Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Dungeness crab Even good in a cold salad. Caught some on the nehalem bay with a buddy. Lots of fun in a small boat zipping around the small bay pulling up crab pots here and there. Cooking can be a bit of a messy chore however.
I bought my first whole dungeness crab the other day - cooked. I learned how to break it down and separate out all the meat. It was an amazing feast for $10! Ironically, picked it up at Costco in AZ !
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I bought my first whole dungeness crab the other day - cooked. I learned how to break it down and separate out all the meat. It was an amazing feast for $10! Ironically, picked it up at Costco in AZ !
Next time you are in the Bay Area or farther north you should be able to get some live ones. Cooking is very straightforward. #1 bring a large pot to boil. # 2 insert live crabs. #3 cool, rinse and remove the meat. Don't forget the claws. Don't recall how long to boil them but I'm sure google knows.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'd love Maine then, seems so much cheaper on the coast up there than down here in Mass, grocery stores here in Mass seem to get it from the same places in Maine too and it's like 2-4 times more expensive.

Those dodgy little vans on the side of the road are best, at the back of petrol stations and the like

What's really nice is crawfish, not worth the hassle to cook it yourself as there's not enough reward, but it tastes fantastic....though seeing folks who eat it regularly, they know now to plough through those things in no time.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'd love Maine then, seems so much cheaper on the coast up there than down here in Mass, grocery stores here in Mass seem to get it from the same places in Maine too and it's like 2-4 times more expensive.

Those dodgy little vans on the side of the road are best, at the back of petrol stations and the like

What's really nice is crawfish, not worth the hassle to cook it yourself as there's not enough reward, but it tastes fantastic....though seeing folks who eat it regularly, they know now to plough through those things in no time.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:54 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

My dad and older brother used to catch/gather crawdads for a local river on the Oregon coast. This was back when I was a kid. They would come home with a sackful and start boiling. Mom and dad probably didn't get much to eat spending all the time shelling them for 3 kids 6, 4 And 2 years old.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Next time you are in the Bay Area or farther north you should be able to get some live ones. Cooking is very straightforward. #1 bring a large pot to boil. # 2 insert live crabs. #3 cool, rinse and remove the meat. Don't forget the claws. Don't recall how long to boil them but I'm sure google knows.
Just to add #4 to your list, Boil them outside or else you will end up with a house smelling like rotting fish in a day or two. We learned this the hard way after boiling 42 of them ( 6 of us ) inside, took us weeks of washing the walls down with white vinegar to get rid of the smell. needless to say we now do the crab boil in the backyard, live and learn.. On the bright side we only pay $7.00 for a 1 year shellfish license...Life is good in the PNW
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Just to add #4 to your list, Boil them outside or else you will end up with a house smelling like rotting fish in a day or two. We learned this the hard way after boiling 42 of them ( 6 of us ) inside, took us weeks of washing the walls down with white vinegar to get rid of the smell. needless to say we now do the crab boil in the backyard, live and learn.. On the bright side we only pay $7.00 for a 1 year shellfish license...Life is good in the PNW
Wow, I don't know what you did, I didn't have that result, I only cooked six however. Did yours come out tasting good?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I don't know what you did, I didn't have that result, I only cooked six however. Did yours come out tasting good?
They tasted wonderful, Old Bay seasoning in the water is the trick.
Well according to the locals I committed the greatest Faux Pas by cooking them inside and now I know why, perhaps it is the amount we cooked that created the smell ? We only go out as a group of friends so 35-60 Crabs is the usual amount we cook, clean, package for freezer etc..
Old Jun 11th 2012, 11:37 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Struck out at trader Joes and Wholefoods over the weekend... No "real" bacon, and no bangers. A huge sea of imposters...chicken sausages and "sweet italian" sausages, but nothing else.

Any other places to try before I cave in and use the intarwebs?
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Struck out at trader Joes and Wholefoods over the weekend... No "real" bacon, and no bangers. A huge sea of imposters...chicken sausages and "sweet italian" sausages, but nothing else.
Hmm, I see you're in CT. Much as I love Trader Joe's, I've been very disappointed. I guess like any other supermarket, TJ's has different products in different parts of the country. I've been told that other TJ's will sometimes have decent bangers & things like Halloumi cheese. I've gone to 4 different TJ's in southern CT at different times of the year, & never found either. In fact, not one of the TJ's even understood what Halloumi cheese was! I had to write it down for the staff. (I requested it but have no hope it'll ever appear.)

I like TJ's in general (no additives!), but this seems pathetic. Maybe there aren't enough Brits around CT? The one thing my local TJ's has is big boxes of strong Irish Breakfast teabags for a low price--I live on that stuff, so that gets my
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:31 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmm, I see you're in CT. Much as I love Trader Joe's, I've been very disappointed. I guess like any other supermarket, TJ's has different products in different parts of the country. I've been told that other TJ's will sometimes have decent bangers & things like Halloumi cheese. I've gone to 4 different TJ's in southern CT at different times of the year, & never found either. In fact, not one of the TJ's even understood what Halloumi cheese was! I had to write it down for the staff. (I requested it but have no hope it'll ever appear.)

I like TJ's in general (no additives!), but this seems pathetic. Maybe there aren't enough Brits around CT? The one thing my local TJ's has is big boxes of strong Irish Breakfast teabags for a low price--I live on that stuff, so that gets my
Sounds like what I experienced on the weekend.

I can go online for the stuff, but I'm reluctant to, due to the prices and a slight worry over the thought of having a box of bacon sat on my front porch all day while I'm at work.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like what I experienced on the weekend.

I can go online for the stuff, but I'm reluctant to, due to the prices and a slight worry over the thought of having a box of bacon sat on my front porch all day while I'm at work.
How far's this place from you?

UK Gourmet ...

Can't imagine CT is that big - look on the front page at those big fat, juicy sossies. I reckon that's your best bet. Prices are in line with other 'British stores' I've seen as well.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
How far's this place from you?

UK Gourmet ...

Can't imagine CT is that big - look on the front page at those big fat, juicy sossies. I reckon that's your best bet. Prices are in line with other 'British stores' I've seen as well.
Not too bad.. it's about an hour away. Could be our best bet. And yeah... The sossies look... drool... damn you.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not too bad.. it's about an hour away. Could be our best bet. And yeah... The sossies look... drool... damn you.
An hour's not too bad, actually. The bacon on the freezer page looks good too, and they have Danish
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
An hour's not too bad, actually. The bacon on the freezer page looks good too, and they have Danish
That hour IS looking shorter and shorter....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.