Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old May 16th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Me - it has to be a big mug, when i UK (NEVER drink tea in US tastes odd)
i put in milk first (got to be semi skimmed long life) - then add tea bag then add water then squidge the tea bag so its the colour of dishwater then add a dash more milk

Then......I fling the whole lot over my laptop - like i did last week and it cost £30 for a new keyboard and labour......
Old May 16th 2012, 10:59 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I like a nice glass of tea with lemon though, too.
You seem to have spelt "mug" and "milk" incorrectly.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You have to warm the pot first,
My grandparents used to warm the pot, the cup, and the spoon.
Old May 19th 2012, 11:22 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I like a nice glass of tea with lemon though, too.
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hot or cold........careful how you answer
That could be hot tea in the Russian style--delicious!! Hot concentrated tea from the pot into a tall glass, add your own water to taste, then lemon, with sugar, jam, or honey to sweeten . . . . no milk. Lovely!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My grandparents used to warm the pot, the cup, and the spoon.
Anyone warm the milk first? I've had that in France a few times--very good. Keeps the tea nicely hot to the end.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Turning right on a red light (been mentioned before).
The Weather Channel.
Buying ice cream by the gallon.
Buying furniture and getting it delivered the same day (unlike the 6-8 week wait we always had in the UK).
Being able to get a plumber out when you need one.
The fact that off-ramps on the Interstate are numbered for the nearest mile marker.
People like my accent.
Drive through ATMs.
I can borrow as many books as I want from the public library.
Women's clothes are labeled with a smaller size.
Target.
National Parks.
State Parks.
Designer Outlet Malls.
My walk in closet.
My huge bath with bubble jets.
Being able to make sausage rolls and a cake from scratch makes me some sort of domestic goddess.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Anyone warm the milk first? I've had that in France a few times--very good. Keeps the tea nicely hot to the end.
As a bit of a treat (I do not normally have sugar in tea) I like to make my version of chai, lots of tea, water and condensed milk all boiled in a pan.
(I dislike American chai, which has herbs but no sweetener)
Old May 21st 2012, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

PBS and the collection of kids shows, generally pretty good.

Verizon have a pretty decent collection on demand too, and the DVR to fill kids shit with, about all it gets used for these days.

But it's all counted against the fact that our service has been shit lately, blacking out randomly every few minutes for a few seconds at a time at the worst and it's just the tele aspect of it too.
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
Turning right on a red light (been mentioned before).
Yes, this is correct everywhere in the States *except* New York City. Right on red is allowed unless there's some sign or red arrow prohibiting it. The husband & I were confused when we moved to New England this summer & he researched it.

(I guess not that many people drive into NYC but we do, so the one exception to the rule is important to us . . . .)

I can borrow as many books as I want from the public library.
Love this! In fact I love our local library, which is much more of a social centre than my local branch back in the UK. There's a coffee machine & special tilted tables for reading the newspapers. It's still quiet, but seems more a place one can hang out than the UK libraries tended to be.

Women's clothes are labeled with a smaller size.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:44 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Our library is also amazing. It is huge, you can borrow as much as you like too. There are lots of social groups going on, courses, meetings, it is the hub of the community, more like a shopping Mall than a library. The teenagers hang out at the library in the evenings to study together! Its a way cool place to go. Mind you we pay for it in our taxes, worth every cent.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Grits, hush puppies, crawfish pie, drive through beer stores in PA, Montana in the summer, Macinaw Island in MI. The incredible abundance of trees and driving across the Rockies in January!
Old May 24th 2012, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Grits,!
Are you out of your mind?

Jim.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep! With sharp chaddar cheese & Tobasco
Old May 24th 2012, 4:33 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Grits
Ew.
Old May 24th 2012, 4:34 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The North
Old May 24th 2012, 1:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The North
True North Strong & Free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.