're so miserable here, you've got bigger issues than needing to move back anyway. Come with me to visit my family in Hungary, then you'll be a little more thankful for what you have in the US. My aunt in Hungary is a teacher, with 4 years of college education, making under $500/month. Not so bad in the US compared to that is it? You can clean toilets here and make more than that.

All I'm saying is stop complaining, or take it off of this thread which asks "what you like about America." I never asked about your personal issues.
Hungary is nice though.. At least you don't have to deal with "right to life" and "my cold dead hands" over there. And they have Tesco's in Hungary!!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hungary is nice though.. At least you don't have to deal with "right to life" and "my cold dead hands" over there. And they have Tesco's in Hungary!!
The US is nice too! And nearly every other time I've gone to Hungary, we've had our car broken into by gypsies, and had over $3000 in stuff stolen, and $5000 in damage done. It's nice in many places, but the standard of living is incredibly low, my uncle moved to NYC with his girlfriend and they say they will never move back to Hungary. They love it here because the quality of life is so much better, and salaries are much higher. My other uncle works for Fujitsu in Budapest, and he's considered "upper-class" in his town of 30,000 people, making around $40,000 a year. Is that not insane?

My point is, people need to stop being whiney, and spoiled. How can you move from one first world country to another first world country and still complain? Thinking about my family living in second world poverty is enough to shut me up when I feel like complaining.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They love it here because the quality of life is so much better, and salaries are much higher. My other uncle works for Fujitsu in Budapest, and he's considered "upper-class" in his town of 30,000 people, making around $40,000 a year. Is that not insane?

My point is, people need to stop being whiney, and spoiled. How can you move from one first world country to another first world country and still complain? Thinking about my family living in second world poverty is enough to shut me up when I feel like complaining.
It's all relative isn't it though?

Sure, you might look at that salary and think it's shit. Others here might think that's actually pretty good. Especially when you consider cost of living variances across the country, healthcare being one of them.

Not everyone left a shit hole.

Not everyone is in a position to move around the US, never mind back to another country.

Neither is wrong, it's all personal experiences and they're just as right to feel the way they do as you are.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The US is nice too! And nearly every other time I've gone to Hungary, we've had our car broken into by gypsies, and had over $3000 in stuff stolen, and $5000 in damage done. It's nice in many places, but the standard of living is incredibly low, my uncle moved to NYC with his girlfriend and they say they will never move back to Hungary. They love it here because the quality of life is so much better, and salaries are much higher. My other uncle works for Fujitsu in Budapest, and he's considered "upper-class" in his town of 30,000 people, making around $40,000 a year. Is that not insane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.