Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's to do in Atlanta?

What's to do in Atlanta?

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's to do in Atlanta?

I'm going to be Atlanta for a training course over the week of 6th of June and I was wondering whether any of you guys knew of anything to keep me occupied during the evenings there... What's the nightlife like?
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:05 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's to do in Atlanta?

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I'm going to be Atlanta for a training course over the week of 6th of June and I was wondering whether any of you guys knew of anything to keep me occupied during the evenings there... What's the nightlife like?
Downtown as NOTHING!! all hotels and convention centers. Driving around at the weekends it is a ghost town. Go a bit north to Buckhead (Get MARTA) for nitelife and bars, mainly younger growd. Or get a cab to Virginia Highlands if you want a bit more upscale.
Or go to Stone Mountain, "the worlds largest bit of exposed granite" !!!
Im afraid Atlanta gives a whole new meaning to the expression "Land of the Bland"
Waht training course? Im in the convention industry.
Rob
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

What about underground Atlanta? CNN center? World of coca cola? Centennial park? That stuff is all downtown and would provide a days worth of entertainment all within a very easy walk.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:24 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What's to do in Atlanta?

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
What about underground Atlanta? CNN center? World of coca cola? Centennial park? That stuff is all downtown and would provide a days worth of entertainment all within a very easy walk.
Underground Atlanta is a shopping mall, CNN is a food court, World of Coke, never been and Centennial park has a fountain, Maybe its cos Ive been here 20 years I find it VERY boring
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well yeah, after 20 years I'm sure it's boring but for 1 day it's all a bit different! You can do the tour of CNN and, if it's still going on, be in the audience for that dodgy talk show! The coke factory is good for 1/2 a day and the rest is decent enough for the rest. It's all pretty much in the same area so saves jumping on and off the MARTA. I agree that Buckhead is the place to go in the night. If the braves are playing you could always get the shuttle from 5 points and see a game.
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:14 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Well yeah, after 20 years I'm sure it's boring but for 1 day it's all a bit different! You can do the tour of CNN and, if it's still going on, be in the audience for that dodgy talk show! The coke factory is good for 1/2 a day and the rest is decent enough for the rest. It's all pretty much in the same area so saves jumping on and off the MARTA. I agree that Buckhead is the place to go in the night. If the braves are playing you could always get the shuttle from 5 points and see a game.
You can get Lilt for free at the World of Coke. That should be enough of a reason to go
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Atlanta a few years back and was surprised at how dead downtown was. We did Underground Atlanta and the CNN building and we also took in a Hawks NBA game at the old Omni. But at the time, Atlanta was being talked about as the new hot(Hotlanta) city, but I failed to see why.
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ScousePete
You can get Lilt for free at the World of Coke. That should be enough of a reason to go
Well, you can get a Lilt. If it's free or not is a debatable question!
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Peachtree Plaza, that's a beacon of modern engineering.
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are telling me is that Atlanta is like Skipton on a Sunday.

I was looking at a few hotels in Buckhead.

I am on a KOFAX training course at a place just to the north of the city.
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

So what you are telling me is that Atlanta is like Skipton on a Sunday.

I was looking at a few hotels in Buckhead.

I am on a KOFAX training course at a place just to the north of the city.

leave,lol,just kidding
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Something else you could do is ESPN zone in buckhead.
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:58 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Like Sushi - try MF Sushi - the best in the S.East !!

Like great food. Drive up 141 to the Forum Shopping Mall and have a meal at Grace 1720 (if your on expenses ).. The food is AWESOME.

If your there on a Friday - do Buckhead - a local benidorm without the beach

If you like Indian food, there's a few down town. And a few places that serve draft guiness

And then the extreme :-

They have a huge Dodgems center - called the "connector" where I-400/I-285 and I/-75 merge. Make sure you have life insurance.

Turn on the radio - every few mins between the adverts they play the same 6 songs.

If you want to take some of the back scenic roads anywhere - let me know as I've yet to find any.

If you manage to drive 100 yards without running into another stop-light or 4 way stop then you must have landed somewhere else other than Atlanta.

We love it though, been here 10 years.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll be flying back to Rochester straight after the course finishes on Friday 10th. We are moving into our new house on the 11th.

Originally Posted by franc111s
And then the extreme :-

They have a huge Dodgems center - called the "connector" where I-400/I-285 and I/-75 merge. Make sure you have life insurance.
I noticed that on the map. I was looking at routes from the airport to the north of the city and spotted that three interstates all crossed right in the city centre... Which planning genius thought up that one?
Old May 24th 2005, 2:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Which planning genius thought up that one?
They have planners ?? Are you sure? Most of the roads round here get dug up and/or re-routed more often than my kids railway set!

I had a spare day in Atlanta a couple of years back, and pretty much did what Duncan Roberts suggested - apart from CNN - that was closed for security reasons. Coca Cola was quite interesting. If you're a golfer, and you have time, we played up at some lakes (north?) of the city about 45 minutes - Lake Leanier or something like that. Quite nice, no idea of cost (we weren't paying!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.