Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you do/rude child!

What would you do/rude child!

Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do/rude child!

So I have the pleasure of my darling boyfriends daughters little playmate staying in the house,luckily she is leaving any time soon and I just have to voice this and would like to know what would you do!!

The child has been here since friday night and not spoken a word to me she did stay with the BF's daughter at a slumper party last night, but since getting back it, whoops she has looked at me with total contempt through her over sized glass's I am sure I saw a snarl earlier, well she had waltzed through the house out of the hot tub with wet feet scowled at me,.. and I just cooked the little madam dinner and she has not even said please or thank you.....so I gave my best Paddington bear stare back that did not work either.

Now am I being old fashioned but I so want to say to her when she leave's if she does not say anything.... "it would be nice if you said please and thank you"...... and I was brought up to say thank you for having me, like thats going to happen.

Do I soak it up or tell the little madam!! 10 yrs old lucky to see 11yrs if she was mine
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do/rude child!

I have absolutely problem telling someone they need to say please or thankyou. Example, my BIL asked me to get him something at a family dinner and I said 'please' promting him to say it, he didn't so I didn't do as he asked. His son ask for items to be passed across the table often at these family gatherings without saying please and I will do the same to him. See if she prefers please and thank you to going hungry!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
So I have the pleasure of my darling boyfriends daughters little playmate staying in the house,luckily she is leaving any time soon and I just have to voice this and would like to know what would you do!!

The child has been here since friday night and not spoken a word to me she did stay with the BF's daughter at a slumper party last night, but since getting back it, whoops she has looked at me with total contempt through her over sized glass's I am sure I saw a snarl earlier, well she had waltzed through the house out of the hot tub with wet feet scowled at me,.. and I just cooked the little madam dinner and she has not even said please or thank you.....so I gave my best Paddington bear stare back that did not work either.

Now am I being old fashioned but I so want to say to her when she leave's if she does not say anything.... "it would be nice if you said please and thank you"...... and I was brought up to say thank you for having me, like thats going to happen.

Do I soak it up or tell the little madam!! 10 yrs old lucky to see 11yrs if she was mine

Just tell her straight. It's what the ungrateful madam deserves. Learn her some manners, someone has to.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely ask her if she has left her manners at home, then tell her that in my home, no-one gets anything unless they are polite. Rudeness is anti social behaviour and especially so in someone else's home.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Just say "What's the magic word?" She'll recognize that as a prompt to say "please". Do you use that phrase in the UK? Just curious.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:17 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Just say "What's the magic word?" She'll recognize that as a prompt to say "please". Do you use that phrase in the UK? Just curious.
Yes we do, but Poppy said the little girl hasn't said any words to her yet, so that to me is down right rudeness and needs more than one word said.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Yes we do, but Poppy said the little girl hasn't said any words to her yet, so that to me is down right rudeness and needs more than one word said.
True. It's a delicate, somewhat passive aggressive way to get your point across though.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:20 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by KJ2007
True. It's a delicate, somewhat passive aggressive way to get your point across though.
I suppose it's better than grabbing her by the arm and holding up her back until she can learn to behave in a sociable manner.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:23 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am still waiting she is leaving any minute will position myself by the door and wait.....

Thanks all I have no kids of my own so was worried I was being nasty.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:24 am

Oh but its got a mouth on it I can her it as I type from my study and the door is closed, better get to the door quickly lol
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely ask her if she has left her manners at home, then tell her that in my home, no-one gets anything unless they are polite. Rudeness is anti social behaviour and especially so in someone else's home.
If that don't work, ask Ray to loan you his tazer!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
If that don't work, ask Ray to loan you his tazer!
You got it ..Taser the little shits ...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh but its got a mouth on it I can her it as I type from my study and the door is closed, better get to the door quickly lol
Waiting for an update ...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
You got it ..Taser the little shits ...
As if on cue
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:31 am
'In limboland'

I am still waiting she is leaving any minute will position myself by the door and wait.....

Thanks all I have no kids of my own so was worried I was being nasty.
Not at all. Any guest in your home should be on their best behaviour, no matter what age they are. My son is 22 now and still doesn't get away with any sign of bad manners in this house. If I put his dinner down in front of him, as opposed to him dishing it out himself and taking it to the table, he always says "cheers mum", or "thanks". Then when he's finished his meal, he asks if we're all done and then asks politely if it's okay for him to leave the table. He always offers food etc. to his guests to the house and if he asks me or his father for anything, he always says please and thank you. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means, far from it, but he is always polite and that's the way it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.