Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:46 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you mean the Hush Puppy shoes you can definately get them in the UK. HP shops all over or at least there was when I lived there.

No, I'm sure they mean the fried balls of whatever it is that you get at seafood places, right?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:50 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I had the worst pizza ever in Chicago and it was supposed to be the best pizza restaurant in the world. Come to think of it most of them say that.

California Pizza Kitchen serve wonderful pizzas. You can now buy them frozen, in the supermarkets, regular and thin crust.
I've never understood the concept of 'thin crust'! Isn't the whole idea of a pizza having the crust itself? You might as well put your toppings on a piece of cardboard and have done with it if your going to go with the thin!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
All in the north, manchester, liverpool, Blackpool etc. Would have loved to have gone to the london one, that was where the big jazz acts played. did you see any?
I never saw any big acts at the London Pizza Express, mainly because I was a member of Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club for the 5 years I lived in London, and got to see just about every big name in jazz there instead. I'm sure it's changed, but back then you could get a year's membership for 40 quid, and then get into the club for a pound any night of the week except Saturday. That made it pretty much the cheapest club in central London... and they served cheaper beer than the local pubs!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

About 2 months ago my friend asked me what food would I miss if we went back to England. She was amazed when my honest answer was... absolutely nothing. I asked my husband and children the same question and they couldn't think of anything either. She still keeps asking whether I have thought of just one food I would miss and my answer is still the same.

I would miss my lovely house, the weather and the many friends we have made.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

...only thing I can think of ,foodwise,is Ranch Dressing don't know if they sell it in the UK though...
otherwise my Dodge van,and the sense of space,even though we live in a pretty small house,built in 1924(it's plenty big enough for us), it's sitting on a plot of land,100feetx100feet,the closest neighbours are no closer than 100 feet away,across the roads,it's close enough,yet still private ...everywhere I lived in the UK (if it was a house) always had good sized gardens,but when I think of them now I feel almost claustraphobic!...strange, because I never thought I'd get used to all this space!

There was another thread about the houses here being built of wood...but it's much easier to tear down walls and remodel, my husband has gutted,and rebuilt, the kitchen/dining room,bathroom,master bedroom closet and the entire porch(which he turned into another bedroom),and he completely built a two car garage plus work shop from scratch,all in the last 13 years...not to mention all the windows that he's changed, as well as the huge ten and half foot wide by five feet high living room window(which we always hated),he just ripped that out last summer and replaced it with two narrower windows with a wall between...I couldn't imagine what a hassle that lot would've been in the brick houses back in the UK,especially as he's all self taught and did the whole lot single-handedly!...just thinking of the expense that it would've been over there is mind-blowing....hasn't been inexpensive here,but at least we know it all went into the materials and we saved a small fortune on labour costs!!,....and as much screaming,bitching and nagging he does when he's doing the projects ....he does enjoy it!!!!....Sophia
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There was another thread about the houses here being built of wood...but it's much easier to tear down walls and remodel, my husband has gutted,and rebuilt, the kitchen/dining room,bathroom,master bedroom closet and the entire porch(which he turned into another bedroom),and he completely built a two car garage plus work shop from scratch,all in the last 13 years...not to mention all the windows that he's changed, as well as the huge ten and half foot wide by five feet high living room window(which we always hated),he just ripped that out last summer and replaced it with two narrower windows with a wall between...I couldn't imagine what a hassle that lot would've been in the brick houses back in the UK,especially as he's all self taught and did the whole lot single-handedly!...just thinking of the expense that it would've been over there is mind-blowing....hasn't been inexpensive here,but at least we know it all went into the materials and we saved a small fortune on labour costs!!,....and as much screaming,bitching and nagging he does when he's doing the projects ....he does enjoy it!!!!....Sophia[/QUOTE]

I think that unless a house in the UK is very old most of the internal walls are pretty much the same as the US, wood frame and plasterboard/sheet rock. Apart from the internal supporting wall which is breeze block or brick. So unless you are knocking outside walls down I don't think there should be a great deal of difference. Good for your hubby though, doing all the DIYing. We have been laying hardwood flooring and are on the last room, thank goodness. Its been backbreaking work but worth it and saved us $$$'s doing it ourselves.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:53 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I think that unless a house in the UK is very old most of the internal walls are pretty much the same as the US, wood frame and plasterboard/sheet rock. Apart from the internal supporting wall which is breeze block or brick. So unless you are knocking outside walls down I don't think there should be a great deal of difference. Good for your hubby though, doing all the DIYing. We have been laying hardwood flooring and are on the last room, thank goodness. Its been backbreaking work but worth it and saved us $$$'s doing it ourselves.
that is very true. I helped a friend put a picture up in her new home and the nail went right through from the kitchen to the sitting room We ended up having to put another picture up on the other side, just to cover up the whole!

I would miss the beaches. We have the best of both worlds here - small cove style villages with a mix of pebble and sand beaches like the south of england (Devon, Cornwall type) and on the south shore we have Mediterranean white sand and clear blue water style beaches. And, as you mentioned earlier, Jerseygirl, the beautiful blue skies all year round, no matter how cold it gets

I would miss my friends here. People seem to have more time for you here.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:57 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think there's any food here I would miss...I can't think of anything. Two and a half years in and I'm still missing a ton of English food. When I go home I let loose in Waitrose and I just wish they'd let me wheel a shopping trolley through customs! Let's face it...American food is shit. Over processed, artifical and tasteless shit. Compare a Krispy Kreme donut (lump of sugary fat) with a delicious fresh Waitrose jam donut....doesn't even compare.

That aside, I would miss the cheap sports nutrition and cheap bodybuilding supplements. If you look on the internet or join GNC's Gold Card scheme then things are really affordable, but back in England I needed to take out a second mortgage to afford anything in Holland & Barratt. I can take it all now on a daily basis. Plus getting to a gym is easy and quick, and they're huge, compared to back home wher it was really hard to find a gym that didn't take an hour to get to. When I was lucky to move into the next road to one, it was no bigger than my living room!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=blaze]We all have our favorite foods and restaurants in Britain that we just don't like being parted from living overseas (pie and chips anyone? ). If you moved back to Britain what foods would you spend all your time craving from the USA that you can't find in Britain?

Hardly anything . Salsa, perhaps, but it's available in the UK, I seem to eat more of it here. Oh yes - squash - I love squash with cottage cheese and salsa. That's all.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if we moved back to the UK the thing I would miss the most wasn't in my original reply. Maybe its because I just don't like to think about it. But without a question of a doubt it would be my daughter. She will be 21 in a few weeks time, she was just 11 when we came to the US and her life is here now.

Why isn't there a crying smiley 'cos I want to use one.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I've never understood the concept of 'thin crust'! Isn't the whole idea of a pizza having the crust itself? You might as well put your toppings on a piece of cardboard and have done with it if your going to go with the thin!
I think you have just put yourself on a Mafia hitlist. Say your prayers now!

NC Penguin
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think you have just put yourself on a Mafia hitlist. Say your prayers now!

NC Penguin
Feelin' a bit more like yourself tonight NC?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

And Lowes

And Sears tool department while we're at it.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And Lowes

And Sears tool department while we're at it.
That's exactly what my hubby would say. He can spend hours wandering around those places, can't understand why he doesn't feel the same way about shoe shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.