British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's the deal with speeding tickets? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-deal-speeding-tickets-350774/)

anotherlimey Jan 25th 2006 6:36 pm

What's the deal with speeding tickets?

My BIL has 'got off' three speeding tickets by paying a lawyer $60 a time; apparently the tickets were completely wiped from his driving record.

How does that work and is it just a Florida thing?

TruBrit Jan 25th 2006 6:41 pm

Re: What's the deal with speeding tickets?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
My BIL has 'got off' three speeding tickets by paying a lawyer $60 a time; apparently the tickets were completely wiped from his driving record.

also heard of that here in tx....

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 25th 2006 6:50 pm

Get the lawyer to get it converted into a non-moving traffic offence, one which then only carries a fine and not points. Most counties will happily do it in exchange for doing a driver improvement course.

BigDavyG Jan 25th 2006 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Get the lawyer to get it converted into a non-moving traffic offence, one which then only carries a fine and not points. Most counties will happily do it in exchange for doing a driver improvement course.

In Illinois they give you this option on the back of the ticket you get.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 25th 2006 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
In Illinois they give you this option on the back of the ticket you get.

They do here, but legally you can only use the driver improvement option once per 12 months and 5 times (I think, may be 3) in your entire life. The lawyer gig generally circumvents this.

BigDavyG Jan 25th 2006 6:57 pm

They do here, but legally you can only use the driver improvement option once per 12 months and 5 times (I think, may be 3) in your entire life. The lawyer gig generally circumvents this.

Oh, didn't know about that - is this a legal loophole or is it something specific set up to let these money grabbing w**kers get their hands on even more cash ??

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 25th 2006 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Oh, didn't know about that - is this a legal loophole or is it something specific set up to let these money grabbing w**kers get their hands on even more cash ??

I'll plump for option B M'lud.

Scouse Express Jan 25th 2006 7:02 pm

Hi,

I would direct your attention to the adverts at the top of this thread.

If you have a Commercial Driver's Licence (CDL), new rules dictate that the points are stuck there. You cannot get them off by attending Traffic School.

Jim.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 25th 2006 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hi,

If you have a Commercial Driver's Licence (CDL), new rules dictate that the points are stuck there. You cannot get them off by attending Traffic School.

Jim.

CDL's are a different breed to the bog standard class E most punters drive around on. At least you are expected to actually be able to drive to hold a CDL.
It's the same in the UK. Anyone caught doing naughties on an HGV or PSV license would get the book thrown at them.

anotherlimey Jan 25th 2006 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hi,

Jim.

I doubt many of us have a commercial drivers license.

If I got caught speeding, I'd be torn between paying the court and attending traffic school/receiving points, or paying a blood sucking scumbag less money.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 25th 2006 7:13 pm

I doubt many of us have a commercial drivers license.

If I got caught speeding, I'd be torn between paying the court and attenting traffic school/receiving points, or paying a blood sucking scumbag less money.

I'd swallow my pride and go the lawyer route....unless you like your insurance premiums to rocket for the next few years.

anotherlimey Jan 25th 2006 7:14 pm

I'd swallow my pride and go the lawyer route....unless you like your insurance premiums to rocket for the next few years.

I'd probably do the same :o

BigDavyG Jan 25th 2006 7:18 pm

Yep - you're either going to be paying one scumbag (lawyer) or another (insurance company) so no real ideal solution either way.

Celsius Jan 25th 2006 7:23 pm

I'd like to cite the above as an example of a responsible adult..... not. :rolleyes:

MrDub Jan 25th 2006 7:25 pm

Have managed to avoid getting one thus far. Do they really cause your premiums to rocket !?