British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's attractive about OH / KY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-attractive-about-oh-ky-522214/)

Duncan Roberts Mar 17th 2008 11:38 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?

Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6072191)
Chesterland. I love it there and Sis seems pretty happy there too. Good schools, leafy lanes, etc. Best of all I actually saw a river with real water in it:eek:

Chesterland is nice, got some good apple picking there! I think it's some sort of Mormon holy place or something like that, or another town close by is.

Paul S Mar 17th 2008 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6073560)
Chesterland is nice, got some good apple picking there! I think it's some sort of Mormon holy place or something like that, or another town close by is.

Duncan, That's Kirtland your thinking about;)

Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6072191)
Chesterland. I love it there and Sis seems pretty happy there too. Good schools, leafy lanes, etc. Best of all I actually saw a river with real water in it:eek:

My boss lives out in Chesterland. Quite a nice area. We are in Willoughby, so we are well within staggering distance for the Willoughby Brewing Company:eek::thumbsup:

Duncan Roberts Mar 17th 2008 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 6073724)
Duncan, That's Kirtland your thinking about;)

Nope. Patterson fruit farm, apples, berries, rhubarb, all kinds of stuff. All in Chesterland.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 17th 2008 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6072224)
Yep. SNOW. we've had 1 snowfall in the 5 years I have lived here

If you like winter, and many people do (just not me), then OH or KY is great (obviously not as severe as Chicago or the nort east)

the horse races and hot blonde college girls in lexington are nice, but....

I'm glad to see you have such high opinions of my state BGT. But then, I'm a little biased being a Louisville, KY native. Have also lived in Cincinnati area for a few years and didn't mind it there.

To the OP, if you want all extremes of weather then KY & OH will give you all you want. Tornadoes, heat, 100% humidity, freezing rain, ice, snow, rain, drought. You never know what you'll get weather-wise. But the cost of living is pretty good in these areas, so if you want more for you dollar, these areas are pretty good compared to larger cities like Boston, Chicago, LA, etc.

Paul S Mar 17th 2008 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6074010)
Nope. Patterson fruit farm, apples, berries, rhubarb, all kinds of stuff. All in Chesterland.

Ah righty. I know the place. I was thinking Kirtland from your Mormon comments:eek:

Thydney Mar 17th 2008 2:41 pm

The secret about KY is not to let the missus see you with in :sneaky:

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 6074017)
To the OP, if you want all extremes of weather then KY & OH will give you all you want. Tornadoes, heat, 100% humidity, freezing rain, ice, snow, rain, drought. You never know what you'll get weather-wise. But the cost of living is pretty good in these areas, so if you want more for you dollar, these areas are pretty good compared to larger cities like Boston, Chicago, LA, etc.

Thanks. That is one of the things that's quite important to us, low cost of living, reasonable housing, that way I can hopefully take a more modest, low stress job.

Duncan Roberts Mar 17th 2008 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6075745)
Thanks. That is one of the things that's quite important to us, low cost of living, reasonable housing, that way I can hopefully take a more modest, low stress job.

Just remember that the salaries are based on the cost of living too. Just because you can live on less doesn't mean you will get paid the same as a higher cost of living city. In other words, the high stress jobs just have a lower salary than elsewhere.

MsElui Mar 17th 2008 10:29 pm

we are in Ohio (Columbus) since October and really liking it. The weather is not as severe as our northern neighbour Michigan - and the housing is reasonable and the people friendly. We had a choice of several parts of the US when we were offered the visa - and every time I think about - I think we made the right choice and will be very happy here. Its not the most exciting place in the US but its growing and friendly and clean and its plenty enough for me.

Duncan Roberts Mar 17th 2008 10:40 pm

And you have the columbus crew!

HunterGreen Mar 18th 2008 1:24 am

What's attractive about Ohio? Besides me? :p

*blank stare*

Just kidding, it isn't all bad. We're about an hour and a half south of Lake Erie and don't even get the lake effect snow. So there's your positive. ;)

I'm not British though so can't tell you what all you Brits see in it. ;)

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 21st 2008 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6075907)
Just remember that the salaries are based on the cost of living too. Just because you can live on less doesn't mean you will get paid the same as a higher cost of living city. In other words, the high stress jobs just have a lower salary than elsewhere.

True - but while salaries tend to be higher in areas with a higher cost of living, they don't seem to be high enough to offset the difference (at least not in my industry) so I think you can still potentially still make out better here.

Manc Mar 21st 2008 3:14 am

T'is offial, I'll be moving to Akron by July.

for deffo.

righty...........
me needs a pub showing footy on saturday mornings.......

Thydney Mar 21st 2008 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 6091803)
T'is offial, I'll be moving to Akron by July.

for deffo.

righty...........
me needs a pub showing footy on saturday mornings.......

and thats where?

Manc Mar 21st 2008 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 6091827)
and thats where?

Ohio