Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you ask for?

Wikiposts

What would you ask for?

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:31 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
lemsip
lemsip
lemsip
lemsip
lemsip
lemsip
proper sausages
Yorkshire puds the size of a spaceship
lemsip

Did I mention Lemsip

Patrick
Bloody hell! I forgot LEMSIP !!! How they drink the vile chemical stew they call "flavor select hot lemon and honey" over here I'll never know.

One thing I'll say for Texas - you can find some damn fine sausages. Just had venison and blueberry sausages as fine as any served by the Old Sussex Brewery (but minus the lovely pint of Badger Bitter, sadly).

...but you need Yorkshire puds brought over for you?!? My lovely Yorkshire wife makes beautiful Yorkshire puds without any secret ingredients hand-carried from far off lands
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

My Sister arrives on Tuesday and she will be bringing chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Cream Eggs, Thorntons misshapes, Thorntons fondant mice and pigs (yummy) and all the new chocolate that has surfaced since we left

She is also bringing cup a soup, casserole mix, M & S knickers (no-one does knickers like M & S) magazines. I agree with the above the American versions of Marie Claire and Cosmo etc., are fluff compared to the UK ones.

My local Kroger has been getting very good lately on what they stock. It seems every time we go they have added something to their line up and we can't be the only ones buying Heinz spaghetti in bulk as it does seem to go down quickly
Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:13 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ScousePete
Is she being airlifted in?

The deal is she fill her suitcases with all our stuff and I launder the few clothes she manages to squeeze in a lot We did give her a nice new wheelie suitcase to help
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:03 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot about the Cider...not a big drinker of the stuff but the odd pint of Dry Blackthorn went down a treat. Whats the point of alcohol free cider? I may as well drink fizzy apple juice.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:37 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Paracetamol and soluble aspirin, certainly can't get the latter here.

Don't ask me why we need them but we do, staples of the medicine cabinet, yet oddly never used.

Oh, and less I forget, Bovril! Yuck.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

God I can't believe no ones mentioned Heinz Salad Cream.....my friend came over from England last Monday and only brought a piddly jar of Marmite and Ploughmans Pickle....WHAT!!!! Who's ever heard of that shite!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:10 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandwich spread too...though I know its a lot more common here these days too, though can't imagine any American putting it in their ruben's.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nescafe Gold Blend

Has to be a big jar of Nescafe Gold Blen.
The powdered coffee out here is awful, and the fresh brew stuff (like Folgers) is not much better. At work we have people who put two whole sachets in the coffee brewer in the hope that it might taste better (hint, it doesn't, it just mulitplies the cr@p taste!).

- Tim
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lisa England
God I can't believe no ones mentioned Heinz Salad Cream.....my friend came over from England last Monday and only brought a piddly jar of Marmite and Ploughmans Pickle....WHAT!!!! Who's ever heard of that shite!!
You might want to consider that friendship with that particular "friend"....
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:07 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I met a girl in a bar tonight who lived in England for 3 years when her husband was posted there in the Air Force. She wants Branston pickle, HP sauce and Heinz baked beans brought over for her the next time someone visits.

Patrick
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:18 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: What would you ask for?

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Well, tickets are booked and my mother is on her way to visit us in the US in 4 weeks. This morning I got that email saying 'start telling me fron now what you would like me to bring'.

That's my question? What shall I ask for? What would you ask for?

Ribena
Hob Nobs
That's Life magazine
Thorntons toffee's

That's all I've gotten so far. Any ideas?

CB
Herself, safe and sound.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

My list when anyone comes over:

Teabags, teabags, teabags,
Oxo cubes,
Gravy browning,
Mixed herbs,
Colmans Chicken Chasseur sauce mix,
Blancmange sachets,
Turkish delights,
Maynards wine gums,
Instant gravy granules for stews,
Curry powder,
McDougalls sponge flour,
Hermasetas.
Marks and Sparks knickers, shirts for hubby, and luxury chocolates.

I can get most everything else here.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:52 pm
Essex Girl

HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nescafe Gold Blend

Originally posted by TimFountain
Has to be a big jar of Nescafe Gold Blen.
The powdered coffee out here is awful, and the fresh brew stuff (like Folgers) is not much better. At work we have people who put two whole sachets in the coffee brewer in the hope that it might taste better (hint, it doesn't, it just mulitplies the cr@p taste!).

- Tim
What is it with the coffee? I got Instant Nescafe 'tasters choice' in Jewel and It appears to be identical to gold blend. I saw a lot of it about. I was well pleased as I didn't think i would be able to get any 'proper coffee' lol
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:18 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm coming over in a few weeks, one case is already packed with goodies for my friends and ourselves.

Food stuff: PG Tips, Choc Hob Nobs, Tea Time assortment biscuits, branston pickle, cadbury fruit and nut, tesco sea kelp shampoo (best thing we've found to keep dandruff at bay). Boots shaving soap in a bowl.

Sweets: Liquorice wheels, rubarb and custard sweets, pear drops, cola cubes. (I hid them and use them when I need to bribe the husband)

Magazine: Auto trader, Yours, She

Wine: Good French wine, red and white, bought in France for about $3 a bottle.

What is suprising is that everything sharp or missile looking it taken off you before you can get on a plane, but glass bottles of wine are ok. Given that a broken bottle is the preferred weapon of many a drunken lout on a saturday night, why are such weapons allowed on planes?
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Taffyles: Did you know that all the Marks & Spencers chocolates are made by Thorntons? (Much nicer than Godiva chocs I think, which in my opinion are over-rated).

I thought of another couple of useful things to get someone to bring across:

A bottle of TCP. (Brilliant for sore throats when you dare not overdose on Lemsip)

A 'Vanish' stain bar of soap. Better than "Shout".

Oh, and something else - I don't know if it's being discontinued as it was difficult for me to find on my last trip to England, but I really love the "Mint Source" brand of shampoos and conditioners. (There is also the "Orange Source" with an orange smell too). The "Mint Source" in particular It makes your scalp tingle and it makes your look and hair smell great, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.