British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What would you deep fat fry? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-would-you-deep-fat-fry-702586/)

Bob Jan 27th 2011 2:54 pm

What would you deep fat fry?

Flicking through tele last night, one of those cooking shows had a place that would deep fat fry anything for you....kind of gross, yet awesome at the same time.

So what would you fry?

I'm thinking a battered, deep fat fried BLT could be good :D

ChocolateBabz Jan 27th 2011 3:02 pm

Re: What would you deep fat fry?

Sandly I don't have a deep fat fryer so will be relying on the Houston Rodeo once again this year to provide my deep fried treats. Last year it was oreos and of course the famous chicken fried bacon. I know that Nigella likes a deep fried bounty and I come from Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire home of the deep fried mars bar.

Also I find if you call anything deep fried 'tempura' it sounds much healthier :thumbsup:

Leslie Jan 27th 2011 3:07 pm

• Deep Fried S'mores Pop-Tart
  • Fried Chocolate
  • Deep Fried Frozen Margarita
  • Fried Lemonade
  • Fernie's Fried Club Salad
  • Texas Fried Caviar
  • Fried Beer Texas
  • Fried Frito Pie
http://eater.com/archives/2010/08/25...fry-it-all.php

I think the Fried Frito Pie won this year.

Brucky Jan 27th 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 9132987)
  • Deep Fried S'mores Pop-Tart
  • Fried Chocolate
  • Deep Fried Frozen Margarita
  • Fried Lemonade
  • Fernie's Fried Club Salad
  • Texas Fried Caviar
  • Fried Beer Texas
  • Fried Frito Pie
http://eater.com/archives/2010/08/25...fry-it-all.php

I think the Fried Frito Pie won this year.

I tried a deep fried Oreo once. It will be my last lol!

Bob Jan 27th 2011 3:13 pm

What's texas caviar? cow knackers?

Fried booze could be good though :D

Leslie Jan 27th 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9133001)
What's texas caviar? cow knackers?

Fried booze could be good though :D

Texas Fried Caviar – Texas version of a southern good luck staple. Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with special spices blended with Old Bay® Seasoning and are available in regular or spicy. Find them in Cotton Bowl Plaza (next to Cotton Bowl steps), inside the Auto Building, near Big Tex & on the Thrillway.

dgsyd1 Jan 27th 2011 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9132955)
Flicking through tele last night, one of those cooking shows had a place that would deep fat fry anything for you....kind of gross, yet awesome at the same time.

If it's the same show I saw, I must say I particularly like the guy with the t-shirt that had the work "bollocks" on it. Made my day. :rofl:

SultanOfSwing Jan 27th 2011 3:21 pm

I'm probably over thinking this, and I know they are deep fried to begin with but I wonder what battered chips would taste like?

My local chippy did a great battered sausage and I had a nice battered burger in Edinburgh so I can only imagine battered, double deep fried chips would be perfection. Smother them in chippy curry sauce, couple of (jars of) pickled onions to go with it . . .

Mmmmmm, bliss :)

Yorkieabroad Jan 27th 2011 3:22 pm

Taco Bell 99c taco anyone?

Brannigans used to do a deep fried sandwich...can't remember what it was called...I ordered it once by mistake, ate a quarter and felt sick...wonder if it was partly responsible for their downfall......

Bob Jan 27th 2011 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dgsyd1 (Post 9133022)
If it's the same show I saw, I must say I particularly like the guy with the t-shirt that had the work "bollocks" on it. Made my day. :rofl:

I think it was :lol:

Bob Jan 27th 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9133029)
Taco Bell 99c taco anyone?

Brannigans used to do a deep fried sandwich...can't remember what it was called...I ordered it once by mistake, ate a quarter and felt sick...wonder if it was partly responsible for their downfall......

Brannigans still around? I think they've all closed in MA, or it seemed so...but then everyone gets food poisoning from that place, well everyone we knew who went in the past, and myself that one time :lol:

cluedweasel Jan 27th 2011 3:36 pm

When I was kid, our local chippy sold Pizza. They'd grab a frozen one, unwrap it and throw it straight into the fryer. I remember them as being really good, but that was back in the days before proper Pizza places in the UK.

ChocolateBabz Jan 27th 2011 3:37 pm

Cheddars down here does a Monte Cristo - Turkey, Ham and Cheese Sandwich battered and fried and served with raspberry jam - hubby loves them!

Yorkieabroad Jan 27th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9133041)
Brannigans still around? I think they've all closed in MA, or it seemed so...but then everyone gets food poisoning from that place, well everyone we knew who went in the past, and myself that one time :lol:

Yeah, they're all closed down round here too. Think the whole chain went under. Only went to one once.......

Lakersdarge Jan 27th 2011 3:40 pm

I always wanted to try one of those deep fried turkeys at Thanksgiving, instead of the traditional roasted kind. They sell those big fryers at some stores, but they're not cheap for only using once a year, and the oil is probably going to cost a bit too...