Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:02 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I thought the correct geographical name was in Lieu of, which is hard by East Cupcake or West Overshoe ( I can never keep those 2 straight).
Where the train goes over the cliff Cind?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Where the train goes over the cliff Cind?

I think so, and you know something? I have dreams that I am tied up with ropes on the track on the way to the cliff. Wait, that might be the one I confuse with the buckboard and the runaway horses.

Well all I know is there's always a Mountie.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Our day to day living costs for a family of 3 in Florida (not counting the horrors of health care costs) were approximately...

Per month:

Housing (Mortgage + Insurance + Property tax) - $1975
Utilities - $350
Car running costs (fuel, insurance, tag, servicing etc) (x2) - $500 = $1000
Food (Just standard Publix - like Tescos - shopping) - $1200

So just monthly bills were about $5000 per month before any "luxuries"

In the UK our out goings fo similar are:
Housing - £950
Utilities - £120
Cars (x2) - £200 = £400
Food - £280

Monthly UK bills are about £1750.

In the US we lived in a 3 bed detached home. In the UK we live in a 3 bed detached home.

Therefore our UK basic cost of living is nearly 1/3 that of our US one.

EVEN IF you choose to apply the misconception of the exchange rate (which you cant because when you live there and earn in $$ there is no exchange rate) our UK cost of living is still nearly half.

If you have never lived in another country don't get wrapped up in the Rip Off Britain crap...it's just another media lie.
It's not always a lie. Your figures provide an interesting comparison--no wonder you are happy to be back home! I am shocked at the US grocery prices-I've never noticed that high of a mark-up when we've been to Florida. It's impossible to generalise:

US out-goings:
Housing (Mortgage + Insurance + Property tax) - $1200
Utilities - $450
Car running costs (fuel, insurance, tag, servicing, no MOT here) (x1 new and 1 used) - $600
Food/groceries (Kroger, farmer’s market, and Sam’s club) - $650

Monthly bills are about $2900.
-One full-time/one part-time salary = UK wages X 1.8 ($100K, for example)
-Home worth $300K
-45-50 hr work week (him) and 15-20 (her) with 4 weeks off per year
-20 minutes commuting time (him) and 0 (her-working from home)
-Deducting mortgage interest + property tax nets an additional 25% of those costs back

UK out-goings:
Housing - £1400
Utilities - 200
Cars (x1) + monthly travelcards= £400
Food (Tesco/Waitrose and M&S)- £500

Monthly UK bills of £2500
-two full time salaries (£60K, for example to compare with above)
-Flat worth £325K
-45-50 hr work week (him) and 37 (her) with 5 weeks off per year
-3 hour commuting time per day (him) 2.5 hrs (her)

In the US we live in a 4 bed detached home. In the UK we lived in a 2 bed London flat, and our out-goings took a larger percentage of our income. We have two young children—grocery/food costs include nappies, etc.

I guess it's clear why we'd rather not move back to London...but we are thinking about other possibilities.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
It's not always a lie. Your figures provide an interesting comparison--no wonder you are happy to be back home! I am shocked at the US grocery prices-I've never noticed that high of a mark-up when we've been to Florida. It's impossible to generalise:

US out-goings:
Housing (Mortgage + Insurance + Property tax) - $1200
Utilities - $450
Car running costs (fuel, insurance, tag, servicing, no MOT here) (x1 new and 1 used) - $600
Food/groceries (Kroger, farmer’s market, and Sam’s club) - $650

Monthly bills are about $2900.
-One full-time/one part-time salary = UK wages X 1.8 ($100K, for example)
-Home worth $300K
-45-50 hr work week (him) and 15-20 (her) with 4 weeks off per year
-20 minutes commuting time (him) and 0 (her-working from home)
-Deducting mortgage interest + property tax nets an additional 25% of those costs back

UK out-goings:
Housing - £1400
Utilities - 200
Cars (x1) + monthly travelcards= £400
Food (Tesco/Waitrose and M&S)- £500

Monthly UK bills of £2500
-two full time salaries (£60K, for example to compare with above)
-Flat worth £325K
-45-50 hr work week (him) and 37 (her) with 5 weeks off per year
-3 hour commuting time per day (him) 2.5 hrs (her)

In the US we live in a 4 bed detached home. In the UK we lived in a 2 bed London flat, and our out-goings took a larger percentage of our income. We have two young children—grocery/food costs include nappies, etc.

I guess it's clear why we'd rather not move back to London...but we are thinking about other possibilities.
I've never been to Columbus, Ohio (although my best friend here lived there and nearly died of boredom and moved as soon as she could to NYC!) but I don't see how you can compare living costs there to living costs in an international city like London.

I've seen those expat COLA charts with the price of such things as groceries and utilities (COLA = Cost of Living Allowance) which some consultants produce for HR departments who need to move their staff around the world. They include major cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, Sydney, Paris, Moscow etc. I've definitely never seen Columbus on any of them!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've never been to Columbus, Ohio (although my best friend here lived there and nearly died of boredom and moved as soon as she could to NYC!) but I don't see how you can compare living costs there to living costs in an international city like London.

I've seen those expat COLA charts with the price of such things as groceries and utilities (COLA = Cost of Living Allowance) which some consultants produce for HR departments who need to move their staff around the world. They include major cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, Sydney, Paris, Moscow etc. I've definitely never seen Columbus on any of them!

We have about the same (material) standard of living we had in the UK. Cost of property in this area is around the same price as the area we are looking at in the UK.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned....college fees...kiss goodbye to 10's of thousands per year...and over a longer period of time than in the UK.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Just listing my budget like Old William did...or so I thought? Guess that's unaceptable for some unknown reason? Did Old William move from two comparable cities then, and therefore his budget is gospel and mine is rubbish?

William was saying that 'rip off Britain is a myth, and I was merely saying that it's not...and I was curious as to how his grocery bill went from 1200 to 280 quid?

I'm well aware of COLA, and well aware that Columbus is 13% lower than London based on COLA data (according to HR, although it's actually much less).

Last edited by jen_andreson; Dec 20th 2006 at 10:15 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:13 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly!
I have been looking into costs in my home town in Northants and they are no where near the London prices quoted here- if they were I would be running scared I can tell you. But comparing with my current town spokanistan is a fair one I feel, since Spokane and Rushden are similarly placed in their prospective countries and offer about the same amenities.
It is way cheaper in my home town of Rushden in all areas but housing- yet even then I can afford a terrace with 3 bedrooms which will be $600 less than my US mortgage.
Groceries- comparing Sam's club and farmers markets to M and S? well you get what you pay for there.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hayley
My thoughts exactly!
I have been looking into costs in my home town in Northants and they are no where near the London prices quoted here- if they were I would be running scared I can tell you. But comparing with my current town spokanistan is a fair one I feel, since Spokane and Rushden are similarly placed in their prospective countries and offer about the same amenities.
It is way cheaper in my home town of Rushden in all areas but housing- yet even then I can afford a terrace with 3 bedrooms which will be $600 less than my US mortgage.
Groceries- comparing Sam's club and farmers markets to M and S? well you get what you pay for there.
We buy nappies and bog roll (bulk items) at Sams...not food!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:17 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

We buy nappies and bog roll (bulk items) at Sams...not food!
Bloddy well hope so an' all!
What is krogers? is it anywhere as good as m and s and waitrose?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Columbus for 18 months and hated it, although I'm not mad about this part either it's still way better than Ohio.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britvic
We lived in Columbus for 18 months and hated it, although I'm not mad about this part either it's still way better than Ohio.
I never said Columbus was great, but I've no complaints as far as a place to rear children. My husband had the chance to work here (it's home for him) and it worked out. His Mum is here in a nursing home (age 60) and we wanted to spend her last years near her--so that the children will remember her. She will probably not see too much of 2007, and then we'll think about moving back to the UK (or elsewhere in the US)
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

None of them are anywhere near as good as M&S or Waitrose
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:22 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hayley]Bloddy well hope so an' all!
What is krogers? is it anywhere as good as m and s and waitrose?[/QUOTE]

Not even a little bit alike
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nah, just our local midwest supermarket. Probably like Albertson's in your part of the world? Only listed stores as that is what Old William did--if we didn't buy nappies and such at Sam's our grocery bill would probably be higher. I'm still shocked at his comparison though--$1200 a month on groceries?

You have a little one (and congrats on the one on the way)...do you have to shell out that much?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never said Columbus was great, but I've no complaints as far as a place to rear children. My husband had the chance to work here (it's home for him) and it worked out. His Mum is here in a nursing home (age 60) and we wanted to spend her last years near her--so that the children will remember her. She will probably not see too much of 2007, and then we'll think about moving back to the UK (or elsewhere in the US)
Sorry about your MIL 60 is no age really My Hub's comes from Ohio, well he calls it bum f**ked Ohio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.