British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Whats wrong with the telly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-wrong-telly-306194/)

Sarah Jun 1st 2005 8:23 am

Whats wrong with the telly?

Just like to hear you opinions on what you thought of American TV after you moved here.
I'm not talking about the obvious, like the fact that there are adverts every 0.5 seconds or that sometimes you've sworn all 279 channels in your home have all been showing Maury Povich or reality tv at the same time, but more about the level of violence on TV programmes.
One of the first things I noticed about shows over here was that they seemed more violent, I've never really been a fan of stuff like CSI although I know loads of people love it. Recently though I can't help feeling like the level of blood and guts is getting more and more. Law and Order was on in the background the other day and its opening scene was a really graphic, brutal rape, it was only about 8pm! A few weeks ago the USA channel were showing "The Omen" movie marathon from 6pm onwards which I thought was a bit sick. Then tonight my husband was flicking through the channels and on one show he flicked to was of cops discovering a woman half naked, chained to a bed with her legs apart and a ton of blood coming from her vagina. I am a bit sensitive to violence against women, I just think there's a hell of a lot of it in the cinema and TV and people get very used to seeing women being beaten up or raped or murdered and get desensitised to it (which I don't feel is a good thing) so I'll admit to that, however I don't think I'm overly sensitive to it, just very aware of it.
Also, I can't help noticing the time shows are put on; a while after I first moved over here I was up at the in-laws and was a bit taken aback to walk into the living room to see my 10 year-old nephew, who'd just come in from school, sat cross legged on the floor watching a 3pm showing of "Nightmare On Elm Street 3" He sat and watched as Freddy slashed his way through a load of teenagers whilst my in-laws sauntered through like it was the most normal thing in the world.
Am I just turning into some real conservative prude? Or is violence and scheduling on TV in the UK a lot more closely monitored? The only things I remember watching after school were Grange Hill and Tony Hart - I would've got a slap round the earhole if I'd been discovered watching "Nightmare on Elm Street" In fact my Uncle went ballistic when he discovered me and my cousin were watching "Fatal Attraction" when we were about 13 and nearly grounded us for a week!

Do you think I'm over-reacting a bit? Has anyone else here found that the programme scheduling ot be a little off at after-school times or felt a similar way about the violence on TV?

bxpuser7543 Jun 1st 2005 9:13 am

Re: Whats wrong with the telly?

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Just like to hear you opinions on what you thought of American TV after you moved here.
I'm not talking about the obvious, like the fact that there are adverts every 0.5 seconds or that sometimes you've sworn all 279 channels in your home have all been showing Maury Povich or reality tv at the same time, but more about the level of violence on TV programmes.
One of the first things I noticed about shows over here was that they seemed more violent, I've never really been a fan of stuff like CSI although I know loads of people love it. Recently though I can't help feeling like the level of blood and guts is getting more and more. Law and Order was on in the background the other day and its opening scene was a really graphic, brutal rape, it was only about 8pm! A few weeks ago the USA channel were showing "The Omen" movie marathon from 6pm onwards which I thought was a bit sick. Then tonight my husband was flicking through the channels and on one show he flicked to was of cops discovering a woman half naked, chained to a bed with her legs apart and a ton of blood coming from her vagina. I am a bit sensitive to violence against women, I just think there's a hell of a lot of it in the cinema and TV and people get very used to seeing women being beaten up or raped or murdered and get desensitised to it (which I don't feel is a good thing) so I'll admit to that, however I don't think I'm overly sensitive to it, just very aware of it.
Also, I can't help noticing the time shows are put on; a while after I first moved over here I was up at the in-laws and was a bit taken aback to walk into the living room to see my 10 year-old nephew, who'd just come in from school, sat cross legged on the floor watching a 3pm showing of "Nightmare On Elm Street 3" He sat and watched as Freddy slashed his way through a load of teenagers whilst my in-laws sauntered through like it was the most normal thing in the world.
Am I just turning into some real conservative prude? Or is violence and scheduling on TV in the UK a lot more closely monitored? The only things I remember watching after school were Grange Hill and Tony Hart - I would've got a slap round the earhole if I'd been discovered watching "Nightmare on Elm Street" In fact my Uncle went ballistic when he discovered me and my cousin were watching "Fatal Attraction" when we were about 13 and nearly grounded us for a week!

Do you think I'm over-reacting a bit? Has anyone else here found that the programme scheduling ot be a little off at after-school times or felt a similar way about the violence on TV?

whats TV????????????????,only watch the football,REAL football

englishnurse Jun 1st 2005 9:51 am

still living in blighty so havnt yet had this experiance however it doesnt sound very good! i would certainly not be happy about my children having access to these programmes and dont have any desire to watch them myself.
recent an advert over here for kfc recieved mulitple complaints as it featured people talking with their mouths full which was found offensive, especially by people suffering with speach impediments, also an advert for pot noodle was banned as it was deemed too suggestive ( have you got the pot noodle horn?)
who knows? maybe all this exposure contributes to violence and misbehaviour in children but then i feel that it is the responsibility of a childs parent to ensure children dont watch this stuff on tv

Lion in Winter Jun 1st 2005 11:14 am

I haven't seen that much English tv lately to compare, but yes, the violence is constant. At 5 pm on a Sat. afternoon it's very hard to find something I can sit down and watch with my kid. It must get kids used to/accepting of a certain level of violence in the culture.

Duncan Roberts Jun 1st 2005 11:18 am

I agree that TV is mostly pants and the adverts piss me off no end. However, when we moved we got a 12 month cable deal that includes HBO and Showtime, both with OnDemand, which is pretty much what we watch all the time now. No adverts, shows we want to watch when we want to watch them, it's nice.
They do need some kind of proper watershed. I agree that they show things too early but at the same time, if I'm watching Pulp Fiction at midnight I don't expect it to be edited to a 20 minute movie!

Lion in Winter Jun 1st 2005 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
if I'm watching Pulp Fiction at midnight I don't expect it to be edited to a 20 minute movie!

Well that's the thing - things that are on at a time when any kid could be watching are crammed full of blood, death, gore and violence, but later on , at night, the sex gets edited out for adults. :confused:

mandpete Jun 1st 2005 11:31 am

US TV will show blood, guts and violence but they always blur out nipples and bum cracks. :confused: My 8 year old noticed this on the last series of Survivor. :)

Lion in Winter Jun 1st 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mandpete
US TV will show blood, guts and violence but they always blur out nipples and bum cracks. :confused: My 8 year old noticed this on the last series of Survivor. :)

Your 8 year old is cleverer than the US censors. :D

ImHere Jun 1st 2005 12:28 pm

Now I know Im going to get flamed for this, and im not having a religion bash, but I am actually quoting what I was told by an American when I asked them a similar question:

Me: "Why do they censor out all the swearing and breasts but happily blow each other up and maim and kill in full gore on TV when kids are watching?"

Them: "Because cussing isnt Christian".

Me: "But what about the killing and gore?"

Them: "Christians can kill in name of good."

Go figure.

anotherlimey Jun 1st 2005 1:45 pm

On Halloween, Halloween was on at 2 in the afternoon, followed by the Exorcist :scared:

I think I've seen Terminator 1 and 2 during the day with virtually nothing cut. I've never understood why gory violence is OK on TV but showing a bit of a naked body isn't.

If I had kids, I'd rather they saw a naked body than a psycopath shooting everyone in sight.

Triumphrob Jun 1st 2005 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
Now I know Im going to get flamed for this, and im not having a religion bash, but I am actually quoting what I was told by an American when I asked them a similar question:

Me: "Why do they censor out all the swearing and breasts but happily blow each other up and maim and kill in full gore on TV when kids are watching?"

Go figure.

You are so right, Ive heard similar crap many times.
We just watch DVDs now, and as we have satellite, she watches her Chinese shows,
Rob

Triumphrob Jun 1st 2005 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If I had kids, I'd rather they saw a naked body than a psycopath shooting everyone in sight.

After all, they don't learn from it and then go shooting up schools or something, do they????

Rob

englishnurse Jun 1st 2005 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere

Go figure.

heheheh :D
maybe they are scared that showing naked butts on tv will turn the whole of america into the worlds biggest naturist camp!

adeshell Jun 1st 2005 2:38 pm

Crap. I have noticed a distinct improvement in the commercials though.

Ray Jun 1st 2005 2:50 pm

One of the first things I noticed about shows over here was that they ?

Cos you are getting what you paid for ... cut out all the premium channels and you will have watchable TV... albeit heavily censored .. and save a fortune