Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's on your American Bucket List?

Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:06 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's on your American Bucket List?

I've done most of the things on my bucket list, the only ones left are:

Drive to Alaska
Ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route
Go to Mexico (maybe even further south)
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
2017 total solar eclipse in Kentucky
Having the time and money to do all these things
I didnt know about this - I was in Cornwall for 1999 so will be making the drive for this one too
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I didnt know about this - I was in Cornwall for 1999 so will be making the drive for this one too
I've known about it ever since I made the decision to move here: It was a case of "right, let's look up eclipses in the area" . Sadly, I was not able to rustle up the funds to get over to Alderney as I'd planned to see the 1999 one so I had to make do with the, admittedly cool, 85% partial eclipse from my back yard and coverage from the lovely Phillipa Forrester on the Beeb.

Here is the wikipedia article for reference ...

I shall see you down there, then

ETA: as the article shows, the path of totality actually covers the width of the country - up into Oregon. KY just happens to be the point of longest duration and, by lucky hap, the closest locale to me.

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Sep 4th 2012 at 7:32 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I've known about it ever since I made the decision to move here: It was a case of "right, let's look up eclipses in the area" . Sadly, I was not able to rustle up the funds to get over to Alderney as I'd planned to see the 1999 one so I had to make do with the, admittedly cool, 85% partial eclipse from my back yard and coverage from the lovely Phillipa Forrester on the Beeb.

Here is the wikipedia article for reference ...

I shall see you down there, then

ETA: as the article shows, the path of totality actually covers the width of the country - up into Oregon. KY just happens to be the point of longest duration and, by lucky hap, the closest locale to me.

If it coincides with "Thunder Over Louisville" you will be able to see a Great Air Show, too.

Jim.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

7 hour drive from our home to Bainbridge, KN.

Yes you shall
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

7 hour drive from our home to Bainbridge, KN.

Yes you shall

KN?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:37 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
KN?
Or even KY

Lets not drive to Kansas
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

If it coincides with "Thunder Over Louisville" you will be able to see a Great Air Show, too.

Jim.
August 21, 2017 is the date though I'm not sure where the point of longest duration is in respect to Louisville. Could make a trip out of it though, there are a few caves we want to visit down there.

KN?
Actually, I hear the Republicans want to change the abbreviation of Kentucky to KN, since KY has too much to do with fornication and is probably related to contraception

Oh, my former colleague On Her Majesty's Service; Kansas is KS
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:38 pm
Often not so civil...

Ill get there in the end!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Ill get there in the end!
Road trip
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Unfortunately my hiking days are over, due to a very bad knee injury some years ago. I can manage about 2 hours but that is it.
Ahhhh... OK. You'd really like Arches, then. Lots of stuff to see with very short hikes (like a couple hundred feet).
Old Sep 5th 2012, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Eva Longoria
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:01 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Ahhhh... OK. You'd really like Arches, then. Lots of stuff to see with very short hikes (like a couple hundred feet).

Thanks, that's more my style.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Manc
Eva Longoria
In Belfast, we'd call that your American 'buck it' list ...

Good choice, though.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Drive 1,000 miles. Doesn't matter to where, just to say I've done it
I've done a 700 mile round, day trip. Driving that far is shit...but compared to the truckers, that's probably pretty weedy.

Anyway, I'd add to my list:

To see a bear in the wild

Appalachian Trail

Catch a stupidly large salmon in Alaska...and I hate fishing, but it looks pretty out there and what else is there to do

Go to some kind of All Stars sporting event, somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.