Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would be my chances of an H1-B Visa?

What would be my chances of an H1-B Visa?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be my chances of an H1-B Visa?

Inferno
Again good luck. From what you said "As a buyer I have contacts worldwide" this is the thing to emphasize that many Americans may lack....international experience.

And again, much easier to do within a company that has US offices.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Infern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really niceInfern0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hotscot
Inferno
Again good luck. From what you said "As a buyer I have contacts worldwide" this is the thing to emphasize that many Americans may lack....international experience.

And again, much easier to do within a company that has US offices.
Thankyou my friend.

Sorry if i come across as arrogant, well.. I am an arrogant SOB, but I think if you are wanting to embark on an adventure like this, you need a bit of that. Otherwise you would give up and call it hopeless at the first hurdle.

Thank's for the advice, it will certainly be a learning process of what I need to highlight to crack the immigration code so to speak.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't denigrate yourself by calling yourself arrogant...think of it as being ambitious...America likes that.

I also do think if you want something enough you'll find away, and at least there are a few ways of doing it. I didn't come here until I was 38, now I'm 50 with no idea where my 40's went.

(Initially I was going to move to Manhattan, but at the time it was miserable and cold and I thought..beaches and sunshine...so I moved to California. Now that I've been here 12 years my American wife says to me that she wants to live in the UK for a while. So we're planning on coming home in five years and stay long enough till she gets her UK citizenship. I'm dying for a proper pint, curry, sausage rolls, pork pies, Bakewell tart and custard.)
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infern0

As a buyer I have contacts worldwide...

This sentence is the key to getting what you want!

Don't waste time applying for posted vacancies. Level the playing field yourself. Start building close relationships with innovative retailers. Find friends and contacts at places like Anthropologie, Gap, Banana Republic. Go hang out at industry conferences in the US, get people drunk and make friends.
Then pitch them on some new way of doing business that will save them money, make them rich, enhance the bottom line.

Then, when they have a vacancy, they will brave hell and high water (and the HR stonefaces) to bring on board that dynamic Brit guy. Done. OMG his accent is so cute.

Getting the job offer is way harder than figuring out how to do the visa...

http://www.fastcompany.com/most-inno...ndustry/retail