Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by cjreisen
The US is nice too! ..
My point is, people need to stop being whiney, and spoiled. How can you move from one first world country to another first world country and still complain? ... complaining.
I guess I just don't understand. Why shouldn't we whine and complain? We're British for God's sake. And the US has to be one of the world's best targets for complaint, maybe that's why we came to live here.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

Getting back to the original topic ... A couple of things I like about the US . . .

The First Amendment -- free speech and no establishment of religion:

No prior restraints on speech, no "super injunctions" or lucrative libel cases for put-upon celebrities, no one jailed for "hate speech," "holocaust denial" or other politically incorrect speech, no prayers and religion in public schools, no government-sponsored church (no "C of A".)

Fantastic musical heritage

Delta and Chicago Blues -- Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters etc. -- the roots of rock & roll -- Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. -- folk music -- Woody Guthrie to Bob Dylan etc -- Motown -- Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye etc. -- jazz -- Duke Ellington to Miles Davis and beyond. And that's just scratching the surface.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind bad things to say, but when everything you say is bad, it gets old. Especially when you post condescending remarks every few posts. If its that bad, go back.

I've quite enjoyed my time here, and I don't see how someone could be so miserable as to always post negative things...

You must live in Newark.
There are pros and cons for living here and living in the UK...or anywhere else. I've been here for 16 years and if it was that easy to go back permanently I would...but it's not. Just because you enjoy living here doesn't mean we all should...or that we should only post what you want to hear.

Yeah that's right I live in Newark...how did you guess?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 16th 2012 at 12:29 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are pros and cons for living here and living in the UK...or anywhere else. I've been here for 16 years and if it was that easy to go back permanently I would...but it's not. Just because you enjoy living here doesn't mean we all should...or that we should only post what you want to hear.

Yeah that's right I live in Newark...how did you guess?
I feel like we've been here before, JG, don't you?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FredCDobbs

No prior restraints on speech, no "super injunctions" or lucrative libel cases for put-upon celebrities, no one jailed for "hate speech," "holocaust denial" or other politically incorrect speech, no prayers and religion in public schools, no government-sponsored church (no "C of A".)

Errrr really?

As for the libel one, in the UK the onus is on the person making the statement to prove they are right whilst in the US it is on the accused to prove the libel, which is a bit back arsewards.

I do like the idea of separation between religion and government, but that isn't the reality. Look at the whole joke of science, evolution and sex education to see that it doesn't hold at all in many parts of the US.

Definitely got the music thing right though
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:14 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Errrr really?

As for the libel one, in the UK the onus is on the person making the statement to prove they are right whilst in the US it is on the accused to prove the libel, which is a bit back arsewards.
Wrong.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
Yes, and whats this obsession with holding doors open for each other?
Because it's polite? Would you rather let it go into someone's face? Of course, it's also polite to say "thank you" which is the part that seems to escape most of the populace in my part of the U.S.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:43 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Because it's polite? Would you rather let it go into someone's face? Of course, it's also polite to say "thank you" which is the part that seems to escape most of the populace in my part of the U.S.
heh heh - I'm a school dinner "lady" one day a week. I'm teaching the 1400 kids at our elementary school manners one ketchup packet at a time....no manners, no ketchup! Some of them can be really quick learners when properly motivated!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I feel like we've been here before, JG, don't you?
We have indeed...many, many times.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:56 am
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cluedweasel

Well I find it irritating, don't ask me why
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, and whats this obsession with holding doors open for each other? You can be far from the door and the person stands there holding it for you for 15 seconds or more- forcing you almost run for it as to not inconvenience them any further.

Huh?

Can't see anything wrong with being polite.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:20 am
Just Joined

cjreisen is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway, please let's just stay on topic now?

If you have negatives, or condescending remarks, please post them elsewhere.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well I find it irritating, don't ask me why
I'm English, and I hold doors open if I see someone heading for it behind me, let cars in front of me into traffic, wave thank you if another driver does that for me, greet strangers in the street if we make eye contact, and numerous other small gestures of politeness and consideration because they make the world a better place. I can't remember, and don't care, which of these customs is English and which American, or even if they belong to both countries. Being polite is free and the simple use of good manners can defuse all sorts of potentially stressful situations.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, please let's just stay on topic now?

If you have negatives, or condescending remarks, please post them elsewhere.
I'm afraid you can't control the discussion to this extent, particularly on this board. People here are used to freewheeling discussion and trying to stop that will just make you unhappy.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:29 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FredCDobbs
Getting back to the original topic ... A couple of things I like about the US . . .

Ermmm? Free speech is one thing, but i actually think hate speech should be a crime. I'd much rather live in a society where people are held accountable for their words as well as actions.
As for no prayers or religion in public schools, that's one thing, but I feel I'm subjected to more religion here in the US than I ever was in the UK. People are far more likely to talk to me about their religious beliefs here than in the UK, either that or they are more devout. Either way, I hate the amount of religion I face here on a daily basis. I try to be tolerant, but there are some times when I just have to be rude. People are incredulous that I don't believe in god, and if they persist, I have to tell them I don't believe in Father Christmas or the tooth fairy either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.