Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:05 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Yeah I've had a Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, one dollop of 'gravy', mash and pasta noodles) and then had to eat the pudding (green jelly with miracle whip mixed with cream cheese on top) on the same plate with the same fork!
I just threw up!

Joking, but I was close!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:07 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dan_alford]
Originally Posted by whiskers

Seems to be a lot of us on here

Sorry not from Norfolk , just lived in Norwich - Stoke Holy Cross for 10 years
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:07 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Yep - now that must have ben gross
I actually LOL!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:20 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Would definitely have to be the time Mom made Kidney pie... the most absolutely disgusting thing I could conceive of...except for some big ass eel or something, like Haggis or mushy peas.....yech!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Yep - now that must have ben gross
indeed...gotta love the extra salt
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:26 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
indeed...gotta love the extra salt

$3.59 for a bottle of Sarsons Vinegar with narry a chip to put the stuff on...its a crime I tell you
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Another nasty, well I think so at least, Fiddle Heads....those baby ferns..eek...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Partystar
I love sweet potatoes, but I roast them, exactly the same way I roast potatoes, they taste great that way, they are already sweet enough without having to add syrup, marshmallows or sugar!
aye, that or grilled, it's lovely, and sprinkle a bit of basil and parma ham, lovely stuff...sweet enough without marhmellows...and also that just leaves a weird texture to it...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ironporer
Would definitely have to be the time Mom made Kidney pie... the most absolutely disgusting thing I could conceive of...except for some big ass eel or something, like Haggis or mushy peas.....yech!!!!!!!!
I'll give you that....steak and kidney without the kidney please

and don't forget the cockles...hmmm...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

Haggis is really good and the ingredients are no worse than you get with most burgers and sausage.

I'm with you on the kidney, eel and mushy peas though.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Yeah I've had a Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, one dollop of 'gravy', mash and pasta noodles) and then had to eat the pudding (green jelly with miracle whip mixed with cream cheese on top) on the same plate with the same fork!

urghhhhhhhhhhhh :scared:

Last edited by geordiegirl2; Jun 28th 2006 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: What's the weirdest thing you have eaten in the USA?

Something which I refused to eat was at a street party/festival in Newark, New Jersey, on the day that Brazil won the World Cup four years ago.

There is a large Brazilian/Portuguese/Ecuadorian population in the Ironbound district in Newark, and at the street festivals they have lots of roadside stalls offering various ethnic food.

The vendors from Ecuador were offering deep-fried and barbecued *Guinea Pigs*. They still had their heads including the ears and tails on and were on large skewers. It's the most disgusting sight and I nearly threw up. I didn't like to ask how they managed to skin them (that's if they even did so). :scared:

The worst thing I've actually eaten was a few weeks back when we visited Graceland in Memphis, TN. Near the entrance to Graceland is a few diners and the plan was to eat something which was a favourite of Elvis. I chose the fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches. It was disgusting....two bites and I couldn't eat any more of it.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:38 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

I was taken aback the virst time I visited the south. Just like you get chicken breasts/legs and so on on the plastic/polystyrene trays with clingfilm/wrap over them, I saw in a supermarket turkey necks. 3 turkeys necks on a tray. Odd. The next weird thing I saw I had to take a picture of it so people back in England would believe it. It was at a super market near New Orleans, and it was a jar of pickled pigs lips.

Needless to say I am packing as many pot noodles with me when I head off to MS.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I've also seen chicken feet in the supermarket down here. I don't know what they taste like as Mrs Rompers wouldn't let me buy them
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Something which I refused to eat was at a street party/festival in Newark, New Jersey, on the day that Brazil won the World Cup four years ago.

There is a large Brazilian/Portuguese/Ecuadorian population in the Ironbound district in Newark, and at the street festivals they have lots of roadside stalls offering various ethnic food.

The vendors from Ecuador were offering deep-fried and barbecued *Guinea Pigs*. They still had their heads including the ears and tails on and were on large skewers. It's the most disgusting sight and I nearly threw up. I didn't like to ask how they managed to skin them (that's if they even did so). :scared:

The worst thing I've actually eaten was a few weeks back when we visited Graceland in Memphis, TN. Near the entrance to Graceland is a few diners and the plan was to eat something which was a favourite of Elvis. I chose the fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches. It was disgusting....two bites and I couldn't eat any more of it.
Guinea pigs, as food, are popular in Peru. I'd love to try one (in Peru). I've seen them being barbecued on TV.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.