Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Old May 17th 2005, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Simple question... what the rudest thing said to you in the US about where you have come from or your accent etc.

I got really pissed of a few months back when I took Emily for her check up at the doc's. I made the appointment with her GP but when I got there I was told the appointment was with the PA (physicians assistant). When I told the woman at the check in desk that I thought she was seeing the doctor I was told nope I had made the appointment with the PA... I told her I hadn't and she said 'you will have been told the appointment was with the PA, but you wouldn't have understood' I was so angry.

Ash
Old May 17th 2005, 4:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Simple question... what the rudest thing said to you in the US about where you have come from or your accent etc.

I got really pissed of a few months back when I took Emily for her check up at the doc's. I made the appointment with her GP but when I got there I was told the appointment was with the PA (physicians assistant). When I told the woman at the check in desk that I thought she was seeing the doctor I was told nope I had made the appointment with the PA... I told her I hadn't and she said 'you will have been told the appointment was with the PA, but you wouldn't have understood' I was so angry.

Ash

What a wanker. Called them a Slag or a Minger next time so then they won't understand YOUR accent
Once I was picking up a group of people at an airport (as a favour to my boss) and one old guy asked if I had brought him any lunch. I said yes, he asked me what was on the sandwiches and I said tuna. I pronounced it the brit way, ie, choona. But I didn't sound like some idiot Vicky Pollard Chav, just not the way they say it, ie, toona.
And he looked and me scoffed and said, "Sounds like someone needs to go back and learn English."

I AM ENGLISH YOU STUPID IGNORANT KNOBCHEESE!

When I worked as a Maitre D one woman also said she would slit my throat if she didn't get to sit at the table she wanted to. Oooh such a warm fuzzy welcome I got from my new country.
Old May 17th 2005, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
When I worked as a Maitre D one woman also said she would slit my throat if she didn't get to sit at the table she wanted to. Oooh such a warm fuzzy welcome I got from my new country.
ROTFLMAO...Are you serious? thats too funny... by the way did she get her table?

Ash
Old May 17th 2005, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The rudest thing someone has said to me here, is "Are you Australian?"
Old May 17th 2005, 5:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Hehe...would say the same, but then the person topped if off no, that's silly, you've got to be Welsh

No offence to the welsh, but errr...don't sound anything like one.

Was also told to piss off back to Australia once which amused me.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Dunca is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from the Isle of Man (no jokes needed), and have a relatively innocuous UK accent.

A guy at a corner of a street was sticking up posters knocked me into the street, whilst shouting "excuse me" at me. When I asked what he thought he was doing knocking me into the street (busy one at that!). He told me that he doesn't know what happens in Italy, but in America (I freakin hate that saying, its like SHUT UP your in MY COUNTRY and your NOT IMPORTANT) you should get out of the way when asked.

I suppose that been called Italian was more surreal than offensive :-)
Old May 17th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

At the dentist (total nightmare and strange foreign experience, they wouldn't even allow me to go sit with my daughter aged 13 when she was having treatment :scared: ) I was trying to wade through an extortionate bill that I was given. It was full of jargon I didn't understand and also had things missing off that I thought had been done. I tried to explain, in nice slow posh as I could get accent, what I wanted to know to the receptionist and she became exasperated with me - I stated that I was sorry but I had lived in England all my life and simply didn't understand and could she get someone who could explain it to me.

She replied "Well Mrs xxxx, you will just have to wait then, you are not in England anymore you know" I was astounded! I was so flabbergasted I nearly just went and sat down, but then I got mad!

I slammed my bag on the counter and lost my posh nice accent and in broad Yorkshire said
"Listen luv, I am well aware I am not in England and if you don't go get someone out here to talk to me right now I am gonna come round there and wipe this damn bill right off your bloody pc!"
Lukily I didn't have to go to jail for ransaking her pc cos she got her supervisor out. I left with daughter and records in hand and told the supervisor why we were not coming back.

I find that on a personal level Americans seem very polite - such as when introduced to a colleague of my husband, but on an impersonal level they can be off hand and rude. Also manners on the road SUCK!! but I won't even get started on that one!! Oh and whilst I'm at it - all of the American kids I have met have digusting table manners!! Got myself all mad now! need a nice trip to the pub , I wish!
Old May 17th 2005, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
G'day mate!

Old May 17th 2005, 10:50 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Most people I work with know I'm English but when asking about home why do they usually use the following phrase?

What's it like where you come from.... in London?

I'd rather be called Australian!!!!
Old May 17th 2005, 11:15 am
ImHere

My normal first meeting with a Yank goes like this:

Them: :"Hi, how are ya?"
Me: "Hello, im very well thank you." (in ultra posh accent)
Them: "Uh, sooo aah, where in England you from then?"
Me: "Yorkshire."
Them: Glazed look.
Me: "Have you been to England much?"
Them: "urhhhh....is that near London?"

Not rude per se, but there you go.

Old May 17th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

"You're only an L2" from an ugly fat cow at the local DMV yesterday.

6 weeks after starting school in America.
Teacher - "your son needs to learn how to spell correctly"
Husband - "No he doesn't he's great at spelling"
Teacher - "Sorry, he needs to learn how to spell English words correctly"
Husband - "It's you who has problems with the REAL English way of spelling
things not my son...."
Old May 17th 2005, 12:09 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by an old biddy in the park that English people don't know how to pronounce words properly Plus, we string our words too closely together in a sentence, and need to make our words clearer.
Old May 17th 2005, 12:25 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

A nice lady on the Social Security Helpline (rofl!) gave me a charming welcome to the US:

Me: Hi, I wonder if you can give me some advice. I'm over here on an H1B visa and I'm waiting for my SSN, but my wife's H4 visa doesn't entitle her to an SSN. What should she use instead when she applies for a drivers license?

Nice Lady: You illegals disgust me. If she can't have an SSN then she should be arrested and sent back to where she belongs. (SHOUTING) It's people like you who are dragging this country down. I'm calling my supervisor now and he'll call the police. [click]

******' morons
Old May 17th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dunca
He told me that he doesn't know what happens in Italy, but in America (I freakin hate that saying, its like SHUT UP your in MY COUNTRY and your NOT IMPORTANT) you should get out of the way when asked.

:-)
I really hate that "In America" stuff, the longer you are here, the more mongs you come across who say it - get some cultural and geography lessons, you buffoons!

Rudest thing I've come across was when a booze addled beggar just wouldn't take no for an answer for some cash - he got really mad, pushed me and called me a "Rude foreign white boy"! I won't post my response to him here....

Having now been here a while, I am slowly realising that despite the smily fake politeness you get a lot of, deep down, your average american is actually pretty rude and all about themselves. To be expected in this society I suppose given the encouragement to get in debt and live it big, but it does crack me up that they always think they are so polite - I'm sure a lot of them are only polite because it benefits them to be that way, and they don't really give 2 shits.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:13 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I've been here a really long time and people have only ever been nice to me.

You must be a bunch of rude feckers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.