Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's the alternative?

What's the alternative?

Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default What's the alternative?

Currently in the process of reducing our posessions - chuck, give away, sell, keep etc...

We really don't need a 20ft container BUT we still have too much stuff for half a dozen suitcases. Is there a solution in between?

I was going to find out if we could buy a couple or so Crate's or Trunks and fill those up. Then I was going to call the airline and find out how much it would cost to have this additional 'baggage' fly with us when we go (as well as our pets but that's another story).
Has anyone else done anything like this? Any ideas..........?

Cheers everyone
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:57 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

The company we used said we could share a container if we didn't have enough stuff to fill one on our own. We didn't need to share in the end, but that's a different story. Each package is individually labelled and accounted for, so there is no confusion about who's is who's. The only problem is it may take longer to get over there, as they wait until there are others who want a part load sent to the same area aswell.
http://www.pss.uk.com
Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:00 pm
Fm Mitcham 2 Clearwater F

Slartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura about

Hi Whatever,

We're in the same sitaution as you, I think you'll find that most international removal firms would just ship any number of boxes you want to fill and they would share a container with other boxes. To give you an idea about prices I've just had a quote from simpsons ( http://www.simpsons-uk.com/index.html ) to ship about 20 cartons (size about 18x18x18) from London to Florida for £630 door to door.

As you say pets add to the headache! We're just looking into shipping our two cats, shame we can't give them a carton each but I think the 8 weeks by sea might upset them!

Good luck in your move,

dave
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the alternative?

The shipping company that took our "main load" also took, collected separately a couple of days earlier two air-freight trunks - each about 30"x20"x12" and shipped them by air to Newark where we collected them. I seem to recall that it cost us about £100, plus insurance. So just check nearby international movers and they should be able to help you.

I'd suggest that you don't try to check you excess stuff as extra baggage when you fly as the excess baggage charge will be frightening. .... And the airline will have security concerns, and you'll have to deal with customs when you arrive (whereas in practice they pay little attention to "commercial" air shipments).