Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's attractive about OH / KY?

What's attractive about OH / KY?

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Blech.... my opinion is of course coloured by the fact that my ex-husband's hometown is Louisville and my ex-MIL is a big Louisville supporter while my ex's cousin is a big UK supporter. Basketball season is always contentious!

I'll be honest and say that I'm not fond of Louisville, Lexington, or Cincinnati, and would choose Chicago over all of these if not for the s-s-snow there!
Cincinnati isn't bad. Lots of neighborhoods with distinct personalities and town squares. Lots of beautiful buildings, hilly scenery that is often quite beautiful, and a location on the river. Two major universities in town (Xavier and University of Cincinnati) and access to many significant employers. Also a low cost of living. Professional sports at a reasonable price. It may not be as exciting as some other cities, and as someone not originally from here it can be a little harder to break in, but people from Cincinnati are friendly, and tend to love it here and not want to leave.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My perception of Cincinnati (besides visiting there) has been coloured by reading that it's a fairly conservative, family-values kinda place. Now, I know that you cannot judge an entire city by this! but in combination with what I have observed, I do wonder.

I've seen the attraction of "belonging" -- that's the main reason why anyone moves to my home town. The family connections are very, very strong, especially in the Hispanic community, less so in the "Anglo" community. (Most "white" people there are not of English descent!)
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My entire perception of Ohio is that it's all either my father's boyhood family farm or the Drew Carey Show.
Nothing else, just those two things.

Oh, and now, "deer".
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

My perception of Cincinnati (besides visiting there) has been coloured by reading that it's a fairly conservative, family-values kinda place. Now, I know that you cannot judge an entire city by this! but in combination with what I have observed, I do wonder.

I've seen the attraction of "belonging" -- that's the main reason why anyone moves to my home town. The family connections are very, very strong, especially in the Hispanic community, less so in the "Anglo" community. (Most "white" people there are not of English descent!)
Yes, it is fairly conservative, that's true - but as you said - it's good not to generalize. I interviewed a candidate last week ... when my co-worker asked what she thought of Cincinnati she said "Heart of the midwest, that's for sure. I've heard it's very conservative and I don't think it's good if everyone thinks the same way ... as I'm very well-traveled."

As you can imagine - that went over quite well. Better to hold your tongue my dear. (Edited to add - referring to candidate here.)

I'll find some pics of what I'm talking about in case you're curious.

Here's a good one - gives you a flavor for the different neighborhoods, etc.: http://www.pbase.com/cincyimages/cincinnati

If the Union Terminal looks familiar - it was the inspiration for headquarters in Batman.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Mar 22nd 2008 at 8:37 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely pictures -- Cincy sure cleans up nicely!

We don't have nearly as many architectural treasures as do most cities "back East." However, the spirit of the people here is what is invigorating. Above average education, above average open-mindedness.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lovely pictures -- Cincy sure cleans up nicely!

We don't have nearly as many architectural treasures as do most cities "back East." However, the spirit of the people here is what is invigorating. Above average education, above average open-mindedness.
Yes - being in a more liberal minded city - particularly near water - appeals to me. Unfortunately more and more I'm starting to think that it will be hard if not impossible to get my husband to want to move somewhere. While he's 'not opposed' to moving elsewhere, I've never really seen him put any effort toward it either ... and sometimes it's necessary to chase an opportunity rather than to wait for it to fall into your lap.

That being said, I think I'd rather be in Cincinnati than any other city in Ohio.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
Mass / CT
CT is a bit dry, which is surprising, except the crazy bird...quite a few new folks in Maine now, typical
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007 View Post
Here's a good one - gives you a flavor for the different neighborhoods, etc.: http://www.pbase.com/cincyimages/cincinnati
FANtastic pics.. wow it looks *very* gorgeous there. I can see why you & DH are attached!

OK, when's the prime month for visiting there?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?

Here's a list of all the "Fun-Stuff" to do in OH/KY;

(This Page Has Been Left Intentionally Blank)

Jim.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
FANtastic pics.. wow it looks *very* gorgeous there. I can see why you & DH are attached!

OK, when's the prime month for visiting there?
Lol - the best time to visit here eh? I would say perhaps May or June, or September - October. Summers are very hot and humid and winters are full of freezing rain, etc.

That being said, there ARE nice things to do in this city. Now that I'm out of school I think a trip to the National Underground Railroad Museum is in order. Might as well look for opportunities for things to do in our own town.

And Cedar Point (near Sandusky -northern Ohio) is worth a visit for any rollercoaster fan - don't care where you're from!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what they say Cleveland is/is going to be...

Here's the reality...

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I still miss the place. When I first came over I was taken to the Flats my last night, got very drunk. Next day I found out in NY that there was a 24 hour strike in London and was stuck there. All I saw was the toilet in my hotel room.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva View Post
I'm sorry I still miss the place. When I first came over I was taken to the Flats my last night, got very drunk. Next day I found out in NY that there was a 24 hour strike in London and was stuck there. All I saw was the toilet in my hotel room.
Interesting. I'm guessing that was a while ago right?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
Interesting. I'm guessing that was a while ago right?
I know things have changed, that was 1981! I lived there when they filmed "A Christmas Story". I still believe one day the Browns will win the Superbowl.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

What might be fun to know is, in the arial view picture of Cleveland, the rectangular black building to the left of the tall tower is the A.J. Celebrezze federal building, where the ASC is located.

That's were me and kidlet (and no doubt a gazillion others here ) got fingerprinted for the I-751.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.