Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's on your American Bucket List?

What's on your American Bucket List?

Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's on your American Bucket List?

When my kids are a bit older i want to take them rafting/camping down the grand canyon as a father & sons thing.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

I'm already thinking about next year's trip - Alaska. My starting concept is fly to Anchorage, and rent a camper van for 2 weeks.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to take a drive down along coastal mexico but I'm not sure if that would be allowed on an American Bucket list
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I'd like to take a drive down along coastal mexico but I'm not sure if that would be allowed on an American Bucket list
It is on a North American bucket list. You just have to widen the net a bit.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
When my kids are a bit older i want to take them rafting/camping down the grand canyon as a father & sons thing.
Hopefully your son will be enthusiastic about it! My dad was a camping / outdoor nut, and dragged us all as a family on endless camping trips to the Lake District in UK. I learned to despise constantly being cold and wet, and sleeping on hard ground. These days I refuse to camp, preferring a boring motel with towels and mattresses. I suspect that, had he not rammed it down our throats, I would be more amenable these days to a nice bit of outdoor sleeping! That river trip does sound fun!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jacksdad619 is an unknown quantity at this point

My son crossed over to Boy Scouts earlier this year, so a lot of the hiking/camping destinations that appear on other people's bucket lists are on mine -Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Alaska, Pacific Northwest, etc.
Road trip! Actually, there's a few I want to do. Highway 1 up into Oregon will hopefully happen next year. I'm trying to persuade my wife to consider a move oop north so I can build us a house, and I think a drive up there would seal the deal. I know I'd miss the weather here in San Diego, but I want some greenery that doesn't need sprinklers to grow year round.
I also want to go on a Hot Rod Power Tour (Google it) with my kid. We have a 1967 Dodge Charger (check off another one on the list) languishing in the garage that I keep promising myself I'll finish one day, and before gas gets too expensive to even start it I'd like to let her stretch her legs on a long drive.
If you're a Brit with shooting on your list, make the most of your new home and go to a range. Checked that one off a while ago (pump load shotguns, a couple of 44 magnums, .22/.32/9mm semi-automatic handguns, various semi-automatic and bolt action rifles) and I even bought an old Russian M44 rifle/cannon so I can go and make some noise when I want. Lots of fun and well worth trying in a country where it's not frowned upon.
If I had to call it though, the number one thing on my list has to be owning a piece of land that I can call my own, with a view that I can happily wake up to and space to stretch without bumping elbows with a neighbor
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacksdad619
I'm trying to persuade my wife to consider a move oop north so I can build us a house, and I think a drive up there would seal the deal. I know I'd miss the weather here in San Diego, but I want some greenery that doesn't need sprinklers to grow year round.
Be sure to read the posts of the lady who moved to Eureka (sorry, forget her name off hand - CA Dreaming?) - she's not enjoying the weather there at all! Northern California coastal living may not be what you might imagine! I lived in San Francisco for 11 years and finally got tired of the cold, damp fog that hits every summer, and moved 27 miles inland to a completely different climate (can be 30+ degrees warmer).
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Be sure to read the posts of the lady who moved to Eureka (sorry, forget her name off hand - CA Dreaming?) - she's not enjoying the weather there at all! Northern California coastal living may not be what you might imagine! I lived in San Francisco for 11 years and finally got tired of the cold, damp fog that hits every summer, and moved 27 miles inland to a completely different climate (can be 30+ degrees warmer).
its me!! hello!!
Guess what - after 2.5 years here I actually quite like the weather in NorCal!! I know im fickle!!!!
But as I get older I find the heat harder to take and one thing is for sure you wont get heat here!
Its been a nice summer- actually some rather "balmy days" and we have broken records with being about 72f on some days - mainly tho in low to mid 60s which feels really warm
The air is clear and clean and generally fresh here - today has a very autumnal feel to it but still warmish - I like the fact that here we have no extremes of weather -its very moderate - never too hot or too cold
Saying that day after day of cool foggy weather in early summer was a bit hard to take ---I shall write again once the rainy season kicks in and I may not be so happy!!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
its me!! hello!!
Guess what - after 2.5 years here I actually quite like the weather in NorCal!! I know im fickle!!!!
But as I get older I find the heat harder to take and one thing is for sure you wont get heat here!
Its been a nice summer- actually some rather "balmy days" and we have broken records with being about 72f on some days - mainly tho in low to mid 60s which feels really warm
The air is clear and clean and generally fresh here - today has a very autumnal feel to it but still warmish - I like the fact that here we have no extremes of weather -its very moderate - never too hot or too cold
Saying that day after day of cool foggy weather in early summer was a bit hard to take ---I shall write again once the rainy season kicks in and I may not be so happy!!
If your neck of the woods follows the same pattern as SF, then you should be entering into the 'Indian Summer' about now - best weather of the year in SF is in Sept/Oct. Here's the official chart for SF and Eureka ... not much difference ...

You can do your own comparisons here ...
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...lanner/compare
Attached Thumbnails What's on your American Bucket List?-weather-sanfrancisco-eureka-highs.jpg   What's on your American Bucket List?-weather-sanfrancisco-eureka-lows.jpg   What's on your American Bucket List?-weather-sanfrancisco-eureka-rain.jpg  
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Hawaii second time around with the kids next year and Disney have yet to do Disney, and been here since 2001. Next month the Alien Highway Area 51 doing our Geocaches along the way.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, it's not entirely on a whim. I have a San Diego born friend that moved to Oregon (Glide, near Roseburg) a few years ago and she thoroughly recommended it - with the caveat that the first winter is a doozie of an adjustment period. I started doing some research and was surprised at the different weather patterns there - everything from "bring your scuba gear" wet on the coast (Coos Bay - 64" annual rainfall) to parched deserts in the east. Being a good sized squarish looking state it covers quite a bit of real estate and the weather is dramatically different depending on where you end up. And besides, thirty years in the northwest of Britain prepared me well...

Last edited by Jacksdad619; Sep 17th 2013 at 9:26 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

If your neck of the woods follows the same pattern as SF, then you should be entering into the 'Indian Summer' about now - best weather of the year in SF is in Sept/Oct. Here's the official chart for SF and Eureka ... not much difference ...

You can do your own comparisons here ...
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...lanner/compare
yep its been lovely the last couple of weeks - hope today is a blip
ive been here in Nov and its been lovely and lovely in Jan as well
I came to live here in March 2011 and it rained from when I arrived till June!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jacksdad619
Actually, it's not entirely on a whim. I have a San Diegan born friend that moved to Oregon (Glide, near Roseburg) a few years ago and she thoroughly recommended it - with the caveat that the first winter is a doozie of an adjustment period. I started doing some research and was surprised at the different weather patterns there - everything from "bring your scuba gear" wet on the coast (Coos Bay - 64" annual rainfall) to parched deserts in the east. Being a good sized big squarish state it covers quite a bit of real estate and the weather is dramatically different depending on where you end up. And besides, thirty years in the northwest of Britain prepared me well...
Yep the NW of UK will serve you well
Im from NE UK and apart from having no snow the weather is very "British" - I wear the same clothes here as I did (do) in the UK
No need to invest in summery stuff!! in fact here in NorCal Jeans and hoodies are t'order of the day!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Better start stocking up on warm clothes again.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've done a 700 mile round, day trip. Driving that far is shit...but compared to the truckers, that's probably pretty weedy.

I am a truck driver - my record is Gouverneur NY to Green Bay Wi (approx 1,000 miles) in 17 hrs- had a 4 hr sleep and was in Huntsville Al (850 miles) 14 hrs later

It's not something you want to do too often actually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.