Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's up with the Bread here?!!

What's up with the Bread here?!!

Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's up with the Bread here?!!

OK I've tried very hard to avoid posting this here ... but I'm now nearing desperation. What on earth is wrong with the Bread here?!!

Every brand I've tried so far has either sugar or high fructose corn syrup or some sort of dried corn or malt or other form of sugar ... in addition the list of ingredients is a mile long and it tastes absolutely rubbish.

Please ...pretty please .... can someone recommend a half decent brand of bread?

We've moved to the LA area just three weeks ago and the morning toast is starting to make me very very homesick indeed .

Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's up with the Bread here?!!

Originally Posted by julymermaid
OK I've tried very hard to avoid posting this here ... but I'm now nearing desperation. What on earth is wrong with the Bread here?!!

Every brand I've tried so far has either sugar or high fructose corn syrup or some sort of dried corn or malt or other form of sugar ... in addition the list of ingredients is a mile long and it tastes absolutely rubbish.

Please ...pretty please .... can someone recommend a half decent brand of bread?

We've moved to the LA area just three weeks ago and the morning toast is starting to make me very very homesick indeed .

Yes, most of the bread has sugar and fat and doesn't taste good.

But Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's have good bread.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:03 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the USA.

Now you have discovered the bread may I recommend you try the bacon, sausage and cheese. After which the bread isn't so bad.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julymermaid

Look for Farmhouse loaves in the fresh bread area, don't bother with any of the crap down the sugar aisle sorry I mean the bread aisle. Vons and Ralphs do a reasonable fresh loaf, makes pretty good toast, especially smeared with marmite.............. I await the discussion on marmite!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:06 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Bake your own bread. Good quality flour is available in US supermarkets. (We use King Arthur.) We buy our yeast in the local coop, because all they sell in the supermarket is the over packaged one serving sachets. Honestly, homemade bread is dead easy, ten minutes to make up the dough, stick it in the fridge for eight hours, then shape it & bake it.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:54 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You can get some really nice bread here... Just don't buy anything in the bread aisle.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Walmart bake bread daily. The French loaves (or Italian) are a good option. Only $1 but do not last long. At that price it does not really matter. We buy 4 or 5 at a time when they are fresh that day then put them in the freezer.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We wore out the bearings in our bread machine after two years. I think its a vital tool here.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Bake your own bread. Good quality flour is available in US supermarkets. (We use King Arthur.) We buy our yeast in the local coop, because all they sell in the supermarket is the over packaged one serving sachets. Honestly, homemade bread is dead easy, ten minutes to make up the dough, stick it in the fridge for eight hours, then shape it & bake it.
Or if that is too much faff, buy a breadmaker and let it do it all for you overnight so you wake up to fresh bread baking! All you need is flour, yeast, salt, a teaspoon of sugar to get the yeast going and some water. I used milk instead of water as I liked the softer crust it gave, also added some oil as a preference.

I never bought any bread after I got the breadmaker, it paid for itself many times over (and it was cheap to start with).
Old Jan 5th 2017, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing in advance to avoid the bread aisle will be v helpful to us so I'm glad you posted. Never used a bread machine but mentally preparing that I might need one!

So is there none of the 50/50 type bread I buy for the toddler? I don't want him to eat crap so I suspect I know the answer already.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I must be the only one here who likes it. I get the Arnold 100% whole wheat and it's tasty.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I must be the only one here who likes it. I get the Arnold 100% whole wheat and it's tasty.
Maybe the propane has affected your taste buds.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:09 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBK.../dp/B001C2KY7Y

The included rosemary bread recipe without the rosemary gives a good plain loaf

I make 12 rolls every couple of days but let the bread maker do the kneading and first rise. Recipe available on request.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Me too. Still not a patch on Hovis but about as good as it gets over here.

My wife has a bread maker which is great when fresh and warm but is stale within a day. Just replaced the bread maker after the old one quit.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Maybe the propane has affected your taste buds.
Got a cracking deal on some accessories!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.