Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the best state for tax purposes?

What's the best state for tax purposes?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best state for tax purposes?

Originally Posted by Juswus

Even if you live in the most heavily taxed state, Maine (which collects an average of 13.5% of residents' income),

I knew it!!!!
Our property tax is 8% of our income before you even think about federal tax, state tax, medicare tax and the rest.

Good thing the weather's so good here eh? Oh... hang on...

Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:08 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Our property tax is 8% of our income before you even think about federal tax, state tax, medicare tax and the rest.

Good thing the weather's so good here eh? Oh... hang on...

haha!

You getting more snow tomorrow too?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
haha!

You getting more snow tomorrow too?
So I hear... and I had just rediscovered my drive (and been horrified at the state of the tarmac)...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:34 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
So I hear... and I had just rediscovered my drive (and been horrified at the state of the tarmac)...

I just drive up ours really quickly so I don't notice
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Arctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes but, unfortunately, you have to live in Alaska
Don't be fooled into thinking that Alaska is all darkness and igloos. It's fantastically beautiful up here, and (depending on which part of the state you live in) it isn't always that cold either. Anchorage does not have a city sales tax, but property taxes are always complained about. But, I think they're always "too high" wherever you live, aren't they? Anyway, if you want to find out about Alaska, check out http://www.anchorage.net

As an aside, Alaska is also the only state that pays you to live here. We have an oil revenue fund that pays Permanent Fund Dividends to every resident who lived here most of the prior year. Checks come out in October, and have been as high as $1,963 per person.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arctic Gal
Don't be fooled into thinking that Alaska is all darkness and igloos. It's fantastically beautiful up here, and (depending on which part of the state you live in) it isn't always that cold either. Anchorage does not have a city sales tax, but property taxes are always complained about. But, I think they're always "too high" wherever you live, aren't they? Anyway, if you want to find out about Alaska, check out http://www.anchorage.net

As an aside, Alaska is also the only state that pays you to live here. We have an oil revenue fund that pays Permanent Fund Dividends to every resident who lived here most of the prior year. Checks come out in October, and have been as high as $1,963 per person.
Hi:

We considered a vacation in Alaska. The cost was prohibitive! Even with the strong Euro/weak Dollar, Europe was a bargain!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:44 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
We considered a vacation in Alaska. The cost was prohibitive!
Alaska is a really good place to use airline miles to go to: if you're in a program that gives a flat rate for domestic, you can usually use it to go to Juneau or Anchorage for the same "mile price" as going between e.g. Philly and Miami.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Alaska is a really good place to use airline miles to go to: if you're in a program that gives a flat rate for domestic, you can usually use it to go to Juneau or Anchorage for the same "mile price" as going between e.g. Philly and Miami.
Hi:

True -- we were planning to do that. But the costs up there were prohibitive. And also, the "open jaw" trick was unusable.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Arctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to allArctic Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

We considered a vacation in Alaska. The cost was prohibitive! Even with the strong Euro/weak Dollar, Europe was a bargain!
Alaska is a bit expensive, I'll admit. But, oh is it worth it! Europe does not have anything like the glaciers, sealife and wildlife that we have here - not to mention the mountains! Come up and visit us. You can email me privately if you'd like information about what to do and see in Southcentral Alaska. (I don't handle cruises, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, etc., but I can talk about a lot of other areas, especially Anchorage).

I am NOT a travel agent, and I DO NOT sell anything to anyone. But, I do have free info. for visitors if you'd like it. I work for the Anchorage Convention & Visitors Bureau!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:53 pm

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arctic Gal
Alaska is a bit expensive, I'll admit. But, oh is it worth it! Europe does not have anything like the glaciers, sealife and wildlife that we have here - not to mention the mountains! Come up and visit us. You can email me privately if you'd like information about what to do and see in Southcentral Alaska. (I don't handle cruises, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, etc., but I can talk about a lot of other areas, especially Anchorage).

I am NOT a travel agent, and I DO NOT sell anything to anyone. But, I do have free info. for visitors if you'd like it. I work for the Anchorage Convention & Visitors Bureau!
Are you sure that this isn't viral marketing? I have heard the same things from other people who have been there.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Are you sure that this isn't viral marketing? I have heard the same things from other people who have been there.
Well, I hadn't thought of it that way. It was purely a personal offer from me to any interested person, with full disclosure about my employer.

No advertising ploy here!!! Just an enthusiastic Alaskan singing its praises!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm

Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:20 pm
lush

Alaska is definately on my list of places to see at some point in my life...it looks so beautiful
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

TexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really nice

There are 7 states without an income tax. I think it is Alaska, Florida, Texas and a few others.

I moved from NYC to Dallas (Texas) for that reason in 2002. I couldn't stand paying so much in income taxes.

I love it down here, no income tax to pay and no state income tax return to file.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to Alaska on business many years ago. It's a great place!

It is nowhere near as cold as (eg) Minneapolis/St Paul, or Michigan in the winter (average low in Anchorage is 9F; average low in Minneapolis is 4F). And in the summer, it can hit 80F in Fairbanks.

The people are fantastic, and the scenery is awesome.

Just about the only difficult thing about Alaska is the short daylight period in the winter; but then, you get 23 hours of daylight in the summer!

-------------
If you are looking for a place to retire, I guess the question has some merit; but if you are working, I can't imagine why anyone would choose a state to live in based on the tax situation. Unless you work for the government, which has 'fixed' pay scales for specific jobs, you may make far more for a given job in a state that has tax vs. what you could make in a state without tax. I pay a net of about 6% to CA in taxes, but I know for sure I would have to take a cut in pay of well over 6% to work in other states in my field.