Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with speeding tickets?

What's the deal with speeding tickets?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the deal with speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by MrDub
Have managed to avoid getting one thus far. Do they really cause your premiums to rocket !?
I've not had one in the US either but I know that 6 points in the UK caused my premium over there to jump by 15%.
Any excuse and these companies will load your premium guaranteed.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Have managed to avoid getting one thus far. Do they really cause your premiums to rocket !?
In a word. Yes.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I've not had one in the US either but I know that 6 points in the UK caused my premium over there to jump by 15%.
Any excuse and these companies will load your premium guaranteed.
So, not that I indent on speeding or anything but on the off chance I did and got caught I wonder would I get away with just handing the officer over my international driving licence i.e. pay the fine but take no points !!?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...especially if the ticket is for 15+ MPH over the limit (my 82 in a 65 ticket 5 years ago added something like $35/month).

Knock on wood... no tickets in 5 years, though I routinely drive 80 mph on the interstates and drive up to 5000 miles a month.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by ironporer
Yes...especially if the ticket is for 15+ MPH over the limit (my 82 in a 65 ticket 5 years ago added something like $35/month).

Knock on wood... no tickets in 5 years, though I routinely drive 80 mph on the interstates and drive up to 5000 miles a month.
Wow. I drive about 900 miles in a month and I thought I did a lot !
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

So, not that I indent on speeding or anything but on the off chance I did and got caught I wonder would I get away with just handing the officer over my international driving licence i.e. pay the fine but take no points !!?
I guess it depends on the state licensing rules - I always toyed with the idea of doing that, but in IL your foreign license is only valid for the first 3 months of residency - then again do they really have ready access to your residency info if you were just to show your foreign license.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the state licensing rules - I always toyed with the idea of doing that, but in IL your foreign license is only valid for the first 3 months of residency - then again do they really have ready access to your residency info if you were just to show your foreign license.
I was thinking about what would happen if you handed an officer a UK license; they'd probably ask to see your insurance card, which - I believe - has your US driver's license number on it.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:06 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I was thinking about what would happen if you handed an officer a UK license; they'd probably ask to see your insurance card, which - I believe - has your US driver's license number on it.
Ahh - good point
But what if you're not driving your own car.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:07 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh - good point
or it's in your wifes name?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What's the deal with speeding tickets?

In 2005, I did 110,000 miles in the course of my job + whatever I did in my personal vehicle.

Life on the open road.....you can't beat it.

Jim.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh - good point
They probably can't arrest you, so they probably can't make you come down to the station and they probably can't take your license with them to the station.

I wonder.....
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:31 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
They probably can't arrest you, so they probably can't make you come down to the station and they probably can't take your license with them to the station.

I wonder.....
They cannot take your UK license but if the traffic offense was enough to put you in court then the DMV could take away your driving privileges and if you are caught driving again then depending on your visa you could be deported or thrown in jail.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

22 miles each way to work 5 days a week..plus a few more trips into town on weekends- then I also often must travel from GA/AL up to IN or MI a few times a month. It only takes about 2 hours more to drive than to fly (calculating door to door times) so I drive and make the $.50 milage while controling my own destiny (and being able to smoke in my own car).
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britontour
They cannot take your UK license but if the traffic offense was enough to put you in court then the DMV could take away your driving privileges and if you are caught driving again then depending on your visa you could be deported or thrown in jail.

.....not worth the risk then I would say !.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:38 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

.....not worth the risk then I would say !.
Best option is to go the lawyer route from conversations I've had over here, might cost you but they know the loop holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.