Reload this Page >

what was on your lost?

what was on your lost?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:01 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking what was on your list?

Hi

I am planning ahead, always one who needs to make lists etc.! So.... your input will be valued here. (food aside) What Brit stuff did you take to the US with you that you are glad you did, or what would you take if you did it all again? And what would you leave behind?

Helen

Last edited by helenw; Apr 18th 2004 at 8:43 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:11 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Food and beverages (good tea bags and galaxy choccie !!) aside, I brought sentimental stuff that I couldn't part with. Such as my 'good' English china, bone china from my Nan etc. Also, photo albums, clothes, shoes, cd's, my good Kef speakers, jewelry etc.
The shipping freighters go on size, not weight, so I didn't bring ANY furniture, I just bought it all here (I love Ethan Allen) plus it's cheaper here anyway. You can't bring electrical stuff over here, so that's decided for you - your computer should be ok as they are usually switchable between voltages, so if it's a good one worth bringing, then bring it (try to ship in original box)
Bring 'knick knacks' too, that remind you of home - it's always nice to see familiar things around the house so it feels like home. (your fave mugs, ornaments etc)
Tracy in Texas.

Last edited by Tracy in Texas; Apr 18th 2004 at 9:14 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto- bring anything that has sentimental value. I brought all my ornaments, china,TEAPOT, paintings, books, photos etc etc. One thing we have found invaluable, and I've never seen in the stores here, is a hot water bottle!! I'm going to get a few when I go home soon- as my son-in-law has ours on permanent borrow (he gets backache and loves the thing).

I gave the children carte blanche to bring anything at all they wanted..figured that was only fair. And I'm glad I did- my friend's daughter, who is now 27, has never let her mother forget that she wasn't allowed to bring her toys, in particular, Basil Brush- which couldn't be replaced here. So we shipped all their toys and knick knacks.

I wish I'd brought more furniture- my daughters bedroom suite which she is STILL trying to replace here and cant, our bedroom set and the dining room suite. I really don't like American 'dressing tables,' or bedroom furniture in general, and though cheaper, the quality aint the same unless you pay top dollar anyway....and even then!!! We bought an expensive dining room table and chairs 18 months ago and the veneer is blistering already- I'm in a fight with the firm that sold it to us as we speak.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Geordiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought my favorite lamps and had them converted to US standards. Potatoe peeler, Bath Sponges, HP Sauce, Bisto Gravy Powder, Mazipan (For Xmas Cake) Ready Brek and Jaffa Cakes are items I stock up on when I cross the pond.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my list:

Imperial Leather soaps - and if room perhaps their shower gels.

Radox bath salts

Anything you like from "Lush" Anything from "Boots" which you like, especially their No.7 brand cosmetics.

Huge jar of Branston pickle (from Makro wholesalers if poss, plus the catering size of Bisto gravy granules)

Swimming costumes, bras and knickers from Marks & Spencers

Duvet covers; v. expensive here and a very poor selection compared to the UK. Americans tend to use 'comforters' which is like a polyester-filled duvet with a sewn on cover which you can't change. I always look in Debenhams, M&S and Laura Ashley when the sales are on if I'm in England and usually buy some pretty duvet covers.

Believe it or not: A bucket with the cone for rinsing out mops! It took me months to find one for my kitchen and bathroom floors, then I found one in Target with the Vileda mop. They seemed to have stopped selling them again, and they sell a Vileda mop with some weird cover which you twist to drain the excess water.....but you get drips all over the floor. It's odd that all the local supermarkets sell an American version of the Vileda mops but no bucket with cones to drain them????

Your favourite recipe books and English kitchen scales! They use 'cup' measurements here. (Also they don't use stones or kilos to weigh - it's always in pounds, so if it's important to you, bring some UK bathroom scales! You will also want to acquire a US one if you hire skis and nurses often ask too)

Your Christmas decorations.

A selection of UK birthday cards. They're a bit 'twee' or have sickly messages (Hallmark cards especially) over here! Also Mother's Day in the States is in May - you won't be able to buy any here next March, they won't be in the shops!.

Maybe a nicely photographed/tourist book about England or your locality, or even a small fold-up UK road map. You will sometimes get pangs of homesickness, the first six months are the worst!

British comedy DVDs or any favourite Brit TV series; you can buy really cheap DVD players here (approx $40) which you can 'hack' in seconds to play DVDs from any zone.

Most of the other things I would bring have been mentioned already. Yes, it's true about the hot water bottles, I had to buy one in England too! (I think I once saw one in Walgreens pharmacy but it didn't have a soft cover).
:lecture:
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

[i] which you can 'hack' in seconds to play DVDs from any zone.:

Please tell me how to do this.....
Suzie
Old Apr 19th 2004, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what was on your list?

As I have mentioned in many threads, I wished I had brought my whirly washing line or bought one to bring. After a lot of searching I have one but it was expensive and hard to find.

Good idea the mothers day cards as I hate "MOM", my daughter constantly gets told at school to spell it that way and I hate it.
Suzie

Originally posted by helenw
Hi

I am planning ahead, always one who needs to make lists etc.! So.... your input will be valued here. (food aside) What Brit stuff did you take to the US with you that you are glad you did, or what would you take if you did it all again? And what would you leave behind?

Helen
Old Apr 19th 2004, 12:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suzieque
Please tell me how to do this.....
Suzie

There is a website with hacks for a wide variety of DVD players here:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php

I have the Cyberhome CH-300 DVD player. The advice on how to hack it is listed here, and the best instructions on how to hack it by pressing a few buttons on the remote control are dated 19th December 2003.

A South African expat whom I know bought hers online from:

http://www.bestbuy.com

It's currently only $39.99 with free delivery! I also noticed that there is a $5 mail-in rebate listed as well. (Radio Shack aka Tandy in the UK) also sells it but it's $10 more.

Another great thing is that this particular DVD player is dual-voltage so it can even be used in the UK....I might even buy a couple to take to England this Summer to give to my mum and sister.

It's an absolute steal at that price - so you might as well bring all your British (zone 2) DVDs with you in your shipment
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:13 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by helenw
Hi

Helen
you will miss everything you have grown acustomed to in the UK. after a while though you'll get used to the stuff over here. like now i'm yet to find a good bbq sauce that i like. but i'm sure by the time i'm leaving the US i'll be carrying with me a few bottles of their bbq sauce! how things change.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:06 pm

Originally posted by Gross50
you will miss everything you have grown acustomed to in the UK.

How true! I've just returned from the supermarket and I still miss Marks & Spencers Food Hall/Tescos/Waitrose/Safeway even after nine years!

My teenage son is a very picky eater (takes after his dad) and whenever I try something which I've spotted in the supermarket which I think he might like, he always says it tastes horrible! He won't even eat macaroni and cheese!

It's hot here today and I have a craving for the (British) Mars Bar ice-creams.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Body Spray... I have yet to find any I like here so I have my family tote cans of impluse for me.

Ash
Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:19 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
Food and beverages (good tea bags and galaxy choccie !!) aside, I brought sentimental stuff that I couldn't part with. Such as my 'good' English china, bone china from my Nan etc. Also, photo albums, clothes, shoes, cd's, my good Kef speakers, jewelry etc.
The shipping freighters go on size, not weight, so I didn't bring ANY furniture, I just bought it all here (I love Ethan Allen) plus it's cheaper here anyway. You can't bring electrical stuff over here, so that's decided for you - your computer should be ok as they are usually switchable between voltages, so if it's a good one worth bringing, then bring it (try to ship in original box)
Bring 'knick knacks' too, that remind you of home - it's always nice to see familiar things around the house so it feels like home. (your fave mugs, ornaments etc)
Tracy in Texas.
The Tea is not an issue, never liked the stuff! Always been a coffee drinker. I say I was destined to be an American! Choclate is not a prob either, I am diabetic! Strangely my kids love the American choccie!

As for the electrical stuff, my husband to be is an electrician and tells me it is not a problem. (he is optomistic!) As most houses in the US are wired up with 220 vaults (big things like washer / driers etc use 220 vaults I understand) he wants to wire the house up with both kinds of sockets! Not quite sure what he is doing about the different cycles, but I have faith!

Yes a lot o sentimental stuff is coming. I can't bear to part with it !!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:22 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by Taffyles
Ditto- bring anything that has sentimental value. I brought all my ornaments, china,TEAPOT, paintings, books, photos etc etc. One thing we have found invaluable, and I've never seen in the stores here, is a hot water bottle!! I'm going to get a few when I go home soon- as my son-in-law has ours on permanent borrow (he gets backache and loves the thing).

I gave the children carte blanche to bring anything at all they wanted..figured that was only fair. And I'm glad I did- my friend's daughter, who is now 27, has never let her mother forget that she wasn't allowed to bring her toys, in particular, Basil Brush- which couldn't be replaced here. So we shipped all their toys and knick knacks.

I wish I'd brought more furniture- my daughters bedroom suite which she is STILL trying to replace here and cant, our bedroom set and the dining room suite. I really don't like American 'dressing tables,' or bedroom furniture in general, and though cheaper, the quality aint the same unless you pay top dollar anyway....and even then!!! We bought an expensive dining room table and chairs 18 months ago and the veneer is blistering already- I'm in a fight with the firm that sold it to us as we speak.
I must admit a large wedge of what we bring will be the kids stuff. They will have to deal with enough stuff without loosing their things too! I don't know what furniture we are bringing yet. I know there are a few bits I am deffinatly bringing, like the chest of drawers that were mine as a child, and are now my daughter. Very well made they are, and very sentimental!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:28 pm
Essex Girl

Duvet covers; v. expensive here and a very poor selection compared to the UK. Americans tend to use 'comforters' which is like a polyester-filled duvet with a sewn on cover which you can't change. I always look in Debenhams, M&S and Laura Ashley when the sales are on if I'm in England and usually buy some pretty duvet covers.

Believe it or not: A bucket with the cone for rinsing out mops! It took me months to find one for my kitchen and bathroom floors, then I found one in Target with the Vileda mop. They seemed to have stopped selling them again, and they sell a Vileda mop with some weird cover which you twist to drain the excess water.....but you get drips all over the floor. It's odd that all the local supermarkets sell an American version of the Vileda mops but no bucket with cones to drain them????

Your favourite recipe books and English kitchen scales! They use 'cup' measurements here. (Also they don't use stones or kilos to weigh - it's always in pounds, so if it's important to you, bring some UK bathroom scales! You will also want to acquire a US one if you hire skis and nurses often ask too)

Your Christmas decorations.

A selection of UK birthday cards. They're a bit 'twee' or have sickly messages (Hallmark cards especially) over here! Also Mother's Day in the States is in May - you won't be able to buy any here next March, they won't be in the shops!.

Maybe a nicely photographed/tourist book about England or your locality, or even a small fold-up UK road map. You will sometimes get pangs of homesickness, the first six months are the worst!

British comedy DVDs or any favourite Brit TV series; you can buy really cheap DVD players here (approx $40) which you can 'hack' in seconds to play DVDs from any zone.

Most of the other things I would bring have been mentioned already. Yes, it's true about the hot water bottles, I had to buy one in England too! (I think I once saw one in Walgreens pharmacy but it didn't have a soft cover).
:lecture: [/QUOTE]

Ah see now this is what I wanted, practical stuff! Like the hotwater bottle sugestions! And I believe egg cups are hard to find too? Funny, I am building up my DVD collection before I go! I feel it is a good piece of britain I am taking with me for my kids! Almost like heritage!

Ohh and can I suggest www.moonpig.co.uk for cards? I order my mothers day cards etc there already, and they can send them direct to the 'other person' you can personalise them, even upload your signatre so it looks like you have signed it!
Old Apr 19th 2004, 9:32 pm
Essex Girl

Originally posted by Englishmum
How true! I've just returned from the supermarket and I still miss Marks & Spencers Food Hall/Tescos/Waitrose/Safeway even after nine years!

My teenage son is a very picky eater (takes after his dad) and whenever I try something which I've spotted in the supermarket which I think he might like, he always says it tastes horrible! He won't even eat macaroni and cheese!

It's hot here today and I have a craving for the (British) Mars Bar ice-creams.
Hmm, not sure... I did fall in love with the local supermarkets there... and we loved the food (but not the bread!!) I think I shall miss branston, but that might be it for me? The kids missed the variety of crisps when we were there for 5 weeks over Christmas, and bottled fruit 'squash' but adapted very well! We now have our US man bring stuff over here to the UK for us, like mac & cheese, ohh and the coffee mate hazelnut flavour!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.