Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you deep fat fry?

What would you deep fat fry?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you deep fat fry?

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Cheddars down here does a Monte Cristo - Turkey, Ham and Cheese Sandwich battered and fried and served with raspberry jam - hubby loves them!
Never been in Cheddars - last time we tried that one at I-10 and Westgreen they told us the wait was 2.5 hours!! Err no thanks. Of course now the kids are desperate to go on the basis of if its that busy it must be good....

That sounds suspiciously like the sandwich I tried at Brannigans - man, how does he eat that?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

IMO the only food that should be deep fat fried are chips...like proper chip shop chips.

The thought of other food deep fat fried...especially if it's battered 'cos it soaks up the grease makes me want to

Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:51 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Of course now the kids are desperate to go on the basis of if its that busy it must be good....
You're not missing anything - my new fav is Jus Mac - all macaroni cheese!! Wee bit pricey for portion size but yummo!!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:59 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Aslong as the frying temp is right, a lot of places don't fry hot enough or they use old fat and it just doesn't seal and cook like it should!

FISH! Right now that's all I would fry, in good batter, fish. Maybe a sausage!

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Jan 27th 2011 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Aslong as the frying temp is right, a lot of places don't fry hot enough or use old fat and it just doesn't seal and cook like it should!

FISH! Right now that's all I would fry, in good batter, fish. Maybe a sausage!
Battered sausage is the way to go. I miss being able to get those, and curry chips from the local chippy
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:02 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO the only food that should be deep fat fried are chips...like proper chip shop chips.
Surely you need a bit of fish to go with those FISH'n'chip shop chips?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Battered sausage is the way to go. I miss being able to get those, and curry chips from the local chippy
Love them. When I go back to the UK and go to the chippy we've been going to for the last 30-odd years, the lady always give's me a battered sausage to eat while I'm waiting for our order. A sort of appetizer, on the house I guess.....

No wonder I always come back 10 pounds heavier.....
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Love them. When I go back to the UK and go to the chippy we've been going to for the last 30-odd years, the lady always give's me a battered sausage to eat while I'm waiting for our order. A sort of appetizer, on the house I guess.....

No wonder I always come back 10 pounds heavier.....
I was mildly addicted to them, and I only lived a 10 minute walk away from the chippy so nipping out for a quick fag soon became dinner too
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm probably over thinking this, and I know they are deep fried to begin with but I wonder what battered chips would taste like?
My local did what was known as a "collop," which I figure was some kind of bastardization of scallop -- large slices of potato, battered, and deep fried. Similar to a "sandwich" -- big slices of potato with some fish in between, battered and fried -- but minus the fish. Very good. And I'll have scraps with mine, please!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
My local did what was locally known as a "collop," which I figure was some kind of bastardization of scallop -- large slices of potato, battered, and deep fried. Similar to a "sandwich" -- big slices of potato with some fish in between, battered and fried -- but minus the fish. Very good. And I'll have scraps with mine, please!
That sounds bloody good . . .
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I think a whole tater, deep fried and on a stick would be good.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think a whole tater, deep fried and on a stick would be good.
Simple but effective! I don't think there's any way that can't be good . . .
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm... I'd have to give this subject some deep thought...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hmmmmm... I'd have to give this subject some deep thought...
Deep fried battered sprouts?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Deep fried battered sprouts?
Maybe a deep fried munchy box . . .

I should stop reading food threads close to lunchtime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.