British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's you favourite tipple? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-you-favourite-tipple-212289/)

PrincessofWales Feb 23rd 2004 12:40 pm

What's you favourite tipple?

I ask because everytime I go out I keep lushing after a vodka martini, but just can't do it, last time I had one the reaction was not pretty.

America loves cocktails! Albeit they call any pre-dinner drink a cocktail regardless of whether it has a brolly in it or not.

I always thought that only Del Boy and Ibiza-bound revellers drank cocktails...

I'm a deep berry,vanilla rich, Merlot girl myself.

Englishmum Feb 23rd 2004 1:06 pm

We have a restaurant with a seperate bar called "Martinis" in our town. It's so successful that they keep expanding and buy up the shops next door!

It's very hip and the decor is similar to what one would find in Manhatten. It's now it's getting a reputation as a place to find that "newly divorced Wall Street bond trader" and is now so popular that women are flocking there from not only other parts of New Jersey, but from NYC as well!

I sometimes go for a quick drink there before going to see a movie across the road, but I have to stick to one only as they're pretty potent - I like the bloody Mary martinis. They're pricey though - at least $9 each. I think they offer at least 18 different Martinis. The good thing is, they've just introduced Stella Artois on draught so I might drink that instead in future... :D

Manc Feb 23rd 2004 1:29 pm

Don't drink hardly anymore.

Did have 2 bottles of red wine the night England won the Rugby World Cup.

Before that was when we had visitors last summer. Still have some of the left over beers in the fridge from their visit.

CitySimon Feb 23rd 2004 2:00 pm

Boddingtons, Worthingtons, John Smiths, Theakstons, Tetley, Sneck Lifter, Black Sheep Ale, Caffreys, Bombardier, Spitfire, Trophy, London Pride...

I really miss a good pint... But I'm not "Bitter"!!!:D :D :( :D

shamur Feb 23rd 2004 4:22 pm

G&T, Budweiser, Piesporter (sp) white wine. and on very special occasions Reme Marten & soda.:beer: :beer: cheers

Franklin Feb 23rd 2004 4:31 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum

It's very hip and the decor is similar to what one would find in Manhatten. It's now it's getting a reputation as a place to find that "newly divorced Wall Street bond trader" and is now so popular that women are flocking there from not only other parts of New Jersey, but from NYC as well!

... :D

There must be about the same number of female newly divorced Wall Street bond traders - so where do they hang out? :D

Oggie Oi! Feb 23rd 2004 4:36 pm

Originally posted by CitySimon
Boddingtons, Worthingtons, John Smiths, Theakstons, Tetley, Sneck Lifter, Black Sheep Ale, Caffreys, Bombardier, Spitfire, Trophy, London Pride...

I really miss a good pint... But I'm not "Bitter"!!!:D :D :( :D

Ahhh, bitter. America hasn't quite learned to appreciate a good bitter because thanks to US beer adverts ("No bitter beer face!), they equate "bitter" with a cheap beer that has a bad aftertaste. At least they have discovered scrumpy.

Manc Feb 23rd 2004 4:38 pm

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
At least they have discovered scrumpy.
AAAh PA, you know who to address the summons too now...
here's your chance.

Franklin Feb 23rd 2004 4:44 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
AAAh PA, you know who to address the summons too now...
here's your chance.
Ahhhhhhhh! :D But do these hi-power women wear trousers with "deep pockets"! ;) What is that catch phrase in Matrix I, "... how deep does the bunny hole go"? Or maybe I got that wrong ... anyone?

lairdside Feb 23rd 2004 5:26 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
We have a restaurant with a seperate bar called "Martinis" in our town. It's so successful that they keep expanding and buy up the shops next door!

I sometimes go for a quick drink there before going to see a movie across the road, but I have to stick to one only as they're pretty potent - I like the bloody Mary martinis. They're pricey though - at least $9 each. I think they offer at least 18 different Martinis. The good thing is, they've just introduced Stella Artois on draught so I might drink that instead in future... :D
Find me somewhere that has Caffrey's on draught in the US and I'll move there.....:D

What I really loved was the Bushmills 12yr old single malt with the overtones of sherry and vanilla.

You can't buy it anywhere in the world except the distillery - which I used to live just down the road from.

Now I'm more homesick than ever(between this thread and the pancakes).. I wonder how many ff miles I have......

FlyergirlUK Feb 23rd 2004 5:32 pm

Drinking is out of the picture for me at the moment *sigh* still, as long as I have me Earl Grey, I'll live... :rolleyes:

lairdside Feb 23rd 2004 10:09 pm

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Drinking is out of the picture for me at the moment *sigh* still, as long as I have me Earl Grey, I'll live... :rolleyes:
*hugs* Flyergirl - I'll put the kettle on :)

A lad from Letterkenny I met the other day told me he can buy Barry's tea off the shelf close to him in SF.

I'd hate him but what I really want is a cup of Nambarrie *sob*

These wishy washy English teabags are driving me crazy :p

Duncan Roberts Feb 23rd 2004 10:22 pm

I'm almost positive that a local Irish pub (an almost authentic one too!) has Caffrey's on draft.
Even though I can get my hands on most English beer, I do miss my personal favourite pint, Jouster from Goffs brewery.

lairdside Feb 23rd 2004 10:27 pm

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm almost positive that a local Irish pub (an almost authentic one too!) has Caffrey's on draft.
Even though I can get my hands on most English beer, I do miss my personal favourite pint, Jouster from Goffs brewery.
Duncan - WHERE? NOW? PLEASE?

Sorry everyone - I don't know what came over me.......

rincewind Feb 23rd 2004 11:33 pm

For relaxing at home, Michelob Ultra. Doesn't make you feel blotted and you can just keep going.

When eating out at Ruby Tuesdays, my wife and I chug the Mudslides :D