Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all
Default Re: What are your plans for Thanksgiving Day?

Just met the in laws in NYC for. Week in Nyc and the parade, it'll be the third time we've been here for it, so maybe that's our tradition. This year we have an apartment and dinner from Whole Foods booked too. NO marshmallow sweet potato though!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mommapudding
Just met the in laws in NYC for. Week in Nyc and the parade, it'll be the third time we've been here for it, so maybe that's our tradition. This year we have an apartment and dinner from Whole Foods booked too. NO marshmallow sweet potato though!
Happy TG fellow Yorkie.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We ordered a load of outrageously extravagant food from Zabars in New York, arriving tomorrow
:curse:
After tracking our box o'goodies all morning on UPS (it took four flights to get from NYC to here, less than 400 miles..) the shipment arrived... minus the bagels. The blintzes, the knishes, the whitefish, the corned beef, the rugelach, all present & correct. But no bagels! I just called customer service, they said they'd left out the bagels by mistake, they'll send them out now, we'll get them tomorrow.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:58 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

They'll be fresher anyway! Bagels are always best the first day or two. You gotta admit there's nothing like NYC bagels!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
They'll be fresher anyway! Bagels are always best the first day or two. You gotta admit there's nothing like NYC bagels!!!
Yes but they were to eat today! (Now they'll be to eat tomorrow.) This is all building up to the feeding frenzy on Thursday. My wife has five pounds of sweet potatoes .. large quantities of brussels sprouts too.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes but they were to eat today! (Now they'll be to eat tomorrow.) This is all building up to the feeding frenzy on Thursday. My wife has five pounds of sweet potatoes .. large quantities of brussels sprouts too.
Oh no! Did you let them know that? They should send you something extra or take something off your bill. If not call customer service and let them know.They should definately do something for you!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Oh no! Did you let them know that? They should send you something extra or take something off your bill. If not call customer service and let them know.They should definately do something for you!
That's OK.. tomorrow's good too. I'm over the initial shock of lack immediate gratification...
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:40 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

going to a lovely yorkshire pub for the best roast beef dinner ever..and with yorshire puddings the size of your head..and you get two on a plate..*drool*
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:04 am
Just Joined

noxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to all

This is our third year, i'm vegetarian but don't like the pretend 'roast' things they make, so i cook bits of turkey for him and am more than content with everything else.
In preparation, i have got a lovely tin of red Bisto gravy from the 'Tea and Sympathy' people in NYC, says 95p on the tin, cost me $7... entirely worth it!!!
The only other veggie gravy i found was in whole foods, and i didn't like it much....
I couldn't find a Turkey breast so i got some 'Turkey chops' instead.... its hard to know what to get when you don't eat meat.... will do nearly every vegetable you can think of, mash and roast some parsnips mmmmm!!!
I really really want to make some yorkshire puddings, he's never had them before, and i've never made them from scratch before, have read some stories about people using recipes from the UK and having them not rise the same over here..... i read a tip on getting the correct flour and someone named 'Gold Medal' brand, so i got some of that today, but would really like if anyone has any experience with this and can give me some tips please. I will check the recipes thread as well
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:36 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
This is our third year, i'm vegetarian but don't like the pretend 'roast' things they make, so i cook bits of turkey for him and am more than content with everything else.
In preparation, i have got a lovely tin of red Bisto gravy from the 'Tea and Sympathy' people in NYC, says 95p on the tin, cost me $7... entirely worth it!!!
The only other veggie gravy i found was in whole foods, and i didn't like it much....
I couldn't find a Turkey breast so i got some 'Turkey chops' instead.... its hard to know what to get when you don't eat meat.... will do nearly every vegetable you can think of, mash and roast some parsnips mmmmm!!!
I really really want to make some yorkshire puddings, he's never had them before, and i've never made them from scratch before, have read some stories about people using recipes from the UK and having them not rise the same over here..... i read a tip on getting the correct flour and someone named 'Gold Medal' brand, so i got some of that today, but would really like if anyone has any experience with this and can give me some tips please. I will check the recipes thread as well
My Mum's tip for Yorkshires, which has always worked out great for me, is to make sure the oil is REALLY hot before you put the batter in... that way they will rise!!! I haven't had any trouble getting them to rise using all purpose flour over here! Good Luck
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
I make yorkshire puddings every week theres no difference to the ones I make here and the ones I used to make at home, I just use general purpose flour whatever brand I have.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:50 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
My Mum's tip for Yorkshires, which has always worked out great for me, is to make sure the oil is REALLY hot before you put the batter in... that way they will rise!!! I haven't had any trouble getting them to rise using all purpose flour over here! Good Luck
+1

Originally Posted by traceym
I make yorkshire puddings every week theres no difference to the ones I make here and the ones I used to make at home, I just use general purpose flour whatever brand I have.
absolutely agree..
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Yes that is very important...the oil (dripping is best) should be smoking. Always leave the batter to air for 30 mins or so before pouring into the tins and don't be tempted to opened the oven door before the puds are ready.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

noxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to all

thanks all of you, i feel a bit better about it....
if i have a problem can i get a recipe from one of you guys??
Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like everyone has some great plans for Thanksgiving, and I wish you and yours a great day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.