British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's attractive about OH / KY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-attractive-about-oh-ky-522214/)

BritishGuy36 Mar 16th 2008 8:44 pm

What's attractive about OH / KY?
 
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of forum members who are living in OH and KY (unless it just so happens that the more active posters are living there).

I wondered why these two states are "popular" for British Expats?

Or am I imagining the whole thing? :)

We will at least initially be living in southers OH too.....

Manc Mar 16th 2008 8:46 pm

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 
I'd say the states with the most active British immigrants to be

New York / New Jersey
Mass / CT
Florida
Cali
Texas.

Duncan Roberts Mar 16th 2008 9:14 pm

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6071109)
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of forum members who are living in OH and KY (unless it just so happens that the more active posters are living there).

I wondered why these two states are "popular" for British Expats?

Or am I imagining the whole thing? :)

We will at least initially be living in southers OH too.....

**** all. Cleveland is great when it's not winter though. It has it's moments in winter as well.

BritGuyTN Mar 17th 2008 12:22 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6071109)
There seem to be a disproportionate amount of forum members who are living in OH and KY (unless it just so happens that the more active posters are living there).

I wondered why these two states are "popular" for British Expats?

Or am I imagining the whole thing? :)
.....

yes

They are not

I think its just active posters

a $50k payrise would not convince me to move to Louisville, and it would take more than $100k payrise to move to OH

Bill_S Mar 17th 2008 2:05 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 
There's nothing especially British about OH or KY. You're probably just noticing active posters. I was LOL at BritGuy's comments. I like OH because of the low cost of living, easy access to big cities like Chicago, Boston, New York for vacation getaways. But BritGuy has that in TN, with no snow. I won't argue... I grew up in Canada so winter doesn't bother me. Southern OH doesn't get the snow from the lake and the climate is more moderate than up north, but low-lying areas are prone to flooding down there. Be careful about that when house hunting.

Kaffy Mintcake Mar 17th 2008 2:17 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 
I live in Southern Ohio, but I'm American. Where will you be moving to? If you're coming to Cincinnati and are looking for places to live, just let me know what your preferences are (and if you have kids in school or not) and I'm happy to recommend some neighborhoods.

bevinva Mar 17th 2008 2:20 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6071224)
**** all. Cleveland is great when it's not winter though. It has it's moments in winter as well.

Love the Cleveland area too. :thumbsup:

geeandtee Mar 17th 2008 2:27 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 6072151)
Love the Cleveland area too. :thumbsup:

Hopefully, if and when our GCs are sorted and the house prices pick up a little, we'll be on our way to east of Cleveland, my sister lives there, and we were quite taken by the area...especially all the greenery and, oddly enough, all the snow.

Perhaps this post should be stored away for some future point when I'm posting about how fed up we are of shovelling snow.

Paul S Mar 17th 2008 2:31 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6071224)
**** all. Cleveland is great when it's not winter though. It has it's moments in winter as well.

agreed:eek:



Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 6072151)
Love the Cleveland area too. :thumbsup:


are you mad:confused::confused:


Originally Posted by geeandtee (Post 6072174)
Hopefully, if and when our GCs are sorted and the house prices pick up a little, we'll be on our way to east of Cleveland, my sister lives there, and we were quite taken by the area...especially all the greenery and, oddly enough, all the snow.

Perhaps this post should be stored away for some future point when I'm posting about how fed up we are of shovelling snow.


coo, where abouts:confused:. We are east side and its not that bad, apart from the snow belt;););)

geeandtee Mar 17th 2008 2:32 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 6072187)


coo, where abouts:confused:. We are east side and its not that bad, apart from the snow belt;););)

Chesterland. I love it there and Sis seems pretty happy there too. Good schools, leafy lanes, etc. Best of all I actually saw a river with real water in it:eek:

bevinva Mar 17th 2008 2:41 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 6072187)
agreed:eek:





are you mad:confused::confused:




coo, where abouts:confused:. We are east side and its not that bad, apart from the snow belt;););)

I'm not mad, I live in Virginia Beach, this place has no soul. I want to see a Browns home game in the new stadium.

BritGuyTN Mar 17th 2008 2:42 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 6072123)
There's nothing especially British about OH or KY. You're probably just noticing active posters. I was LOL at BritGuy's comments. I like OH because of the low cost of living, easy access to big cities like Chicago, Boston, New York for vacation getaways. But BritGuy has that in TN, with no snow. I won't argue... I grew up in Canada so winter doesn't bother me. Southern OH doesn't get the snow from the lake and the climate is more moderate than up north, but low-lying areas are prone to flooding down there. Be careful about that when house hunting.

Yep. SNOW. we've had 1 snowfall in the 5 years I have lived here

If you like winter, and many people do (just not me), then OH or KY is great (obviously not as severe as Chicago or the nort east)

the horse races and hot blonde college girls in lexington are nice, but....

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 7:41 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 6072145)
I live in Southern Ohio, but I'm American. Where will you be moving to? If you're coming to Cincinnati and are looking for places to live, just let me know what your preferences are (and if you have kids in school or not) and I'm happy to recommend some neighborhoods.

Thanks for the offer. We are heading further south than you (initially), towards the OH/KY/WV tri-state area, where my wife's family are.

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 7:42 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6072224)
the horse races and hot blonde college girls in lexington are nice, but....

My sister-in-law lives in Lexington.....but she's not blonde...or all that hot.... :rofl:

BritishGuy36 Mar 17th 2008 7:42 am

Re: What's attractive about OH / KY?
 

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 6072123)
low-lying areas are prone to flooding down there. Be careful about that when house hunting.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:53 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.