British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What Yer Reading? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-yer-reading-349448/)

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:15 am

What Yer Reading?

When I arrived here I knew I had to find some sanity in the difficult first few months, so I went to bookshop and asked helpful staff member for recommendations on American fiction, he steered me to Chuck Palahniuk. bloody hell I am not easily shocked but has anyone read Choke, books were on 4 for 5 so I have more of him to read!! Currently reading the namesake by jhumpa lahiri bout a Bengali family settling in US - much more sedate. So what you reading?

cutina Jan 20th 2006 3:20 am

Re: What Yer Reading?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
When I arrived here I knew I had to find some sanity in the difficult first few months, so I went to bookshop and asked helpful staff member for recommendations on American fiction, he steered me to Chuck Palahniuk. bloody hell I am not easily shocked but has anyone read Choke, books were on 4 for 5 so I have more of him to read!! Currently reading the namesake by jhumpa lahiri bout a Bengali family settling in US - much more sedate. So what you reading?

hello there
sure those words aren't blurry from the booze yet:D

i'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, about a guy who was born a woman... same author as The Virgin Suicides (christmas present), and Life on Air by David Attenborough... if only it was so easy to get into the bbc these days...:rolleyes:
Both are really good

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cutina
hello there
sure those words aren't blurry from the booze yet:D

i'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, about a guy who was born a woman... same author as The Virgin Suicides (christmas present), and Life on Air by David Attenborough... if only it was so easy to get into the bbc these days...:rolleyes:
Both are really good

I'm taking this down, if i could make printer work wouldnt need to copy off screen!

cutina Jan 20th 2006 3:27 am

I'm taking this down, if i could make printer work wouldnt need to copy off screen!

wait... you're not photocopying the screen... are you?
:D

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:29 am

wait... you're not photocopying the screen... are you?
:D

looking for the any key

cutina Jan 20th 2006 3:30 am

looking for the any key

are you a fellow blonde?:o

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:31 am

are you a fellow blonde?:o

by peroxide and marriage to an American guess so

gruffbrown Jan 20th 2006 3:33 am

Pmsl :)

Celtic_Angel Jan 20th 2006 3:36 am

So what you reading?

actually nothing for the last few months ..which is odd for me cos I'm an avid reader.....like everything though I do tend to run in bouts .....when I do read I gorge myself.....unfortunately I don't read to learn and it's all novels for me...usually the thrillers etc...medical thrillers are the best but I've run out of authors so any recommendations?

I did find out about Jeffery Deaver on a similar thread a while back...and he was good....I just picked up a book at the library the other day...Mr Lucky by James Swain never heard of the author but hopefully it'll be good :)

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
actually nothing for the last few months ..which is odd for me cos I'm an avid reader.....like everything though I do tend to run in bouts .....when I do read I gorge myself.....unfortunately I don't read to learn and it's all novels for me...usually the thrillers etc...medical thrillers are the best but I've run out of authors so any recommendations?

I did find out about Jeffery Deaver on a similar thread a while back...and he was good....I just picked up a book at the library the other day...Mr Lucky by James Swain never heard of the author but hopefully it'll be good :)

They have libraries here?

gruffbrown Jan 20th 2006 3:38 am

and books, it's a wonderful place :rolleyes:

Partystar Jan 20th 2006 3:47 am

Yeah, it's where they keep the free DVD's, CD's & there are these things called 'books' that you can use to prop up your wonky table, they come in all sorts of sizes, thickness & colour to match your furniture!

Jaxbar Jan 20th 2006 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, it's where they keep the free DVD's, CD's & there are these things called 'books' that you can use to prop up your wonky table, they come in all sorts of sizes, thickness & colour to match your furniture!

Hey very timely Jay Leno is interviewing Amercians about what the last book is that they read...

Yeovillian tramp Jan 20th 2006 6:17 am

Just read The Kite Runner,very good.Can't remember the author though.Currently reading a series of books by Gerorge R.R Martin,on book 4 and getting a bit bored with it.Just bought Brokeback Mountain to read.....i'll let you know.
Heard alot about Terry Pratchett.......is he any good??

kevntrace Jan 20th 2006 6:45 am

Existentialism: From Dostoevsky to Sartre by Walter Arnold Kaufmann. Its a real page turner! :rolleyes: