Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it with the Yanks?

Wikiposts

What is it with the Yanks?

Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with the Yanks?

Originally posted by Robbie Doyle
Toxteth has a capital "T" and it would be Toxteth Costa, apology sent in advance.
Toxteth it is then, wouldn't want to insult the place now would I, the fine fishing village on the estuary that it is.

I'm glad you are sorry, wouldn't want to have to wait until tomorrow morning to receive your gracious retreat on the matter
Old Apr 8th 2004, 7:56 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some intresting points. manc is right, the Scots never had any land taken, they joined the union after disasterous atempts to set up trade routes and the eventual bribing of scottish nobles to sign the act of union. It was good for us, most of the great inventors and poets came after the act and industry flourished. Wales was a different matter...the English just kind of aquired the land without them noticing.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:14 pm
Robbie Doyle

Default Re: What is it with the Yanks?

Originally posted by manc1976
Toxteth it is then, wouldn't want to insult the place now would I, the fine fishing village on the estuary that it is.

I'm glad you are sorry, wouldn't want to have to wait until tomorrow morning to receive your gracious retreat on the matter
Fishing village? my arse! you can get tinned kippers and that's your lot pal.
Scouser goes into a shop in manchester (without capital M)
"Hey Pal! any turps?"
Mancunian "Yer woh? Music turps or Video Turps"

Retreat? nah

Old Apr 10th 2004, 8:42 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Wales was a different matter...the English just kind of acquired the land without them noticing.
Wasn't that something to do with the taffy traitor Henry VIII?

Cornwall was a similar story, as late as the 19th century you can find legal references to it being "extraterritorial to the English crown". Then the Local Government Act 1888 suddenly made it an English county with the stroke of a pen. I can see precious little evidence of the Cornish people ever having consented to this.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:39 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

I can see precious little evidence of the Cornish people ever having consented to this. [/QUOTE]

neither did they contest...?

Manc...just ban the troll, he's not as big or clever as he thinks he is
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:41 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people constantly bang the drum about Cornwall not being in England?
Personally if they don't want to be part of England then let them piss off IMO. Let them take their share of the national debt with them and lets see how Penzance and Newquay does on their own.

I don't owe the cornish anything.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:51 am
Robbie Doyle

Personally if they don't want to be part of England then let them piss off IMO. Let them take their share of the national debt with them and lets see how Penzance and Newquay does on their own.

You dozy twonk! if you did that, where would Manure Nitrate and Liverpool get their supporters from? BOMB CORNWALL!!! tell the bastard Yanks that Bin Laden is kipping there or that there is Oil been found there, anything, they'll invade and kick the shite out of the moaning tin mining gits.
Attached Thumbnails What is it with the Yanks?-what-fuck.gif  

Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:53 am
@matthewb76

a nice pleasant addition to the debate.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Being Cornish, I can say that the independence movement is more about identity and heritage than anything else, but few Cornish take it seriously. Most see it as just good fun - a source of regional pride.

Cornwall could never survive outside of England. There is no tin left, and cornering the pasty market is not enough to drive the local economy.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:01 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
but few Cornish take it seriously. Most see it as just good fun - a source of regional pride.
ooh like the SNP and Plaid Cymru then
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:06 am
Robbie Doyle

Being Cornish, I can say that the independence movement is more about identity and heritage than anything else, but few Cornish take it seriously. Most see it as just good fun - a source of regional pride.

Cornwall could never survive outside of England. There is no tin left, and cornering the pasty market is not enough to drive the local economy.
You forgot the Man U and Liverpool replica shirt market as well. Identity? we could all come that lark, the next thing we'll have is some Troggs or Haggis bashers telling us they want nation status. UK Ltd it is, UK Ltd it will stay. Get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails What is it with the Yanks?-piddle.jpg  

Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

ooh like the SNP and Plaid Cymru then
Its not that organized. C'mon - its Cornwall. The independence movement is just an excuse to get together for a few pints of cider and a few laughs.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:21 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by Robbie Doyle
You forgot the Man U and Liverpool replica shirt market as well. Identity? we could all come that lark, the next thing we'll have is some Troggs or Haggis bashers telling us they want nation status. UK Ltd it is, UK Ltd it will stay. Get used to it.
I say give Merseyside its own independence, we ALL want that, vast majority of replica shirts are made there anyway.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 8:12 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Cornwall could never survive outside of England.
Don't be such a pessimist. After all, they said Iceland could never survive outside Denmark and Belgium could never survive outside the Netherlands. Both are doing OK as far as I can tell.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:12 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by taira
I remember 7/11. I remember sitting there stunned watching all that happened.
Yeah I was pretty devastated when they closed the one near us too. But I soon found that the Speedway forecourt stores weren't too bad -you can get two maple links for 99c at the moment, and a large fountain drinks for 69c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.