Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are you having for sunday lunch?

What are you having for sunday lunch?

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you having for sunday lunch?

Originally Posted by blaze
I've never liked Boston market, they always smell funny, I think it's the disinfectant that they use to wipe down the tables (yuck!). If I ever ate there again I would have to go through the drive thru so I didn't have to smell it (mind you, I don't think they have drive thru's do they?)
I'd rather have that disinfectant smell than say..... piss or sweat. Anyway, I don't eat off the tables. Do you?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:06 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

we had the traditional roast beef yorkshire pudd sprouts and what i love next best is some left for me for today's lunch to make a lovely roast beef sarnie with mustard and pickles
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:18 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK this week so went out for a curry for lunch with friends then back to my mum's for a full roast dinner, fantastic
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:19 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
Back in the UK this week so went out for a curry for lunch with friends then back to my mum's for a full roast dinner, fantastic
Fat b*st**d
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britontour

yeah miss my friday night curries, with friends sat night in the pub or a nice cosy restaurant and sunday roast lunch...weekends just aren't the same here...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Fat b*st**d

maybe he's just a 'big' boy
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:39 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah miss my friday night curries, with friends sat night in the pub or a nice cosy restaurant and sunday roast lunch...weekends just aren't the same here...

Nope, you've just got to find a new niche
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Nope, you've just got to find a new niche

hiya and yep you are so true...and i will keep on trying just haven't come up with anything that beats our old weekends....what do you all find to do on weekends... i see you are in Texas...do you do the pubby thing here or what??
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya and yep you are so true...and i will keep on trying just haven't come up with anything that beats our old weekends....what do you all find to do on weekends... i see you are in Texas...do you do the pubby thing here or what??
In Austin theres that pretentious "we're so cool and different" thing going on. We go out to the bars occasionally but I usually avoid the Brit-themed places because they are never very good (maybe I'm expecting too much). I gues I feel like there is not point in trying to replicate the "old days", because it aint going to happen here. So, you have to look at what they do well here. There are some great movie theatres here, and during the day theres alot of outdoor stuff. I guess if you've got mates in Houston, I'd have a barbeque and some decent imported beer. Create your own atmosphere (or world!).
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:02 am
Account Closed

In Austin theres that pretentious "we're so cool and different" thing going on. We go out to the bars occasionally but I usually avoid the Brit-themed places because they are never very good (maybe I'm expecting too much). I gues I feel like there is not point in trying to replicate the "old days", because it aint going to happen here. So, you have to look at what they do well here. There are some great movie theatres here, and during the day theres alot of outdoor stuff. I guess if you've got mates in Houston, I'd have a barbeque and some decent imported beer. Create your own atmosphere (or world!).

oh ok tks. yep i don't ever go to a country and look for england or wherever coz it's not there ...just like brits going to spain and eating fish n'chips and complaining coz they aren't like 'at home'...nahh paella or do the local thing. so we don't frequent the 'brit' bars here coz they are not anything like the british bars. we're not big into outdoor stuff, enjoy our pool/spa but not all this rah rah rah tail-gating stuff lol...ball games,camping or whatever they get up to...so for us it's pretty much 'oh well another day another dollar'.. there are some nice restaurants here but all is closed down by 11ish..lol nope not found anything to compare to our uk weekends....lol tried the comedy clubs but well with zero humour here that was a waste of time
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:03 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know you were in Austin.
My oh's sister lives there and I always though it would be worth paying her a visit at the same time as that south-by-southwest festival.
What's the festival like, would it be worth the effort to make the trip ??
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:10 am

Didn't know you were in Austin.
My oh's sister lives there and I always though it would be worth paying her a visit at the same time as that south-by-southwest festival.
What's the festival like, would it be worth the effort to make the trip ??

I have to admit I've only been to the free shows at SXSW but if you've got the cash and the time I'm sure its a blast. They use the local venues so be sure to get to your fave bands early. I think you have to buy a wristband for it but if the venue gets full, you're out of luck. Its not like Donnington or Reading though.
http://2006.sxsw.com/music/festival/...72327da6fb3c5c
The Austin Chronicle will show who will play where a bit nearer to the time.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:26 am
Thinking about it

I have to admit I've only been to the free shows at SXSW but if you've got the cash and the time I'm sure its a blast. They use the local venues so be sure to get to your fave bands early. I think you have to buy a wristband for it but if the venue gets full, you're out of luck. Its not like Donnington or Reading though.
http://2006.sxsw.com/music/festival/...72327da6fb3c5c
The Austin Chronicle will show who will play where a bit nearer to the time.
Thanks for the link.
That's some line up - arab strap, arctic monkeys, athlete, editors, electric soft parade, the flaming lips and goldfrapp stand out for starters and I really don't have the time right now to make it past G !!!
I'd imagine getting a hotel is out of the question and $525 for a wristband ain't cheap either
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:31 am

Thanks for the link.
That's some line up - arab strap, arctic monkeys, athlete, editors, electric soft parade, the flaming lips and goldfrapp stand out for starters and I really don't have the time right now to make it past G !!!
I'd imagine getting a hotel is out of the question and $525 for a wristband ain't cheap either
Maybe stay with your sis and watch the free shows!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:41 am
Thinking about it

Maybe stay with your sis and watch the free shows!
Looks like it.
I take it most of the shows are in pubs and the like ??
Could be an expensive trip alright if you buy the band then have to prop up the bar for 3 hours beforehand to make sure you get in.
Still, sounds like a good laugh. I will consult my bank manager

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.