Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's with Brits and Florida?

What's with Brits and Florida?

Old May 15th 2007, 1:19 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's with Brits and Florida?

It's nearly turned into a cliche, but from what I can discern there's more than a kernel of truth to stereotype of the English plumber wanting to immigrate to Florida.

Why Florida? Does the Florida tourism board advertise incessantly over there or is it just word of mouth? The U.S. is a big place with plenty of places to go for a vacation, other warm places with beaches even!

It probably doesn't help that I'm not a sun and beach type of person, I prefer cool weather and the woods so maybe I just can't see the attraction.

So, can anyone enlighten me?
Old May 15th 2007, 1:22 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with Brits and Florida?

I can't speak for others, but I'm a Brit in Florida purely by coincidence. My husband was born and raised here, and it's ironic, because both of us HATE the sun and heat.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Why Florida? Does the Florida tourism board advertise incessantly over there ?
Basically yes.......and of course more people mean more
charter flights which means cheaper prices...
Old May 15th 2007, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Because they get cheap deals to come over for a 2 week holiday at Disney. They pay next to nothing while they are there, have a lot of money because they saved it up for the holiday and got a good exchange rate, have a great time because they in a make believe place and only see a couple of weeks worth of weather. So basically they equate it to being well off, fun, good weather, no bills and cheap living.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Now I want to go there.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

It's nearly turned into a cliche, but from what I can discern there's more than a kernel of truth to stereotype of the English plumber wanting to immigrate to Florida.

Why Florida? Does the Florida tourism board advertise incessantly over there or is it just word of mouth? The U.S. is a big place with plenty of places to go for a vacation, other warm places with beaches even!

It probably doesn't help that I'm not a sun and beach type of person, I prefer cool weather and the woods so maybe I just can't see the attraction.

Well even for the yanks - Florida, California, Arizona are what you think of for life in the sun, warm weather. And florida is cheaper than california, and has oceans which arizona doesnt.

Same reason lots of yanks retire there.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:14 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Before I lived in America, I loved coming on vacation to Florida. With the KIDS that is. They were in a dream world. It was fantastic to see their expressions everyday.

Do I feel different about Florida today. Not really, it brings back mostly great memories of when my boys were little.

Coming from England, hating France and loving sun, sun, sun, I loved Florida.

Now I get Sun all the time and I'm older, I do miss Europe (not England too much). I'd love to cruise the Med and Greece etc.,
Old May 15th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

It's more than a cliche about Brits and FL.

Most Brits love the sun and the love FL 'cos it's cheap, hot and frighteningly humid. There's Disney for the kids and the kids at heart.

FL is OK for a vacation but I don't get why so many Brits want to move to FL. It has the summers if you like very hot and even more humid but it also has extreme weather such as hurricanes and flooding.

Two weeks at Disney or even a fortnight at the beach does not give insight into living/life in the US. It doesn't even make a dent.

You can count me out as a Brit who likes FL. Been there, done that, didn't get sunburnt and certainly did not go to Disney.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe said plumber thinks with florida having lots of brits living there it will help enable him to build up his business, dunno.

brits love the sun, sand and sea ....period. if the sun's shining then all's right with the world....one of the main reasons they head for aussie as well as florida.

i prefer the cooler temps to live in and then head for the sun for my hols.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well even for the yanks - Florida, California, Arizona are what you think of for life in the sun, warm weather. And florida is cheaper than california, and has oceans which arizona doesnt.

Same reason lots of yanks retire there.
True, I didn't think of it like that.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:43 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

We as Brits slag of Americans for their lack of Geography or knowledge re Britain/Europe etc.

But are we just as bad and don't admit it?

I say when back home in the UK that I had lived in the US and most say oh I've been to the US..Disney (thats it they haven't been anywhere else) a couple said New York.

So when I hear an American say oh I've seen the UK (and they've never been out of London) I have more patience and understanding.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
It's more than a cliche about Brits and FL.

Most Brits love the sun and the love FL 'cos it's cheap, hot and frighteningly humid. There's Disney for the kids and the kids at heart.

FL is OK for a vacation but I don't get why so many Brits want to move to FL. It has the summers if you like very hot and even more humid but it also has extreme weather such as hurricanes and flooding.

Two weeks at Disney or even a fortnight at the beach does not give insight into living/life in the US. It doesn't even make a dent.

You can count me out as a Brit who likes FL. Been there, done that, didn't get sunburnt and certainly did not go to Disney.
True, the summers are horrid hot. But the rest of the year is nice - 8-9 months.

Whereas up north - you maybe get 6 months of nice, and six months of cold.

So would you rather spend a few months hiding in the a/c and enjoying the rest? Or shoveling snow...
Old May 15th 2007, 4:04 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You are all stereotyping Florida there are very beautiful parts with forrests and hills it's not all Whorelando and geriatrics
Old May 15th 2007, 4:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Thydney
You are all stereotyping Florida there are very beautiful parts with forrests and hills it's not all Whorelando and geriatrics

True, my experience with Florida is limited. I've only been to Tampa for a week and I was in training most of the time. Managed to find a decent seafood place and a place called Ybor to drink. I didn't make it outside the city which is something I normally try to do in those situations.
Old May 15th 2007, 4:15 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
So would you rather spend a few months hiding in the a/c and enjoying the rest? Or shoveling snow...
There is an inbetween you know for some of us, PNW, (got about 2 weeks of snow) and San Francisco etc

Florida is just too hot for me 10 months of the year , love the climate here can go out and do things, walks etc, work in the garden and its just pleasant not too hot, apart from one month in the year where I take a break and just lounge around The climate here really is like the South of England on the coast

I am enjoying practically wise a lot more than Indy and North VA where I ran from a/c to a/c and never did anything outdoors in the Summer months!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.