Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats my Chances?

Whats my Chances?

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats my Chances?

Treat me gently, I'm new to this.
I know what I would like to do, but is it achievable?
I'd like to move to Florida and set up my own Villa Management company (yes I know there are 100's). I have one definate customer and feel sure more will follow. I know from experience that the majority of Villa owners are looking for a decent company and I KNOW I can do a better job than they are currently getting.
So whats the chances?
We have funds to purchase a property outright, set up the company and support ourselves without any work for 2 years at least. Will immigration look favourably or am I wasting my time with this avenue?
Is it a case of if you dont fit into one of the visa catagories (job promise or relations) there's no flexibility?
So if there's a possibility which visa should I be applying for?

Any Help gratefully received

Old Apr 24th 2003, 4:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats my Chances?

Originally posted by brisca
..... Any Help gratefully received
There are basically six ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv)get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

From what you say you'll need a visa under (v) above, but I can't recall off-hand what the "letter" (class) of the visa it is, ... E-1 I think.

I'm not sure that two years funds will be sufficient though, other classes of visa require five years of poverty level income if you don't have paid employment or a US resident US citizen as a sponsor.

Check the US Immigration Service web site for more details.

I hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski, aren't you glad they invented "Cut & Paste".
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help!
So according to USIS what is "poverty level income for 1 person for 1 year?
:scared: to ask
Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by frrussre
Pulaski, aren't you glad they invented "Cut & Paste".
Reg. Frank R.
Frank, I can't image what you are talking about!!
Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:10 am

Originally posted by brisca
Thanks for the help!
So according to USIS what is "poverty level income for 1 person for 1 year?
:scared: to ask
It's on the Immigration service web-site, somewhere, but it's about $15,000pa for two, so I'guess about $12,000 for one. There is a different, higher, amount set for Alaska and Hawaii though.