Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is your daily commute to and from work?

What is your daily commute to and from work?

Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:04 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
Britain: 20-30 minute drive from outskirts of Glasgow through beautiful countryside to Blanefield.

US: Right turn out the door, left at the end of the road, straight across Charles Boulevard, across the campus parking lot to my office. 4-minute walk (unless there are cars on Charles, then it's 5 minutes). About 1,000 steps (no, I'm not anal, I wear a pedometer as part of my job).

On reflection, my UK commute was best. By the time I got home I was completely not thinking about work. But I can't really complain about my 4-minute walk either. Unless it's raining (which is almost never).
Sounds like a hellish existence...
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:09 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

My commute from Market Harborough to Leicester (18 miles) increased from 35 to 50 minutes over the 4 years I was there, and the journeys down the M1 / M25 / M2 to my family in Kent increased on average from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Here I drive all over Northern NJ, and find times are far more predictable, driving more relaxed, and the experience more pleasurable than in the UK. That said, there are huge potholes in some roads that scare the c**p out of me, and I do avoid most of the rushhours. I was in NYC the other day, and spent an hour moving 1 mile down 42nd St.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

My old commute (St Mary's Island, Chatham, Kent to Central London - ~30 miles):
  • Walk 200yds to bus stop
  • Wait an indeterminate length of time for bus to rail station
  • Sit on bus for between 10-20 minutes
  • Wait up to 20 minutes for train, depending on bus journey
  • Sit on train 45+ minutes, depending on a number of factors - leaves, snow, wind, sun, whatever
  • Walk 5 minutes to office
Total time = 1hr15min on a good day, 2hr+ on a bad day

My new commute (Cambrian Park, San Jose, CA to Santa Clara, CA):
  • Out of rush hour - 20 mins drive on freeways - 12 miles
  • In rush hour - 20-30 mins drive on surface streets - 10 miles
No contest, really...

Pat
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

95.5 PLJ is kinda like Capital Radio without Chris Tarrant.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:19 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

My last job in England was a 45 to 1 hour drive through nightmarish holidaymaker traffic, and getting stuck behind foreigners as they drive at 35 mph on a 60 stretch.

My first job in the U.S would be 1 1/2 hour on a good day, 2 hours on a bad.

My present job, is a real bummer, turn right out of the estate, drive through the resort style community (fishing pond, tennis court, waterpark and a 18 hole gold course) drive 3 miles through country side, one traffic light later, I'm at work, total of 10 mins. Its a hard life
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:26 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My current commute is great...10 minute drive along the North Circular and I'm there. The journey home is worse...about 30-40 minutes in the rush hour. I used to work in Victoria and it was an hour and a half by tube (including a 20 minute walk). I used to arrive home exhausted every day and I hate being crushed in the dirty sweaty tube. It always seemed worse in the afternoon when everyone had had time to get smelly! The morning was ok because people were freshly showered. I'm dreading the commute in Arizona because I won't know where the hell I'm going or how to drive on the wrong side of the road! :scared:
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:16 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I'm dreading the commute in Arizona because I won't know where the hell I'm going or how to drive on the wrong side of the road! :scared:

You'll learn.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your daily commute to and from work?

I swapped an hour door-to-door, on a good day, to work in London using SW Trains and London Transport (I'll leave how bad a bad day was to your imagination ), though curiously the journey home took consistently ten minutes longer, for a just over an hour's drive on a typical day (bad days are no worse than the trains and tubes in London managed to inflict upon me), followed by an eight minute walk, though the drive home is usually ten minutes shorter than the drive to work in the morning.

What I miss about my London commute is that I used to spend the time reading books, and it is difficult to do that when driving on the interstate, ..... though not impossible to judge by one driver I have seen while driving to work here in NC! :scared:
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It was 15 mins down the road for me in UK. Here its 45 mins (out of rushhour) - anything up to 11/2 hours (in rush hour).
Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is your daily commute to and from work?

Hi swapped a weekly commute from London to the Far East for a 1 1/2 hour trip from New Jersey to New York. BA had more ontimes that New Jersey Transit but at least my kids now call me dad.

at
Originally posted by whatever
I'm curious.......
Is it longer/shorter than your old commute in Britain?
Is it more or less stressful? - More or less expensive?

What about available transport (rail, buses), or do you just drive?