Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you do in this situation?

What would you do in this situation?

Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

Thanks everyone for yor support. It has helped make me feel better today. I suppose I'm going to get days like this
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Thanks everyone for yor support. It has helped make me feel better today. I suppose I'm going to get days like this
Yes you will and there's always someone around here to listen.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Oh my God, this is so much like the situation I am going through and we are not even in the US yet! My daughter is aged 16 (17 soon). I also have an 18year old son at Uni plus an 8 year old son and a 3 year old daughter.

My 16 year old daughter had a hissy fit when she found out about Houston. She decided to involve my mother (her maternal grandmother) and my older sister in the situation. We had a huge fight and the sad thing is that I no longer have any contact with either my mother or sister any more.

Since then, my daughter has acted out. She continuously pushes the boundaries. And I mean seriously. She has come home drunk, shouting and swearing at me etc.... I have tried to understand her behaviour and I do sympathise that she is leavinng her home and friends behind. So am I!

Anyway, I am really worried about the way she will be when we finally arrive in the US (early June). I suspect that as soon as things don't suit her, she will do the very same thing. It's a nightmare.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why do you think she'll have a better life here?
You've never been to bishopbriggs, have you?

Sorry, only kidding. bad joke from an ex-paisley man....
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why do you think she'll have a better life here?
Well, she can be insured until age 26 on her parents' heath insurance now

You raise a good question though. With the cost of college and the cost of health insurance, it's not at all clear to me that young people will have "a better life" here: those are two huge obstacles that have to overcome to establish oneself as a young adult here. And I suspect this is likely exacerbated by moving a child over at age 16, where the cultural differences have a significant impact on their lives. Personally I wouldn't want to move a child in either direction at that age; it's just a really tough thing to do.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 30th 2010 at 9:27 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Undefeckable
You've never been to bishopbriggs, have you?

Sorry, only kidding. bad joke from an ex-paisley man....
Have only been to Paisley once and that was in a hearse
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, she can be insured until age 26 on her parents' heath insurance now

You raise a good question though. With the cost of college and the cost of health insurance, it's not at all clear to me that young people will have "a better life" here: those are two huge obstacles that have to overcome to establish oneself as a young adult here. And I suspect this is likely exacerbated by moving a child over at age 16, where the cultural differences have a significant impact on their lives. Personally I wouldn't want to move a child in either direction at that age; it's just a really tough thing to do.
I think everyone' situation is different but after weighing up the pro's and con's before we came here, and believe me, it has taken a long time to get here, my kids won't have a worse way of life, and anything that I can give them that I couldn't before, whether that's monetary or me just being here for once, must be better. But I do agree that either way, this may have a significant impact on her, which is why I'm trying to decide what the best thing for her at the moment is going to be.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You could use the carrot/donkey technique. If she gives it her her best shot and works hard at school she could go back to the UK for uni. Although she would be classed as an International Student...but by then she may not want to go back to the UK.
Ah, the puppy sale technique... "buy the puppy, and if you don't like it bring it back"

No one ever brings back the puppy
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:14 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
All I can say is you are the parent and she is the child. Since when do her rights supersede what is best for the entire family?

Tell her she needs to finish high school and once she has done that she is free agent to choose where she wants to live and to support herself financially.
This.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not read the thread yet, I'll get there...

But it's almost the end of the school year, so no point in doing anything hasty...tell her to stick it out till at least the summer hols and see if things improve.

And tell the OH to sort himself out, crunch hours on a daily basis is a mugs game that they take the piss out of, you didn't move half way around the world to be someone nonces slave.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So no one else mention something wrong with the 13-14 hour work day?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It certainly forms an interesting juxtaposition with this comment by the OP:

...my kids won't have a worse way of life, and anything that I can give them that I couldn't before, whether that's monetary or me just being here for once, must be better.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Compared to our circumstances back home, what we can provide for them and the family time which we could have together is better than the UK, for us anyway. I hope
Ah well, 'better' is something the philosophers have been discussing for millenia.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Teenagers...Ugh !
I went through pretty much the same drama with my then 15 year old son when we had to move to Las Vegas NV from Sherman oaks CA, You would have thought that the world was ending by all the carrying on he did, I suppose from his point of view , the world indeed was ending. But we stuck to our guns and told him under no uncertain terms that he had no choice in the matter as he was underage and did not HOLD A FULL TIME JOB in order to support his living. He was miserable for the first 6-8 weeks and wasted no time letting us know about it. I had told him that during vacations he was free to stay with his mates back in California ( a 4 hour drive BTW..LOL ) and vice versa, but that basically we are going to be living in Las Vegas and he could either make the best of it and get over it, or stay in his room and sulk, the choice was entirely his own.
Needless to say that after his second day at school he started making friends and within 2 weeks he was completely in his comfort zone and discovering the wonders of Las Vegas with his new found friends. After 6 months he was so completely wrapped up in his new life and activities I do not think he ever gave his old life back in Cali a second thought other then having some of his old friends come out for a visit so he could show them the wonders of Vegas.
Teenagers are a fickle bunch, but the worst mistake I think one can make is to accommodate them and disregard the entire family unit. Moving is stressful on everybody, but to come down to brass tacks, she is underage and better she learn now that the whole world does not revolve around her and her whims. She has 2 more years of school and after she has completed her courses, if she still does not like it here, buy her a ticket and send her on her way back to the U.K.... Do not give in to her tantrums or disrespect, remind her she is still a kid and you and DH are still in charge of the family... I know this sounds a bit harsh, but I am tired of teenagers and their attitude.. shut the hell up and deal with the lot you have been given... Life can be so much worse, it is up to them to make the best out of the situation... and BTW my son is now 31 and his best friends to this day are the ones he made in Las Vegas.... Good luck and God bless.
Gregg
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah I thought much the same as you.

I also wonder how the daughter feels about dad never being around? Just a thought. I know when I was a teenager it didn't help that right around the same time as we moved to an area I hated my mum also turned her attention entirely from her children to her college course.

Other than that I agree with those who say give it a while. It takes a good year or two to settle properly in a country. It's a very valuable experience to do it, open your eyes, broaden your horizons, and realise that you can survive out of your comfort zone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.